A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by fazur »

Alex wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:27 am I think it's a very clever move to show this guy compassion.
HE is very astute politician

small country big heart should be used as tourism slogan
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:53 am Does Cambodia allow dual citizenship to a Barang?
Yes.

I still find it extremely difficult to believe that he has been granted Citizenship, and if true it actually really pisses me off considering how difficult it is for foreigners who are actually legally eligible for Citizenship via being legally married to Cambodians to get Citizenship.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:15 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:53 am Does Cambodia allow dual citizenship to a Barang?
Yes.

I still find it extremely difficult to believe that he has been granted Citizenship, and if true it actually really pisses me off considering how difficult it is for foreigners who are actually legally eligible for Citizenship via being legally married to Cambodians to get Citizenship.
This really needs a separate thread so it can be noticed and sent on to HE and those in charge. Money paid to buy citizenship is not the best way to get new good citizens . . Cambodia needs foreigners that are dedicated to the county's needs, by helping people and have spent time here , and maybe 10 years to prove it, or 5 years married to a Cambodian and raising Cambodian kids.

Money cannot buy true love.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Wow...so now that this guy has managed to get the properties "returned" to him, he is selling them. Probably a smart move, and likely he was advised to do so.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Selling now? Awesome. Buy land next to river (semi legal). Build house. Get land stolen. Get land back. Get citizenship. Sell land. Profit.

Niiiiiiceeeee!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:31 pm Wow...so now that this guy has managed to get the properties "returned" to him, he is selling them. Probably a smart move, and likely he was advised to do so.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

And did the larger than life estate agent get discredited, have to sign an " I must not rip off many Barangs again" contract? I bet if no one with power had intervened he'd still be giving the finger to Tom,
Should be put about who and what company he's running for others to avoid!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Fourkinnel wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:54 pm And did the larger than life estate agent get discredited, have to sign an " I must not rip off many Barangs again" contract? I bet if no one with power had intervened he'd still be giving the finger to Tom,
Should be put about who and what company he's running for others to avoid!
As far as I can make out, the real estate agent is the (large) guy on the left of this photo.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Wow...so now that this guy has managed to get the properties "returned" to him, he is selling them. Probably a smart move, and likely he was advised to do so.
The intened sale of his land implies to me he did not get or need Cambodian citizenship. No reason to have it now, and he easily qualifies for an ER anyway.
My cynical guess is a fair chunk of the sale procedes will payoff his many helpers.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

I think the initial problem was he was running out of money and wanted to sell part of his portfolio. I suspect this is when Chara got involved and they discovered he couldn't sell anything. Now if he can sell some then he can carry on with life.

Good result for him but he shouldn't trust his new pet shark
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic