Charlie's Bar is Back! (Siem Reap)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Charlie's Bar is Back! (Siem Reap)

Post by General Mackevili »

I got excited when I first read this. Then I realized I was thinking of Mickey's not Charlie's Bar. :facepalm:

Is Charlie's Bar a popular expat spot or what?

Charlie’s Bar is back but at a new location and re-opens next Friday, November 14, after a long and difficult three months following the closure of the original venue.

Owners Charlie Kumar and Zoe Trout and the team are celebrating not only the birth of the much bigger and better bar, but also Charlie’s own 37th birthday which falls on the same day.

“First off, I want to give a huge shout-out to the whole team. We couldn’t have done it without them,” Kumar said.

The new venue, just off The Lane, is bigger and brighter than the old one, with a mezzanine floor and plenty of room for sitting or standing and mingling and talking.

“I want to make it as chatty as possible. It’s a bar, it should be a place where people come to talk. Luckily, my staff are pretty chatty too,” Kumar said.

Even though the bar runs over two floors, the owners are working it so that people don’t feel separated from one another, although those who want to will be find their own nooks, particularly in the upstairs back area.

“The idea is to have two floors but kind of merge it so that it still feels like the same space,” Kumar said. “We’re going to keep it very open, so that if you’re sitting at the bar, you can still see the people upstairs, maybe even have a chat.”

One thing that will remain the same is the American feel of the original venue, and of course the customised Honda Steed will go up on the wall of the front bar. Charlie and Zoe also designed some nifty furniture out of wood and steel drums, which are surprisingly comfortable.

The duo promises that favourites from the old menu, such as quesadillas and fish finger sandwiches, will still be served. But new head chef, Mengly Monk, is also adding some bolder flavours to the menu.

New additions include a lemon cured beef salad, shrimp and pumpkin croquettes with a Thousand Island dressing, and a refreshing cold cucumber salad. Sweet or savoury waffles have also been added to the breakfast menu.

But aside from good food and drinks deals, Charlie’s is known for its ability to kick off a party like nowhere else in town. Staff are already working on the plans for Christmas and New Year’s and Australia Day, the last of which saw one of the best parties the bar has ever had in January this year.

“It was phenomenal,” said Zoe. “It literally ran all day and all night. We filled the bar up with sand, and it just kept going. We even got a shout-out on Triple J, the Australian radio station, as the place to go to in Cambodia.”

Getting the new bar ready to be up and running has been a much tougher slog than the pair imagined. Aside from the shock of the unexpected closure in late August, and the hard hunt for a new venue while keeping all their staff on the payroll, Charlie and Zoe found a few unexpected surprises when they started renovating the new location, specialties of the local building trade.

With the help of architect Stuart Cochlin and his team, the work started in earnest on October 10.

“We had to rip everything out and start again. All of the wiring, which was cemented into the walls, all of the plumbing, there’s a whole new sewage system. Everything,” Charlie said.

Charlie and Zoe are feeling optimistic about.....

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/siem-reap-insider/charlie’s-bar-and-running-again
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Re: Charlie's Bar is Back! (Siem Reap)

Post by rick_o'shea »

Charlie. You can't help but like him, even when he physically throws you out into the street in a drunken rampage!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

rick_o'shea wrote:Charlie. You can't help but like him, even when he physically throws you out into the street in a drunken rampage!
LoL, I will have to put that to the test next time I'm in Siem Reap.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Playboy
Lord Gayboy
Great Britain

Post by Playboy »

"Zoe Trout" - seriously !?!!?
ImageImage
Actively seeking Thai Ladyboys to sexually dominate me. Please inquire within.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

Playboy wrote:"Zoe Trout" - seriously !?!!?
ImageImage
For the record, she's very cool. Smart, attractive, and not at all fishy.
Playboy
Lord Gayboy
Great Britain

Post by Playboy »

Never said she was not, but 'trout' ;-)
Actively seeking Thai Ladyboys to sexually dominate me. Please inquire within.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Trout Pout?

Kylie wins again...

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Our new puppy looks like that ↑ as he's walking away.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

StroppyChops wrote:Our new puppy looks like that ↑ as he's walking away.
I'll take the puppy when you leave Cambodia (assuming you're talking about the last picture).

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I'm looking forward to the new place, I was surprised when I went round when I got back here and found it had closed. Charlie could be the only Indian Scotsman in Siem Reap. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic