Phnom Penh Construction Workers Strike Over Unpaid Wages

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Phnom Penh Construction Workers Strike Over Unpaid Wages

Post by King Keil »

Only thing I am concerned is, have the workers been paid yesterday?
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:08 am
I thought it's a JV between Oxley (Singaporean) and Worldbridge (Cambodian) and the Sino Great Wall is just the contractor? Or well was. Where do you get this info? But it's true that Sino is in financial problems and this obviously has lead that the construction workers have not paid.
You are right for the Peak, however 'just' the contractor is a bit of an understatement, the BRI funds are a JV between Worldbridge Land and Sino signed a couple of years ago between Sear Rithy and Liang Rong Vice Chairman of Sino.

All in the same barrel - fortunes intertwined

Where do I get my info?

Well I visit Sino often at their offices in the PGCT, and of course I read and research, so I am well prepared when I try and peddle my goods and services to them bro.

I wanted a piece of the Peak since it was first ever a concept drawing.

Never got anything so far, but in my game "no" means only no today, so I will keep going until my sheer persistence wins.

In this case, I may have been lucky not to have been granted a slice of the pie to date!

I enjoy the tea ceremony and the jokes and of course the boss knows I like his lady procurement officer as is the subject of much hilarity.

Good enough for ya bro?
This "rogerrabbit" person likes to argue, ,last time we exchanged opinion on local demand for Condos, and he is trying very hard to prove Condo is better than landed property, which I found really interesting.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Adam Xie wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:35 pm
This "rogerrabbit" person likes to argue, ,last time we exchanged opinion on local demand for Condos, and he is trying very hard to prove Condo is better than landed property, which I found really interesting.
Debate would be a kinder phrase... :beer3:
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

Mishmash wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:37 am
Adam Xie wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:35 pm
Debate would be a kinder phrase... :beer3:
Correct, Debate.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Empty condos are the last things built before the bubble bursts in any city. Buckle up Dorothy ...

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE

Oxley unit starts legal proceedings against ex-contractor of Cambodia project
Fri, Apr 24, 2020 - 9:00 AM
OXLEY Holdings' subsidiary, Oxley Gem (Cambodia), on April 1 commenced formal legal proceedings in Singapore against its former contractor Sino Great Wall Engineering (SGW).

This is to seek compensation from SGW for all damages suffered due to repeated breaches of its contractual obligations, real estate developer Oxley Holdings said in a filing late Thursday night.

SGW was the main contractor for The Peak, a 55-storey mixed hotel development project in Cambodia.

In February this year, Oxley Gem had said it was planning to seek compensation for damages suffered, laying the blame for project delays on SGW. Oxley Gem called on the two performance bonds provided by SGW for the project, and terminated their contract in October 2019.

In mid-March 2020, SGW had applied to the Cambodian courts to get Oxley Gem to suspend work on The Peak, Oxley Holdings disclosed on Thursday.

However, that hearing was rescheduled to a future date to be determined by the Cambodian courts, after SGW failed to attend the hearing for its own application.

"Oxley Gem has been advised by its lawyers that SGW has no basis for its application and is seeking to dismiss SGW's application," Oxley Holdings said.

SGW has been evicted from the project site with effect from Feb 25, after Oxley Gem obtained an injunction order from the Cambodian courts, as it said SGW refused to vacate the site and was wrongfully occupying it. This resulted in further delays as the new contractor could not begin work.

SGW sought to object to the eviction order, but the Cambodian courts rejected this objection, Oxley Holdings said on Thursday. The eviction order thus remains effective.

The mainboard-listed developer added that its new contractor China Railway Urban Construction Group has since started work on The Peak and construction has "smoothly resumed".

Currently, none of the above legal proceedings has any impact on the progress of the project, Oxley Holdings noted. Construction is set to complete progressively from mid-2020 to 2021.
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/compan ... ia-project
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Peak: CRUCG Spares No Efforts in Speeding Up Construction Progress
02/05/20 22:56
Phnom Penh (FN), May. 1 – Despite facing a labour crunch and supply delay in the market, China Railway Urban Construction Group Co., Ltd (“CRUCG”) has rose to the challenge by getting in place the necessary resources to speed up the construction progress for The Peak Project (“Project”).

“We sincerely thank Oxley Gem (Cambodia) Co., Ltd (“Oxley Gem”) for entrusting CRUCG with the opportunity to take over this iconic project. Their relentless support and guidance have been highly instrumental in letting us achieve this remarkable progress in barely two months since we started work in March 2020,” said Mr Jia Ruo Hua, general manager of branch of CRUCG in Cambodia.

Oxley Gem highly commends CRUCG on their resolute commitment and effort to focus on their work on the Project and is very pleased to learn that CRUCG has implemented thorough safety measures to provide a safer workplace in light of the Covid-19 situation.

“It is easy to make promises during good times but difficult to deliver results, especially in this current challenging climate. With a strong and experienced developer like our partner, Oxley Holdings Limited, we were able to rapidly turn the situation around to work towards the successful completion of this project,” Chairman of Worldbridgeland (Cambodia) Co., Ltd Oknha Rithy Sear said.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 38-02.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic