Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Post by frizzie77 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 pm Image
I really have to restrain myself from making comments that would get me an immediate ban.

So, just this: why in the world would we support a widow of a slain Westerner, and not, say, any other Cambodian widow with a slain husband in this country?
Because he's a Westerner?
Because she's a .... (restraining myself here)?

And the part "he always avoided arguments" is in this case at least questionable, I'd say.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog Fight with Khmer-American

Post by BR549 »

He should of had his dog on a leash and under control....
The dead man should of gotten his ass and his dog tbe fuck down the road..
THUG LIFE and his need for street cred...it ain't nothin but a thing man..
I feel for both of these guys..
The berieved widow looks hot enough to find a new husband.
You don't even need to hit someone for them to hit their head on the fucking concrete and die...
One reason there is the new helmet fine for moto riders...
Crazy assed hate spews out ....mob justice...prison rape wishes...immediate execution...
Funny as fuck...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

frizzie77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:37 pm
I really have to restrain myself from making comments that would get me an immediate ban.

So, just this: why in the world would we support a widow of a slain Westerner, and not, say, any other Cambodian widow with a slain husband in this country?
Are you trying to say "prostitute", Frazzle?
I hope not, because to imply that would earn you more than an argument from the many expats who's wives did not come out of a brothel or a girlie bar.
And i would be first in line.

If not, what are you trying to imply?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:11 pm ^^^^^
I don’t believe that anyone can throw a punch with the certainty that the recipient of that punch will fall in a certain way/ direction that will guarantee causing death
You might've heard of the 'One punch can kill' campaigns and you don't even have to fall in a certain way..

A guy with such a body is well aware that a punch of his will cause more damage to an old man than just nosebleeding and a little headache . The stone on which the Swiss apprarently fell on is greatly overrated IMHO.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 pm Image

And the part "he always avoided arguments" is in this case at least questionable, I'd say.

To be fair, it might be worth pointing out that the thread is titled, "Swiss Expat Markus Zahner Dies Following Dispute Over Dog...". I'd respectfully suggest that probably makes it more relevant to voice support for Markus Zahner's widow on this particular thread than for someone else's widow ? I for one at least don't take that as showing disrespect to other Cambodian widows.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:36 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:08 am
orussey98 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:52 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:34 am wow
amazing how 2 forums and a news site (the one we are not allowed to name) report the same incident so different,

From the other side and the news site;
The Swiss guy's dog got into it with a Cambodian guy's dog. The Swiss guy hit the Cambodian guy's dog with a baton/stick and the Cambodian guy punched him in the jaw once and he hit his head on the ground and died a few days later.

The Cambodian guy opened a philly steak house in Russian market area in PP

MY take,
If someone hit my dog, i'd do the exact same thing
its to bad he hit his head and died, but now the Cambodian guy who was trying to turn is life around has to pay...
(involuntary manslaughter, accidental death?)

The truth is out there
Two dogs fight, you choose to hit the man. Interesting.
------------------------------------
The deportees have only supporters within the western liberal people here.

Thuch Sek commited a crime here as he did in the USA.

He didn't succeed going out of his loop.

He is a threat for people and society and will go back in prison where apparently he belongs.
you left out the part that the Swiss guy HIT the Cambodian guys dog first>
like i said, you hit my dog with a stick or whatever, i'm coming at you. :beer3:
Not trying to take sides here, more a case of playing devils advocate, some things to consider?
The dogs were not fighting, the Swiss couple said the dog was being friendly, the Swiss guy, worried the dogs “might” start fighting decides to set about the Khmer guys dog with a stick.
Dog lovers can be very protective of their animals, as seems to be the case with both parties here, the Khmer guy has felt strongly enough about his dog being beaten (provocation?) that he has confronted the Swiss guy and that subsequently lashed out (not a sustained assault) at the Swiss guy.
It would appear that the victim “striking his head on a rock” after falling over (admittedly after being struck by the Khmer guy) caused the fatal injury, I’m no expert, but I don’t believe that anyone can throw a punch with the certainty that the recipient of that punch will fall in a certain way/ direction that will guarantee causing death (Your thoughts on this point Jamie Lambo?)
How many members have ever thrown a punch in self defense or anger? (I suspect quite a few will have at one time or another) Those who have can consider themselves fortunate that nobody died as a result, because the reality is that that one punch could end in the same result as in this case.
It cannot be classed as murder (manslaughter maybe) as there would appear to be no evidence the Khmer guy intended to kill the victim.
As for automatically assuming the guys guilt based on how he looks, tattoos, assuming he’s on roids (he looks more to have the build of someone who’s enjoyed an American lifestyle/diet than a steroid fueled body builder) judging a book by its cover is not a strong prosecution strategy.
The age difference would appear to be a major factor as far as public opinion of this tragedy goes, I suspect that if not for that age difference, plenty of folk may be thinking “Karma, serves him right for beating a dog for no reason” (how many people have thought/said “ what they would do to the perpetrators of animal cruelty if they could get their hands on them”? plenty I suspect)

And discuss:
Tbh, for what it's worth I'd agree. There is a danger here of being prejudiced against the guy because of his tattoos. He wouldn't strike me instantly as being my cup of tea, but I get that it doesn't mean he's a bad guy. We don't even know that he's punched the bloke tbh, he could have just given him a slap or even pretended to and it's made the bloke fall over. Obviously it's a desperately sad situation, but I think sometimes people can be too quick to judge. From the video clip of the guy above after the incident, he doesn't strike me as having just lost it at someone or someone whose out of control. As someone else said, there's potentially valid sympathy for both parties here.
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

This is not correct. I know Markus many years. I saw him in hospital, big bruise on jaw and eye. He was punched two times.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More video footage was sent to CEO News showing Markus Zahner on the sidewalk after the incident:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:30 am

Are you trying to say "prostitute", Frazzle?
I hope not, because to imply that would earn you more than an argument from the many expats who's wives did not come out of a brothel or a girlie bar.
And i would be first in line.

If not, what are you trying to imply?
Yeah, valid point. @frizzie77 what did you mean by that remark?
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

She really loves him is not for money. Also I am 65 and my wife 21.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic