Train to Sihanoukville Hits a Truck Parked on the Tracks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Train to Sihanoukville Hits a Truck Parked on the Tracks

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Sihanoukville: On the afternoon of May 2, 2020, there was a traffic accident on the train tracks in Ou Trach village, Samrong commune, Prey Nup district, Preah Sihanouk province. Authorities confirmed that a train heading for Sihanoukville from Phnom Penh hit a vehicle, which was parked on the tracks, a white HYUNDAI truck with plates Phnom Penh 3E-3529. The driver of the vehicle fled the accident scene.
In addition to the wreckage of the locomotive and the vehicle, there were no casualties, and police have been dispatched from the Sihanoukville district police headquarters for further investigation.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Train to Sihanoukville Hits a Truck Parked on the Tracks

Post by frizzie77 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:14 pm hit a vehicle, which was PARKED on the tracks
Parked? Really?

I find this very hard to believe, but I suppose in the Kingdom of Wonder with totally competent truck drivers nothing surprises me anymore.

(Maybe it should have been 'stuck'? But..., still...)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

frizzie77 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:14 pm hit a vehicle, which was PARKED on the tracks
Parked? Really?

I find this very hard to believe, but I suppose in the Kingdom of Wonder with totally competent truck drivers nothing surprises me anymore.

(Maybe it should have been 'stuck'? But..., still...)
Good point. Could be parked because stuck ?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The driver of the vehicle fled the accident scene.
Abandoned fits nicely.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Doesn't matter how stupid it seems, if it happened in Cambodia, its probably true.

When the railway line to Snooky re-opened a couple of years or so ago, there were many people killed & vehicles hit by the train.

I remember one case, when a drunk man decided to have a sleep on the railway tracks :), yes, he was killed by the train when it arrived
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:07 pm Doesn't matter how stupid it seems, if it happened in Cambodia, its probably true.

When the railway line to Snooky re-opened a couple of years or so ago, there were many people killed & vehicles hit by the train.

I remember one case, when a drunk man decided to have a sleep on the railway tracks :), yes, he was killed by the train when it arrived
Yes, there were (and will be, I'm afraid) quite a number of incidents on the Cambodian railway tracks with sleeping drunk men overrun by trains.
There must be something really alluring of railway tracks to put your head down on them while drunk.
Unfortunately, we cannot ask the guys anymore what exactly it is...
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Old school wild west train attack !
Don't forget the water buffalo
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Kayve wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:51 pm Old school wild west train attack !
The 70's to the 90s, and I don't mean 1870s
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

frizzie77 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:32 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:07 pm Doesn't matter how stupid it seems, if it happened in Cambodia, its probably true.

Yes, there were (and will be, I'm afraid) quite a number of incidents on the Cambodian railway tracks with sleeping drunk men overrun by trains.
There must be something really alluring of railway tracks to put your head down on them while drunk.
Unfortunately, we cannot ask the guys anymore what exactly it is...
I'd guess many of those were suicides.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

This is where i go back to my pet little theory.
That the "stupidity" we so often note in Cambodia is not that, in essence.

Buddhism is supposed to teach cause and effect. Karma.
But that principle has been twisted here over the millennia into fatalism. This has actually removed logical, cause and effect, thinking from the Khmer mindset.
It is not only that they believe if a truck hits them when they pull out onto a street without looking, that their destiny is already set. It has actually removed logical, cause and effect, thinking from the Khmer mindset.

You have to practice logic for centuries for it to truly take hold amongst a population - it is not innate.
Thank God (oops) for The Enlightenment, or we would be as "stupid" about many things as we were just 3/400 years go.
Or less.
The Buddha's teaching, from my understanding, is very scientific, logical and rational - but that has been lost in most countries where it has been practiced for so long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic