The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

Atst mentioned this place in the post above, last night myself and my partner decided to go and check out the place. The Indian punjabi kitchen restaurant, there was a customer, an elderly western gentleman and his Khmer lady seated near the entrance of the restaurant has we arrived then a group of four Indian people sat eating.
The owner and staff of the restaurant were nice and patient not to rush us while we looked at the menu, that is the main thing that I don't like, being rushed by a waiter taking the order. I ordered two lassies to give us more time to choose, unfortunately they had no mutton, so we settled on two Chicken dishes with Rice and Nan bread.

Overall the restaurant was worth the visit, the service was good, the food was excellent with the average cost, but beer only 2000reil for a glass of draft. I will be there again hopefully mutton will be available too.
With what I took home I had time to cook a few chips and add the left over curry :D

Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I got a takeaway from Taste Budz recently, I hadn't been there in ages. All good.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _Penh.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:30 am I got a takeaway from Taste Budz recently, I hadn't been there in ages. All good.

How was the meal, what did you have? I have not been to this place, not has now anyhow. I have had a takeaway from Swagat Indian Restaurant on the street above, it was okay.
Agarwal.Aditya
Expatriate
India

Post by Agarwal.Aditya »

Swagat has the very best curry in my opinion.
independencequarter
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by independencequarter »

AndyKK wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:43 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:30 am I got a takeaway from Taste Budz recently, I hadn't been there in ages. All good.

How was the meal, what did you have? I have not been to this place, not has now anyhow. I have had a takeaway from Swagat Indian Restaurant on the street above, it was okay.
I've been there once and all the food was sweet and absolutely disgusting. I have a friend that swears by it though and he said that that was the only time he had bad food from Swagat. I have been hesitant to try it again after that though. There is another place next door that is called something like India Khmer Angkor restaurant which is pretty decent though.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's south Indian food and not to everybody's taste. I don't like eating in there because they put the food on banana leaves and that's just annoying unless really necessary- like if you're in a jungle with no cutlery or anything. It actually looks like a cheap restaurant in India inside. I usually just order Thalis, they have some strange components but most parts are tasty.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:07 pm

It's south Indian food and not to everybody's taste. I don't like eating in there because they put the food on banana leaves and that's just annoying unless really necessary- like if you're in a jungle with no cutlery or anything. It actually looks like a cheap restaurant in India inside. I usually just order Thalis, they have some strange components but most parts are tasty.
Like I say I have not been to this place yet! Putting the food on banana leaves is just like you would eat in south India, but that of possible novelty here. The main thing that puts me off this place is price, I look at the price of rice and breads which accompany a meal and are a necessity, although the main course would look relatively inexpensive, add the necessities then you have yourself an expensive meal.
There had been a couple of favourite places, but over time they had changed their ingredients or style of the dish, or with one regular I had blatantly been ripped of on price one time to the tune of an unlucky $13, I said at the time "you and I know this is wrong". I gave him chance too rectify his mistake, he would only pay back half the amount, so he lost my custom.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:09 pm By the way, looking for the place on Google Maps, that atst mentioned. Who's the wise fuoking joker then. :please:

Ha Ha, that was posted just after the event, someone else asked that question :D
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:08 am Atst mentioned this place in the post above, last night myself and my partner decided to go and check out the place. The Indian punjabi kitchen restaurant, there was a customer, an elderly western gentleman and his Khmer lady seated near the entrance of the restaurant has we arrived then a group of four Indian people sat eating.
The owner and staff of the restaurant were nice and patient not to rush us while we looked at the menu, that is the main thing that I don't like, being rushed by a waiter taking the order. I ordered two lassies to give us more time to choose, unfortunately they had no mutton, so we settled on two Chicken dishes with Rice and Nan bread.

Overall the restaurant was worth the visit, the service was good, the food was excellent with the average cost, but beer only 2000reil for a glass of draft. I will be there again hopefully mutton will be available too.
With what I took home I had time to cook a few chips and add the left over curry :D

Where's this Andy?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:27 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:08 am Atst mentioned this place in the post above, last night myself and my partner decided to go and check out the place. The Indian punjabi kitchen restaurant, there was a customer, an elderly western gentleman and his Khmer lady seated near the entrance of the restaurant has we arrived then a group of four Indian people sat eating.

Where's this Andy?
Indian punjabi kitchen restaurant Street 172

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic