American Teacher Arrested After Attack on Tuktuk in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jim Gil
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: American Teacher Arrested After Attack on Tuktuk in Siem Reap

Post by Jim Gil »

So the guy in the pic outside the cop shop, is that the teacher or the tuk tuk driver?
If it's the teacher then he needs to go home as he is starting to look like a local.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 pm “The intentional violence was triggered by the victim's motorbike (tuktuk) parked in front of the foreigners' house, and this foreigner has repeatedly insulted him".
I'm wondering if the tuk tuk was just parked there or was it maybe blocking the entrance? No need for violence, but if that was the case and it happened repeatedly, I would get quite angry as well.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

frizzie77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:32 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 pm “The intentional violence was triggered by the victim's motorbike (tuktuk) parked in front of the foreigners' house, and this foreigner has repeatedly insulted him".
I'm wondering if the tuk tuk was just parked there or was it maybe blocking the entrance? No need for violence, but if that was the case and it happened repeatedly, I would get quite angry as well.
Agreed, if the tuk tuk was continually blocking his exit. But, again, there are ways of handling this. Thank god this guy isn’t tefling soldiers.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:17 pm
Clemen wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:13 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:08 pm
Clemen wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm Hey Roz, how would you spin that to make it better?
He did what we all want to do
Fair enough, but some people would then think, "should I give this guy $20, or wait to get arrested?"
Knock him out, tell him he had a case of wind and landed on his face
But Bonez, he didn't beat up the driver, he beat up the Tuktuk. At 9o'clock in the morning, like I said, not gonna look good on the resume
up to you...
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

LOL. Yeah no need to resort to brutish violence. He could have got even in more imaginative ways.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I must have missed where it said the dude does Teffling. So its better hes Teffling kiddies than soldiers? Who gives a shit? I just say he could have been more creative in his revenge against the tuktuk dude.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Clemen wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:17 pm
Clemen wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:13 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:08 pm
Clemen wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm Hey Roz, how would you spin that to make it better?
He did what we all want to do
Fair enough, but some people would then think, "should I give this guy $20, or wait to get arrested?"
Knock him out, tell him he had a case of wind and landed on his face
But Bonez, he didn't beat up the driver, he beat up the Tuktuk. At 9o'clock in the morning, like I said, not gonna look good on the resume
UPDATE: The first news was not immediately clear whether it was only the tuktuk that was attacked, or if the driver was assaulted as well. More information coming in now says that the driver was injured in the head, which is decidely a more serious offense.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

That is some excellent racist shit saying the Latino man should get his brown ass back to the USA because he looks too native...
I guess you never lived in California? Been around Mexican Americans?
It seems to me, this guy is out of work since Siem Reap was first to close its schools and he was having a shit morning and snapped...He should of been at work...
I paid my rent on the 1st and my Khmer landlord was worried I was going to ask for a rent discount LIKE the tenants upstairs who are out of work.
I told her No, I signed a 1 year lease and will pay the agreed upon amount.
I can see more altercations arising ....no doubt..
I have not had big issues with tuk tuk guys...a few idiots ...several that would not listen..
I know the old game in PP of fucking the barang is common...Passap sure has made a big change.
I typically double the passap price if the guy takes the correct route and is not an idiot...
Like in Thailand..you better determine the cost of the trip prior to getting in..
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Clemen wrote:Gonna look good on the CV "arrested for intentional violence against a tuktuk"
Hey Roz, how would you spin that to make it better?
CVs don’t include anything that is not work related, but it would make a fun scrapbook layout lol.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

BR549 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:07 pm That is some excellent racist shit saying the Latino man should get his brown ass back to the USA because he looks too native...
I guess you never lived in California? Been around Mexican Americans?
It seems to me, this guy is out of work since Siem Reap was first to close its schools and he was having a shit morning and snapped...He should of been at work...
I paid my rent on the 1st and my Khmer landlord was worried I was going to ask for a rent discount LIKE the tenants upstairs who are out of work.
I told her No, I signed a 1 year lease and will pay the agreed upon amount.
I can see more altercations arising ....no doubt..
I have not had big issues with tuk tuk guys...a few idiots ...several that would not listen..
I know the old game in PP of fucking the barang is common...Passap sure has made a big change.
I typically double the passap price if the guy takes the correct route and is not an idiot...
Like in Thailand..you better determine the cost of the trip prior to getting in..
Right on dude. The American dude is an American...some folks outsiude the USA just dont understand how it works.

He is still an asshole, mind you.

Ive been roaming around SE Asia for 25 years and have had one problem with a Bangkok cab. One. Ive never had a problem with TukTuk guys that werent the result of them being stupid. So they dont get tipped. My lack of problem with cab drivers, tuk tuk dudes and the infamous Motocyguys of Bangkok are simply the result of being friendly, respectful, happy, knowing where I am going and not hestiating to speak up.

These days Im basicly tipping $1 on every trip. Many times I have the same guy. I have told them all the extra is to make up for China fucking them out of money so dont ask me when the tourists come back. They are all ahppy with that. I have one kid who sits on Sok San Road and I have ridden with him 3 times. I saw him on Saturday night and he asked if I needed a ride, I told him no, I was just walking 300 meters. A minute later he pulls up and said he got a call and I should jump in and he would ride me 200 meters for free. I declined, but hes on my list of favoured drivers now.

My poor friend Jah-juan needs to go home though. Forcibly if necessary.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic