The Visa Situation...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: The Visa Situation...

Post by OrangeDragon »

You probably need to go to the actual ministry... which is time consuming and difficult, especially if you don't speak khmer. And even then you may end up with miles of red tape that really drag out the process if you're not paying facilitation money. But... it would be a good adventure, and something to make a nice article with!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

General Mackevili wrote:
Chakraphop wrote:Just renewed my visa for 6 months today. Advised by my travel agent that as of today there is a new director at Visa issuing office and prices have gone up by around $5 (just my luck), its now also taking 7 working days as opposed to the couple of days that it used to be. Not sure if that is a temporary thing while they changeover or if its going to be that way permanently, but worth bearing in mind.

Anyway paid $158 for 6 month extension at Cina Travel on street 130
Damn. This is starting to sound official.

This is definitely news!!

In the 5+ years I've been here (brag brag brag) it's never taken longer than a 1 day, or 2 at the very max, and that was likely do to the agent just not submitting it ASAP.

Can you do us a favor and see which official stamped off on it? Would be nice to actually verify the change of director's, as I don't recall reading anything in the papers about it.
My 1 year visa expires June 9th this year, so I will be renewing it for 1 year with the SAME company I used last year within the next week. Last year it only took 2 working days to get it back into my hands. $285. I will go do it next week as it is close to the end of the working week now and I don't want my Passport sitting over the weekend.

I will for sure update this thread with comparisons. I have only done this 1 time before as I have only been in country for almost 12 months now.

Cheers,

Sir_Q
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:^ I should comment that this is the process for getting a business visa and extension at the airport. Many people just get the $25 visa at the airport, and then later pay a travel agent to handle the extension for a fee.
Yes, exactly. No need to pay a bribe for a visa extension. Go to a travel agent. I pay $512 total for my wife and I, then $25/yr for my son. He's under 3.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Do NOT forget to renew your visa. You will be extremely pissed at yourself when you have to pay $5/day for overage. Trust me, I know. I forgot to renew my son's visa. I thought his was due the same time as mine. 6 months late. Do the math.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Jacobincambodia wrote:I thought his was due the same time as mine. 6 months late. Do the math.
Ouch! ! (And I can't even do the math.)
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

6 months late OUCHHHHH i thought it was $5/day 1st month than goes to $6/day
thats like over $1,000!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

phuketrichard wrote:6 months late OUCHHHHH i thought it was $5/day 1st month than goes to $6/day
thats like over $1,000!!
They must have given me a special deal then. I paid $625 for a $25 visa.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

My current 1yr extension expires in August. Is it likely that they'd extend it for one more year in June already, if I asked? Or is that too early?
Sohi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sohi »

I have found if you renew in advance you lose the days so you could renew in June but the new visa would only run till June next year
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Same. I've heard that lodging your passport for renewal on the date of visa expiry is the best approach financially.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic