A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

He was granted Cambodian Citizenship? I find that extremely difficult to believe, especially as the King needs to approve it via Royal Decree.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot

Post by angkorjohn2 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 pm This is quite an exceptional outcome. Cambodian citizenship is notoriously difficult to obtain.
Well done Tom and his supporters.

From his facebook page.

Well that is good news and really quite surprising considering the number of foreign land disputes which are never resolved especially by intervention from HE. The guy who duped him must be having a serious loss of face right now. Also interesting translation, did they mean he got citizenship by the power of GraySkull? :beer3:

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

A bit over the top to grant him citizenship if you ask me, but what do I know. Maybe we should all start begging and hope for the same outcome?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Where is the evidence he was granted Citizenship? Or are people getting that from that Khminglish style post on his FB?

If it's true then that's bullshit! He has done nothing worthy of being granted Citizenship...Kingdom of What the actual fuck!
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

I see nothing in the photo or his FB posts that indicates he was given citizenship.

Where does it say that?
boom
Tourist

Post by boom »

🙏What’s made me even more excited is that Samdach Decho HE has granted me Cambodian citizenship given me the right to live in this beautiful country of Cambodia.” Exact translation from the last underlined paragraph on his post in Khmer.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote - Samdach Decho HE has granted me Cambodian citizenship. I think that was more than likely the best way, and the least messy to handle the whole situation, no one has lost anything. Well done Mr. He.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 pm A bit over the top to grant him citizenship if you ask me, but what do I know. Maybe we should all start begging and hope for the same outcome?
business idea- we buy 1 acre, find akhmer partner, then we charge $10000 for expats to buy, get cheated, get citizenship, repeat for next guy

join the q!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I think it's a very clever move to show this guy compassion.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Does Cambodia allow dual citizenship to a Barang?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic