Streets 51 and 172 looking worse than ever?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
thold
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Streets 51 and 172 looking worse than ever?

Post by thold »

independencequarter wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 pm Looks a bit better than this though, doesn't it? Poland is by no means a third world country and it has grown to be one of the larger economies in Europe.
Poland? Europe's largest economies? Fox propaganda. In fact, they are the beneficiaries of international aid, the police beat dissidents on the streets and the power in Warsaw is held by a racist, nationalist junta. That sounds like a Third World, doesn't it?
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

independencequarter wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:27 pm
thold wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:41 am I don't understand expats who are complaining about the mess here. It is how it is. Cambodia still looks much better than Third World countries in Europe such as Poland, Moldova or Ukraine. If anyone wants a tidy neighborhood, let them move to Switzerland. BTW comments about "weird-looking" Africans are distasteful and racist.
How is Poland a third world country? And no it doesn't look worse than Cambodia, you're delusional. Even in Ukraine there's less trash around and the cities are in general quite clean, and beautiful.
Kiev is a fantastic city, and Lvov also an attractive place. I've also been to Odessa and I don't remember any kind of issue with rubbish at all.

I'm currently in Portugal by the way, and they have what seems like a pretty good system. They don't have collections from home, but there are bins in convenient places (colour coded for different materials) which everyone takes their stuff to and it gets collected every day.

Obviously there is an issue with rubbish etc in Phnom Penh, but it's thankfully rarely overwhelming in my experience. People I'm sure are thankful for the great job the guys who have to pick it all up do, even if there might not be enough of them. I've sat on 51 street and watched them getting up every last bit of crap off the road, and felt like giving them a standing ovation at the end.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

So are they gonna renovate the whole shabby areas of 172 and the like? Looks like some places are needing it.

I heard rumours a while back that it was supposed to be a possible future project.
independencequarter
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by independencequarter »

thold wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:53 am
independencequarter wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 pm Looks a bit better than this though, doesn't it? Poland is by no means a third world country and it has grown to be one of the larger economies in Europe.
Poland? Europe's largest economies? Fox propaganda. In fact, they are the beneficiaries of international aid, the police beat dissidents on the streets and the power in Warsaw is held by a racist, nationalist junta. That sounds like a Third World, doesn't it?
You're not European right? I would never in my right mind turn on Fox. It is true that they are still receiving more money from the EU than what they pay but they have also had a steady economic growth for decades now. Only country in Europe that had economic growth during the crisis following 2008. Doesn't the police bear dissidents on the streets pretty much everywhere these days? Not saying that is right but Poland is definitely a more democratic and stable country than many other traditionally "western" European nations.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

If Europe is so great with fantastic beers and even quite affordable depending where u stay, why the hell are peeps still ending up on the rubbish strewn streets of 51 & 172 streets. , then genius?

:lol1:
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 pm If Europe is so great with fantastic beers and even quite affordable depending where u stay, why the hell are peeps still ending up on the rubbish strewn streets of 51 & 172 streets. , then genius?

Because they are mostly losers who can't make it in Europe anymore?
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

King Keil wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:49 pm
shnoukieBRO wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 pm If Europe is so great with fantastic beers and even quite affordable depending where u stay, why the hell are peeps still ending up on the rubbish strewn streets of 51 & 172 streets. , then genius?

Theres a lot of retired peeps that could choose though. If Europe is so great why don't they?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:31 am

Theres a lot of retired peeps that could choose though. If Europe is so great why don't they?
The simple answer is the climate
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

AndyKK wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:25 am

Definitely. I much prefer the company of beautiful Khmer women when the weather's nice.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Foreigner wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:30 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:25 am

Definitely. I much prefer the company of beautiful Khmer women when the weather's nice.
Wot. On the famous 'rubbish strewn streets of 172 and 51 street'?
How exotic😁
Plus there's some pretty cute Eurobabez!

Answer: It can "only" be the climate then. :salut:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic