New form to keep track of foreigners in Kingdom- Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New form to keep track of foreigners in Kingdom

Post by kgbagent »

I dont get this either - is seems it is primarily geared to landlords and accommodation owners

So say I take a trip to SR with a night stopover in PP - do I have to checkout my house, at the hotel in PP I then check in - next day checkout and checkin again in SR? Then checkout SR and checkin when I get home? Or is it the hotels job to check me in and out? And am i required to do the checkin/checkout to my own house?

SO vague instructions
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

kgbagent wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 am I dont get this either - is seems it is primarily geared to landlords and accommodation owners

So say I take a trip to SR with a night stopover in PP - do I have to checkout my house, at the hotel in PP I then check in - next day checkout and checkin again in SR? Then checkout SR and checkin when I get home? Or is it the hotels job to check me in and out? And am i required to do the checkin/checkout to my own house?

SO vague instructions
^ Ok, this is my take on it, FWIW. From the information available so far, I'd say that you would check into said hotel in PP, they will enter your passport in the hotel app - just like before, but the data goes on to the app instead of the sheets of paper that the immigration department used to collect from hotels. Then the hotel in SR will do the same.

You (or your landlord) are responsible for registering in your principal residence, but if you stay in hotels or guesthouses than they must register you on THEIR app. IMO, nothing much has changed, and this new app is just modernising the usual process and tightening up loopholes in accomodation registration.
As I said, I don't KNOW, but this is how I see it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kgbagent wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 am I dont get this either - is seems it is primarily geared to landlords and accommodation owners

SO vague instructions
Hotel will check you in.

You are required to do the checking in / out with the landlord.

The problem with this system is it doesn’t differentiate between the place a foreigner normally stays and a place a foreigner spends one or a few nights on a trip. That makes the dataset pretty useless.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Kammekor wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:41 pm

SO vague instructions
Hotel will check you in.

You are required to do the checking in / out with the landlord.

The problem with this system is it doesn’t differentiate between the place a foreigner normally stays and a place a foreigner spends one or a few nights on a trip. That makes the dataset pretty useless.
I own my own house so it seems pointless to check in and out if I am away from home for 2 days so many ppl wont bother. Say I stayed a night or 2 at the gf's parents house I wont bother for sure.
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:15 pm

SO vague instructions
^ Ok, this is my take on it, FWIW. From the information available so far, I'd say that you would check into said hotel in PP, they will enter your passport in the hotel app - just like before, but the data goes on to the app instead of the sheets of paper that the immigration department used to collect from hotels. Then the hotel in SR will do the same.

You (or your landlord) are responsible for registering in your principal residence, but if you stay in hotels or guesthouses than they must register you on THEIR app. IMO, nothing much has changed, and this new app is just modernising the usual process and tightening up loopholes in accomodation registration.
As I said, I don't KNOW, but this is how I see it.
It worked fine in the paper world,but i think the point is that now its all on a data base,will that data base accept that youre in two places at the same time,at home in Kampot and also in a hotel in P.P.
Last edited by ned kelly on Fri May 01, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter.storm
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by peter.storm »

rexwell wrote:What if I said I had the Tefler's Special - a Nokia 105 dumbphone? Would the police have a whip-round and buy me a nice S10? In these Covidy days, times are tough. I'm only on 50% pay.
The app appears to be for accommodation owners who would most likely have smartphones.

I have downloaded it and registered with no problems.

The thing I found odd was you are required to input your village but not your house number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Facebook;- Creating Narcissists from nobodies!!!!!!

Hornithology;- The study of featherless birds!!
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

Exactly,no street or house number,how would they find you in the village.

And the app is in english,yet its meant to be used by Khmeres,the competent authorities really didnt think this thru.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My take is, that the important thing here is that as long as you are on an Immigration app somewhere that gives your location/residence, then you can apply for a visa extension. If you are not on an app anywhere in Cambodia, then you will have to explain that to Immigration.

As said before, this is only my opinion, based on what I've read and exerienced myself.
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

The short time hotels around Sorya Mall will need to hire extra staff,soley dedicated to this new system.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

ned kelly wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:52 pm Exactly,no street or house number,how would they find you in the village.

And the app is in english,yet its meant to be used by Khmeres,the competent authorities really didnt think this thru.
Why would they wanna find you FFS? It’s purely for registration, not for location tracking.
You register to state that you are in the country, nothing else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic