considering moving to cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: considering moving to cambodia

Post by daeum_tnaot »

oswylde wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:20 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:03 pm We don't know what nationality you are but if you are American, or four other nationalities, the Cambodian government has just barred entry starting Tuesday. Who knows how long it will last.

Also you may want to buy a refundable ticket as I heard some people's flights were canceled and they got little of their money back.
i have a pakistani passport but i'll be flying in from the middle east. dunno if my nationality is gonna get in the way of things but knowing the way the world works, it probably will. still will they actually bar me from entering? or just be more strict in their inquiries? i'm gonna have an e-visa (the electronic one) in hand if that's any help.
Personally my suggestion to you is to forget about working and rather spend a good long time traveling. You say you will have $16-17k, and you could probably get by on about $1000 per month if you are careful. Maybe even less.

I suggest Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, maybe Vietnam. You could have a real adventure, really see some interesting things, have a good time, experience life.

This "job" from workaway sounds like a joke, many of these "volunteering" websites are like a scam. You will be bored staying in one place all the time and you are making very little money. People say "work smart, not hard" for a reason.

After a while you may have a better idea what you want to do with your life, you can go back to study. And you are more likely to find a good job on the ground in a country like Cambodia than you would from some website.

tl;dr, you'll have a great time traveling, working for peanuts, you will be bored in one place.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when i travel in se asia I budget $50/day including travel expenses minus flights, (except when i am driving my car)
If one was inclined to stay in dorms/fan rooms that figure could drop to around $35
so $1,000-1,200/month you could see and do plenty, get a real feel for each area...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Ong Tay wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 am
Robins wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:28 pm Try Asian Tigers (International Moving and Relocation) , they have a good reputation.
Thank you. I noticed on my last visit to Phnom Penh that I didn't see a single Thai car, that was disappointing.
Why was that disappointing?
Sorry for the late answer, I was hoping I could just drive my Thai car to Cambodia and keep it there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic