MoneyTransfer

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: MoneyTransfer

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:40 am It makes me wonder why it takes banks many days to send the money , when WU can do the same within hours. It's about time a few banks upped their game or went to the wall for charging such high fees for hitting a key on a keyboard .
its only with the USD, because our currency has to get sent to an intermittent bank or something, when i send money to my Thai bank, depending on the size of the transfer can take only seconds or minutes, larger sums might take a few hours or a day
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Fees

Post by Ryan754326 »

Duncan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:33 am Only advice I can give is dont use OFX . After I transferred my money into their account, they cancelled the deal, wont say why, and now they wont refund my money back. I have since used Western Union twice which worked out at nearly the same price and much, much faster.
I’ve used OFX a bunch of times and never had any trouble. Their rates were better than others, and the amount they quoted me was what landed in my Cambodian bank account. No intermediary fees along the way.
You say that they refuse to complete the deal and won’t refund your money? So what, they are effectively stealing it?

While we’re on the topic, does anyone know if it’s possible to wire my USD out of Cambodia? I have about $2000 sitting in Canadia bank, and I don’t expect to be able to get back into Cambodia to get it before I have to go home.
I’d rather not have to leave it sitting there, but I have accepted the fact that it’s as good as gone if the economy really goes for a shit.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I am trying out Transferwise as my local bank was charging absurd exchange rates from USD to Eur, costing over $500 in exchange rate losses.

I haven't gone through the entire process, however, I find it odd I am taken to the "Pay" screen without having entered the recipients' bank account number. The bank is linked through IBAN & SWIFT, but no bank account number? I am guessing it will ask me for it if I proceed but I am going to call them in an hour instead of clicking that "pay" button without knowing.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Edit - IBAN includes the account info. Somehow never knew that or had forgotten
anthach
Tourist
Vietnam

Re: Fees

Post by anthach »

I’ve used OFX a bunch of times and never had any trouble. Their rates were better than others, and the amount they quoted me was what landed in my Cambodian bank account. No intermediary fees along the way.
You say that they refuse to complete the deal and won’t refund your money? So what, they are effectively stealing it?

While we’re on the topic, does anyone know if it’s possible to wire my USD out of Cambodia? I have about $2000 sitting in Canadia bank, and I don’t expect to be able to get back into Cambodia to get it before I have to go home.
I’d rather not have to leave it sitting there, but I have accepted the fact that it’s as good as gone if the economy really goes for a shit.
[/quote]

If you have registered Canadian internet banking then you can send to any bank online.
Otherwise I think you need get your friend help to withdraw then send to you through grey market..
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I will say I have found a way to use Paypal with ABA. I will not announce it because I don't want the loop hole closed. but it is possible, saves A Ton of money.
Still here, in country...
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:34 am I will say I have found a way to use Paypal with ABA. I will not announce it because I don't want the loop hole closed. but it is possible, saves A Ton of money.
Given that PayPal works with visa/MC and that ABA offers online, virtual such cards, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Hello Slingsong, theories are great experience es muy bien. thank you though for telling us how things theoretically shoud work
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic