Foreigners to need a licence to ride a moto soon?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Foreigners to need a licence to ride a moto soon?

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Good question, Soriya.

I guess it says somewhere that a licence is not required to ride a moto under 125cc but if a police is demanding baksheesh and insisting that this rule (even if we have written proof with us) does not extend to foreigners, who are we to argue?

Spoke again last night to the people who first told me about this and they are adamant that change is coming. It could be time to go the passapp route.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Soriya wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:31 pm Is there any.written proof that foreigners dont need a licence if driving a less than 125cc bike
Apparently none
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AFAIK, Cambodian citizens are not required to have a driver's license to drive a 125cc moto or less, but this does not apply to foreigners, whether residents or tourists.
But it depends on where you live. As I said before, until now, this has been pursued strictly by police in some specific areas in Cambodia, while other areas are more laxist. We will see how this pans out.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

I saw this same question on a FB group and someone replied with a google translate off the mwpt site
People who use motorcycles with horsepower of 125cc or below do not need a license. ! !
But those who use motorcycles with a horsepower of more than 125cc are required to have a valid driver's license.
Residents can change and extend at Aeon I & Aeon 2 motor driving license centers daily from Monday to Sunday from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm
Citizens must have documents such as:
* 1. National ID card
* 2. Certificate of Fitness (Can be done in-person)
* 3. 4x6 photo 3 white background (taken in the direct location
* 4 Driver's license claim specifies the administrative post (in case of loss of driving license).
If you wish to obtain a Bachelor's Degree, the following documents are required (* 1 * 2 * 3) and Certificate of Education from the Bachelor's Degree for Class C and D Certificate.
Details: https://www.mpwt.gov.kh/kh/public-servi ... -s-license
However the English version https://www.mpwt.gov.kh/en/public-servi ... -s-license

Note the English page does not mention "People who use motorcycles with horsepower of 125cc or below do not need a license. ! !
But those who use motorcycles with a horsepower of more than 125cc are required to have a valid driver's license."

But the English page states "By law, every driver who drives in the Kingdom of Cambodia needs a valid drivers license." Category A just states motorbikes. I know it is confusing (like the new Foreigner App) but the 125cc disclaimer is not on the English version
paul.smith
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by paul.smith »

A whooping total of 900 motorcycles and 80 cars were caught this morning, May 1, in just three hours on the capital’s roads.

This is according to the preliminary report by the Commissariat of Phnom Penh Municipal Police published this morning.

Numerous strict measures came into effect after the new traffic law enforcement set to be strengthened has been implemented.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

1 thing i found out for certain today, my A+ insurance policy will not pay out if i have a motor accident and dont have a khmer driving license
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic