MARK ASPINALL Arrested after Pulling Out Gun over Drink Bill in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Westerner Arrested after Pulling Out Gun over Drink Bill in Phnom Penh

Post by Jerry Atrick »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:16 pm

My Mrs would hate it if I posted details about her work and who she works with because she said they don’t trust foreigners and more explicitly they don’t trust them to keep quiet about the money being made.
Reading this, I can understand why she feels that way.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

The bar he was at is very local. I and 2 friends who live on the same street as the bar are the only westerners i have ever seen in there.i have seen the guy walking around here but never seen him in that bar.it only reopened at the weekend.no one in the bar speaks a word of english. Its on a back street out the way.and only ever has a few customers.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

Soriya wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:36 pm The bar he was at is very local. I and 2 friends who live on the same street as the bar are the only westerners i have ever seen in there.i have seen the guy walking around here but never seen him in that bar.it only reopened at the weekend.no one in the bar speaks a word of english. Its on a back street out the way.and only ever has a few customers.
Sounds like a fun place. Hostesses?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

He often goes off air for a month or so these days.
I doubt if his superiors would have been upset with his posting here.
He is always a fierce champion of the cops, military and Gov - and never a peep about $$$ being earned on the side.
He is as one sided in his praise for his football team (the blokes in uniform) as the most fiercely one-eyed footy fan.

Despite being philosophically opposite in every way - there are a few things i really like about him, and admire.
He is no snowflake. Nor a hater.
Unlike nearly all of the rightists i have duelled with on these pages, he doesn't hold a grudge. He even gives rep points to an ideological opposite on the occasions he does agree. Very few of his political ilk have the strength of character to do that.
And that says so much about this bloke to me.
Gutsy, independent, doesn't give a flying flock, more interested in the person than the politics - despite his own fiecely held opinions.

And no matter how stupid this action was - at least he had the guts to actually do what all the other cowboy gun nuts only boast about when propped up against the bar.
I reckon he will survive this.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Bedazzler! wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Soriya wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:36 pm The bar he was at is very local. I and 2 friends who live on the same street as the bar are the only westerners i have ever seen in there.i have seen the guy walking around here but never seen him in that bar.it only reopened at the weekend.no one in the bar speaks a word of english. Its on a back street out the way.and only ever has a few customers.
Theres girls there,so i assume so. But living 50 metres down theroad its more than i dare do with my missus
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:43 pm
Gutsy, independent, doesn't give a flying flock, more interested in the person than the politics - despite his own fiecely held opinions.

And no matter how stupid this action was - at least he had the guts to actually do what all the other cowboy gun nuts only boast about when propped up against the bar.
I reckon he will survive this.
I would suggest that pulling out a gun to intimidate a Khmer barmaid or bartender over an $8 bar tab is neither admirable nor "gutsy."

If that's what happened.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I can't wait for the defence to open.

Thorny issues to overcome: Punching owner; returning with a gun; brandishing the gun; resisting arrest (see below*)

* This is not a good sign...

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I did ask "Is it fake news", I still wonder on the outcome.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Pedroviera wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:16 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:50 pm why did he have to go back for the gun?
i thought he said he always carried one
anyway, good luck, though i think he has a get-out-jail card anyway
The man has reached out to others struggling or in need many many times. Good hearted and positive Mojo all the way around on this forum . God knows details with local reporting skills said incident... Maybe he stops for nightcap and different staff, location, ect. A place where he's not regular... Payment issue ( left money at home) and goes home grabs cash, regrets chaos before, whatever. Probably surprised the sheet out of owner/staff first white guy ever Came Back to pay the bill. Gets heated cuz they mad at him and scuffle and they see gun (he usually has anyways? )... Or things get weird and he pulls it out in self defense.... No way I believe article as written like he a stone cold criminal. I predict hell update the forum eventually.... He went back to pay speaks volumes about the whole incident even if he (might have? ) got a little owly before. Godspeed to a good man
Your his lawyer? Going back to the place of whatever incident with a gun pointing it at people is a major crime - at least in my book.
Locked Previous topicNext topic