Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Post by phuketrichard »

good friend of mine now lives/works in Bombay, been locked down for over 4 weeks, ( started march 22nd) and no end in sight

there saying the current nationwide lockdown is extended till May 3rd.

from wikipedia
The lockdown restricts people from stepping out of their homes.[14] All transport services–road, air and rail–were suspended, with exceptions for transportation of essential goods, fire, police and emergency services.[18] Educational institutions, industrial establishments and hospitality services were also suspended.[18] Services such as food shops, banks and ATMs, petrol pumps, other essentials and their manufacturing are exempted.[19] The Home Ministry stated that anyone who fails to follow the restrictions can face up to a year in jail.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK - UPDATE
29 April 2020 14:50:01
Link to the IATA site listing the rules and regulations on global flight restrictions, and entry conditions, by country, updated today:
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/intern ... 226297.htm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:03 pm CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK - UPDATE
Link to the IATA site listing the rules and regulations on global flight restrictions, and entry conditions, by country, updated today:
Looks like the only update is the visa on arrival is suspended indefinitely, the previous notice stipulated "until 30th April 2020". Otherwise, there is no difference.

So, assuming you get a visa from the embassy and you have insurance, you still need:

2.a. "have a medical certificate, issued by competent health authorities of their country no more than 72 hours prior"

What exactly will suffice? A short letter on a Doctor's letterhead? A fancy certificate with gold braiding? Something with 3 different rubber stamps and signatures (like they like to produce)?

It seems to me that even if you can go and get a test, and even if you can then get a doctor to write such a letter, you are completely at the whim of an official who wont read English and wont even know what a doctor's letter looks like. You might as well make one yourself and buy a few rubber stamps. How will they know the difference? Will they be phoning the doctor?

Maybe you have to get a certificate before you get the visa? That's cutting it very fine. And only then can you buy a ticket which means full fare as you are going the next day.

Does anyone know anyone who has got in with a certificate?
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Looks like the only update is the visa on arrival is suspended indefinitely, the previous notice stipulated "until 30th April 2020". Otherwise, there is no difference.

So, assuming you get a visa from the embassy and you have insurance, you still need:

2.a. "have a medical certificate, issued by competent health authorities of their country no more than 72 hours prior"

What exactly will suffice? A short letter on a Doctor's letterhead? A fancy certificate with gold braiding? Something with 3 different rubber stamps and signatures (like they like to produce)?

It seems to me that even if you can go and get a test, and even if you can then get a doctor to write such a letter, you are completely at the whim of an official who wont read English and wont even know what a doctor's letter looks like. You might as well make one yourself and buy a few rubber stamps. How will they know the difference? Will they be phoning the doctor?

Maybe you have to get a certificate before you get the visa? That's cutting it very fine. And only then can you buy a ticket which means full fare as you are going the next day.

I have a feeling that the reason why this isn’t explained in more detail is that you will have to go through a 14 day mandatory quarantine anyway and, more importantly, no airline will resume flights to pp anyway.
Eventually, I guess, universally accepted Covid test certificates will be introduced and the requirement to have one before boarding will be with us for a long long time.
I assume there will be very limited and expensive flight options and mandatory quarantine until October at least and requirements for negative Covid test or (eventually) vaccine proof for years to come.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

theKid wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:51 pm

I have a feeling that the reason why this isn’t explained in more detail is that you will have to go through a 14 day mandatory quarantine anyway and, more importantly, no airline will resume flights to pp anyway.
Eventually, I guess, universally accepted Covid test certificates will be introduced and the requirement to have one before boarding will be with us for a long long time.
I assume there will be very limited and expensive flight options and mandatory quarantine until October at least and requirements for negative Covid test or (eventually) vaccine proof for years to come.
Until they get rid of any threat of mandatory quarantine in their facilities they will have zero tourism. I won't accept that ever.
Can they afford that? 6.2 million visitors and $4.37 billion of income on a $24 billion GDP economy? (2018)

I might jump through hoops to get a doctors letter, and visas from the embassy and pay through the nose for a last minute flight, but I have a reason to be there. No tourist will bother, and if a nice apartment comes up in Spain or Italy for the summer, my reason will disappear real quick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_o ... ia#Tourism
https://www.tourismcambodia.com/img/res ... s_2018.pdf
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

In the past some countries in the region had a head start on tourism (looking at you Thailand) because neighbors were considered unsafe due to recent wars and lacked infrastructure. Now all of them are back to square one.

A new race will start, countries that will make it as hassle free as possible and open themselves up for tourists will get a better share of this market than neighbors, considering many tourists have good reasons to not be scared by this virus and will travel as soon as permitted. Obviously, numbers of tourists previously recorded are hard to reach due to falling incomes in the world, but as that joke says “i only need to run faster than you to escape the tiger”.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Lao Airlines Suspends All Flights
04/05/2020
Source: Vientiane Times

The state-run Lao Airlines will suspend all domestic and international flights in order to prevent, limit and control the spread of Covid-19.

Last week, the company had made an announcement about the scheduled resumption of services on May 8, but the plan has now been indefinitely suspended.

A charter flight from Vientiane to Incheon, South Korea, which was scheduled for May 9 will operate as planned.
https://jclao.com/lao-airlines-suspends-all-flights/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Until they get rid of any threat of mandatory quarantine in their facilities they will have zero tourism. I won't accept that ever.
Can they afford that? 6.2 million visitors and $4.37 billion of income on a $24 billion GDP economy? (2018)

I might jump through hoops to get a doctors letter, and visas from the embassy and pay through the nose for a last minute flight, but I have a reason to be there. No tourist will bother, and if a nice apartment comes up in Spain or Italy for the summer, my reason will disappear real quick.

My escape guide:

1. Get yourself to the Victoria line, dodging the coppers and any awkward questions.
2. Get a train to Tottenham Hale (do NOT go to Liverpool street as there are cops EVERYWHERE in central london)
3. Ignore the signs that say 'do not go past this point unless you are a key worker' etc, and get the train to Bishop's Stortford
4. Phone Sian and ask her to take you to Stansted Airport Lodge via Tommy Tucker's chip shop, where you can grab a couple of pies and a soft drink for your lonely night at the Lodge.
5. Get Sian to pick you up in the morning and run you to the airport for your flight to Lisbon
6. Get yourself a mask (builders' merchants are a good bet if the pharmacies have run out) and head on down to the coast
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:58 pm

My escape guide:

1. Get yourself to the Victoria line, dodging the coppers and any awkward questions.
2. Get a train to Tottenham Hale (do NOT go to Liverpool street as there are cops EVERYWHERE in central london)
3. Ignore the signs that say 'do not go past this point unless you are a key worker' etc, and get the train to Bishop's Stortford
4. Phone Sian and ask her to take you to Stansted Airport Lodge via Tommy Tucker's chip shop, where you can grab a couple of pies and a soft drink for your lonely night at the Lodge.
5. Get Sian to pick you up in the morning and run you to the airport for your flight to Lisbon
6. Get yourself a mask (builders' merchants are a good bet if the pharmacies have run out) and head on down to the coast
Europe is very much on my radar if Cambodia is still playing silly buggers by the end of June (and the fuckin pubs are still shut). I might get a lift to Stansted, sounds a bit easier than your Man from Milk Tray epic journey.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm
Foreigner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:58 pm

My escape guide:

Europe is very much on my radar if Cambodia is still playing silly buggers by the end of June (and the fuckin pubs are still shut). I might get a lift to Stansted, sounds a bit easier than your Man from Milk Tray epic journey.
Tbh, it was a bit of a mission, mainly because almost all the guest houses and hotels were closed down when I left a month ago and I spent half a day traipsing round Cambridge and bishop's Stortford lugging my bags around trying to find a room. I then got lucky meeting this lady taxi driver out of nowhere when things weren't looking all that great. It was also unclear whether the airport was actually open as no departures were showing on the departure screens at the train stations and there was no information on the airport website. Also getting down to the coast was a little bit risky once here. All worked out alright anyway. They've come out of the state of emergency here today and a few shops are opening up and the weather's lovely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic