Shipping to Cambodia from Oz

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Shipping to Cambodia from Oz

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Does anybody have any info re shipping "household goods" to Cambodia from Australia.
I want to send 3 or 4 kayaks.
Cost and reliability is crucial - time is not so important.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Shipping to Cambodia from Oz

Post by Username Taken »

I know this doesn't answer your question, but,

it might work out cheaper to buy in Bangkok. https://paddlesportsthailand.com/buy/
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Thanks Ute - but Thailand is more expeno than Aust in straight US/Aus dollar numbers
then account for exchange rate
then account for the great second hand market in Oz

It blew me away how cheap they were when i came back to Oz and checked the prices here.- and the range and quality.
Still much cheaper if i can ship them for a couple of hundred bucks each - but no joy yet from early inquiries from freight forwarders in Sydney.

I suspect i may have to get an address or agent in Thailand, and get them delivered there
- but not looked at that yet.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:16 am Thanks Ute - but Thailand is more expeno than Aust in straight US/Aus dollar numbers
then account for exchange rate
then account for the great second hand market in Oz

It blew me away how cheap they were when i came back to Oz and checked the prices here.- and the range and quality.
Still much cheaper if i can ship them for a couple of hundred bucks each - but no joy yet from early inquiries from freight forwarders in Sydney.

I suspect i may have to get an address or agent in Thailand, and get them delivered there
- but not looked at that yet.

Would it be worth while buying 10 or more, plus a few BBQ s , to fill a shipping container and send direct to Cambodia , Sell the ones you dont want to pay for expenses. I have plenty of storage at Takhmau if you need it.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:26 am Would it be worth while buying 10 or more, plus a few BBQ s , to fill a shipping container and send direct to Cambodia , Sell the ones you dont want to pay for expenses. I have plenty of storage at Takhmau if you need it.
Thanks for the offer Dunc - can i raise the stakes?
Do you want to go into biz with me on this? Fill up a small container.
We are probably heading back about the same time - ie, asap.

Second hand Weber style barbies would be dirt cheap here. They are about the most common large item on the curb side whenever they have a council clean-up/pick-up. Do you think you could get a good price in Cambodia?
And winter is a great time to buy good second hand 'yaks.

Late edit - second thoughts, dealing with Cambodian customs sounds like it would be a nightmare. and expensive.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

In the past I have always used a German global company called DB Schenker. I found them very reliable and reasonably priced. I have not used them for quite a few years but they are worth checking out. They do operate in Cambodia.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:47 am
Late edit - second thoughts, dealing with Cambodian customs sounds like it would be a nightmare. and expensive.
If you find a good shipping agent in Cambodia, they can handle customs etc for you. In fact, they may provide a local importer you can consign the goods to, so (on paper) you're not involved at all at the Cambodia end.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:26 am Would it be worth while buying 10 or more, plus a few BBQ s , to fill a shipping container and send direct to Cambodia , Sell the ones you dont want to pay for expenses. I have plenty of storage at Takhmau if you need it.

Second hand Weber style barbies would be dirt cheap here. They are about the most common large item on the curb side whenever they have a council clean-up/pick-up. Do you think you could get a good price in Cambodia?

To do that I would be breaking a promise to myself to never work for anyone ever again and never ever go into business again.

Sticking to that promise also means I will never ever be running a bar. Keep up the good work Mr ????
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

May I ask, how are you getting out of Oz? I thought you needed permission from the government to leave and what about the entry restrictions getting back into Cambodia?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

It won't be for a while yet, Doc. I heard some commentary on the ABC last night which suggested that totally unrestricted travel into and out of Oz may be 12 - 18 months away.
Not sure it will be that long, but at this stage i am very doubtful we will be out before Xmas.
Which is why slow boat freight to Cambodia is fine - if i can find a reliable and inexpensive shipper.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic