Disadvantages Renting House Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
susanne.böse
Tourist
Papua New Guinea

Disadvantages Renting House Phnom Penh

Post by susanne.böse »

Hi All,

I am moving to Phnom Penh soon. Actually I would like to rent a house but plenty of people told me it is way better to have a serviced apartment as a house calls for trouble. Saying that no one could give me examples what are the disadvantes of a house. What is your experience, any thing I need to consider in renting a house?

Thanks!
Agarwal.Aditya
Expatriate
India

Re: Disadvantages Renting House Phnom Penh

Post by Agarwal.Aditya »

House can be broken into easier. Service apartment on high floor with one entrance is safer from theives.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

If you mean a house as in a free standing house with a yard, then they are referred to here as a villa.

Villas can be expensive, and rarely have a garden. Often they are advertised as 'having parking for 6 cars'.
Many people who rent a villa will have a guard box at the gate with a full time security guard. Your employer can help with hiring security guards.

If you want a house with a garden, it is possible outside the city (places like Chroy Changvar for example), but as mentioned above may not necessarily be safe/secure.
susanne.böse
Tourist
Papua New Guinea

Post by susanne.böse »

Thanks, so there are a lot of burglary in PP? Any ideas about costs of security guards?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

It seems to be the done thing for a long time to have security, and most dwellings other then modern apartments normally have bars on the windows. I think it reflects the fact that those with savings either in cash, gold or jewellery tended to keep their fortunes stashed at home rather than in banks and nobody has insurance.
Unless you have a big budget, you will need to look in the outskirts of PP for an affordable detached property whereas you can be right in the centre in a pretty nice apartment for probably half the cost.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

House or villa implies ground floor. Will be full of vermin: insects, rodents, humans.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

A disadvantage would be cleaning a big house. Cambodia is a pretty dusty place. Also, if bad guys realized a woman was living alone in a house, well you know the outcome.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Lucky or unlucky when it comes to noise and bad neighbours (noisy, dirty, intrusive.... All three for me in a house)...
But this is how life is almost everywhere here. Just expect it..... I think an apartment might be a better option for most.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

susanne.böse wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:58 am Thanks, so there are a lot of burglary in PP? Any ideas about costs of security guards?
I briefly rented a villa with 2 mates quite a few years ago in BKK1. We paid about USD 3,500 and the security guards (2 shifts) were included.
Although it had some flair to be living in a house (pool, private parties, holiday feel), it became a bit odd later on. Each of us worked a lot and often I’d find myself alone in a 5 bedroom house.

There are some nice villas to be had for 2,000-5,000 USD and if you have a family that wants the space thats maybe for you. But you can find some top condos in good locations for half that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic