Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The official coronavirus numbers remain unchanged today.

04/05/20 11:11 am
Cambodia Reports No Case of Covid-19 Today; Total Case 122; Total Recovery 120
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 03-16.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

May 4, 2020
KTVs, entertainment clubs remain closed to curb a new wave of outbreak
Health Minister Mam Bun Heng said today that the government is still carrying out measures to have temporarily closed KTVs, and entertainment clubs in order to curb the next wave of possible coronavirus outbreak.

“The rate of high risk will happen among Cambodian-Muslims who recently returned from Malaysia and a group of French tourists. We do not want to see it happen again in Cambodia,” Mr Bun Heng said at a press conference in Phnom Penh.

“I want to go to KTV but I am afraid of death,” he said.

Mr Bun Heng also called on businesses to be patient amid the closures of their businesses until the situation improved.
He said so far there is no new case of coronavirus. The Kingdom’s case stands at 122, with 120 recovered patients.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50719805/k ... -outbreak/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Does anyone have any idea when they will let US citizens back in?
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:42 pm May 4, 2020
KTVs, entertainment clubs remain closed to curb a new wave of outbreak
Health Minister Mam Bun Heng said today that the government is still carrying out measures to have temporarily closed KTVs, and entertainment clubs in order to curb the next wave of possible coronavirus outbreak.

The rate of high risk will happen among Cambodian-Muslims who recently returned from Malaysia and a group of French tourists. We do not want to see it happen again in Cambodia,” Mr Bun Heng said at a press conference in Phnom Penh.

I want to go to KTV but I am afraid of death,” he said.

Mr Bun Heng also called on businesses to be patient amid the closures of their businesses until the situation improved.
He said so far there is no new case of coronavirus. The Kingdom’s case stands at 122, with 120 recovered patients.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50719805/k ... -outbreak/

CEO News notes: This is an article copied from the Khmer Times for the information of forum members. CEO News does not necessarily agree with the content of the text or the grammar.
He wants to go to KTV ? lol.

Shouldn't someone let him know that tourists aren't allowed in, and the Muslim festival in Malaysia was about 2 months ago now ?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Saw some cool headed experts on tv last night. They reckon -
i/ There is good reason, but not sure, to believe Cv will act like the common flu's and survive better in cool moist conditions.
ii/ people gathering together inside in winter helps the infection spread. (in temperate climates, probably same for rainy season here)
iii/ There is good evidence that vitamin D (sunshine) has a protective effect for most respiratory infections, including regular flu - and Cv.

So there might be a "second wave" in Cambodia a bit later on in the wet season - Cambodia's regular flu season.

I know the rainy season is "summer' here, but it is probably cooler than March and certainly April. Often quite chilly for longish periods. Definitely less sunshine. People gather together inside.
Let's hope it is not a long, cool, cloudy, rainy season.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I would not have thought Muslims would have gone to KTV's in large numbers, I have no idea if they have facilities, such has a prayer room, not ever been in an establishment of such (but I have been invited) and I have known westerners go. “I want to go to KTV but I am afraid of death,” he said. He should pop into the one that is open at Chbar Ampov then take a good massage after with a few choice of them that are open. But it would be wise to see there are no French tourists in the places.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

AndyKK wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:46 am I would not have thought Muslims would have gone to KTV's in large numbers, I have no idea if they have facilities, such has a prayer room, not ever been in an establishment of such (but I have been invited) and I have known westerners go. “I want to go to KTV but I am afraid of death,” he said. He should pop into the one that is open at Chbar Ampov then take a good massage after with a few choice of them that are open. But it would be wise to see there are no French tourists in the places.
maybe he meant he's afraid he's not deaf. boom boom.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 am Saw some cool headed experts on tv last night. They reckon -
i/ There is good reason, but not sure, to believe Cv will act like the common flu's and survive better in cool moist conditions.
ii/ people gathering together inside in winter helps the infection spread. (in temperate climates, probably same for rainy season here)
iii/ There is good evidence that vitamin D (sunshine) has a protective effect for most respiratory infections, including regular flu - and Cv.

So there might be a "second wave" in Cambodia a bit later on in the wet season - Cambodia's regular flu season.

I know the rainy season is "summer' here, but it is probably cooler than March and certainly April. Often quite chilly for longish periods. Definitely less sunshine. People gather together inside.
Let's hope it is not a long, cool, cloudy, rainy season.
That all makes a lot of sense when you look at the stats for different regions (I posted some of them on a different thread, and it's striking that something similar to the description above seems very likely to be accurate).
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

An interesting article on Covid-19 in Cambodia

Covid-19 in Cambodia: A comprehensive report

Why are there no recorded Covid-19 deaths in Cambodia and what that says about the government’s actions?

It seems to be the general public perception that the Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is quite extraordinary, that Cambodia has done amazing in managing the outbreak. It’s actually counter-intuitive to think that a country with such poor health care would have a huge Covid-19 outbreak. I personally never expected a serious outbreak in Cambodia and the study that follows will outline why what we’re seeing is a completely normal and expected outcome regardless of any intervention.

Background

As of 30/04/2020 there were 122 positive cases with 119 recovered and I only remember 1 case being reported as critical. No new cases have been reported for over two weeks; this coincides with tighter border controls being taken, with fewer people entering the country. Over 80% of reported cases are imported, with very few recorded local transmissions.ʳ¹

You can read the full article here
Covid-19 in Cambodia: A comprehensive report
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Equinix wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:00 am Covid-19 in Cambodia: A comprehensive report
Some very interesting points here - especially about social and environmental conditions not being suitable.

But the authors logic is seriously deficient and he slips into conspiracy theories.
- maybe because he has a particular agenda he is promoting. (which is ok, but takes the objectivity right out of the report)

Thanks for posting it anyway Equinix, some good discussion/argument points in there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic