Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by ExPenhMan »

finish_money wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm A good, intelligent report on how Sweden has shunned the lock-em-down strategy and largely kept its social harmony humming without posting huge positive test numbers or deaths. Some fascinating stuff.
https://uncoverdc.com/2020/04/23/sweden ... stay-flat/
Interesting as I was just reading this:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ssion=true
Thanks. The elderly pay the price in every infected country, with dozens dying in single care homes, because they usually have two or three co-morbidities. (And no one is sure the autopsies, if there's time for a thorough one or done at all, rule on the actual reason for death.) Thought it's a bit scary that Swedish home staff have no self-protection. I wonder if that's true for all. The story is not at all clear about that.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:55 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:30 pm No testing, no cases
But noticeably stretched medical care and much more funerals.

I can not confirm That’s the case in the KoW. At least it’s not the case in the part of the KoW where I live. It seems there really are few (noticeable?) cases here.

The guy living opposite my house works for a private cremation service and business has been extremely slow for him. In fact so slow he changed jobs and now keeps an eye on someone’s farm instead.
I live in very close proximity to the Khmer-Soviet friendship hospital, and I haven't noticed any spike in activity there at all. The flow of traffic and people seeem about as normal as they ever were, so I do lean towards the official figures being pretty much about right. I'm very surprised there isn't more attention being paid towards countries such as Cambodia by scientists asking why there are such low numbers compared to Europe and the US.

Considering Australia and other hot countries have had their fair share of cases, it doesn't seem to me that the climate is as big a factor as we might think. It would appear at the moment that the only differentiating factor lies in whether countries are developed or developing. I fully realise how strange that sounds. How can a virus know if a country is a developed country or not? But all the stats seem to indicate that developing nations aren't anywhere near as affected as developed ones.

Of course, you could go back to the testing argument, but again, that doesn't seem to me to hold much water. A pandemic on the scale of Italy, Spain, the US or the UK would be evident in itself. You wouldn't need testing or official stats to know that a pandemic on that kind of scale was happening on your doorstep.

I'm no scientist but it appears to me that some very serious analysis of countries such as Cambodia needs to be happenening if we want to understand how this virus really works.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Look at where its been the worst and look at how people get around.
Mass transit, close contact
nada to do with climate/temp
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:47 pm Look at where its been the worst and look at how people get around.
Unfortunately mass transit doesn't apply to most of the US, so it can't be just that. Only the biggest of cities in the US have much at all in the way of mass transit. Everyone everywhere else drives their own cars.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Electric Earth wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:47 pm Look at where its been the worst and look at how people get around.
Unfortunately mass transit doesn't apply to most of the US, so it can't be just that. Only the biggest of cities in the US have much at all in the way of mass transit. Everyone everywhere else drives their own cars.
Out of 50,000
new york city 16,646
Detroit 1,443
Chicago 1,220
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

China sends 2 boxes of aid to Syria

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/english/n ... -two-boxes

for lols, i guess
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

April 26, 2020 / 1:01 AM / Updated an hour ago
In four U.S. state prisons, nearly 3,300 inmates test positive for coronavirus -- 96% without symptoms
Linda So, Grant Smith

9 Min Read

(Reuters) - When the first cases of the new coronavirus surfaced in Ohio’s prisons, the director in charge felt like she was fighting a ghost.

“We weren’t always able to pinpoint where all the cases were coming from,” said Annette Chambers-Smith, director of the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction. As the virus spread, they began mass testing.

They started with the Marion Correctional Institution, which houses 2,500 prisoners in north central Ohio, many of them older with pre-existing health conditions. After testing 2,300 inmates for the coronavirus, they were shocked. Of the 2,028 who tested positive, close to 95% had no symptoms.

“It was very surprising,” said Chambers-Smith, who oversees the state’s 28 correctional facilities.

As mass coronavirus testing expands in prisons, large numbers of inmates are showing no symptoms. In four state prison systems — Arkansas, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia — 96% of 3,277 inmates who tested positive for the coronavirus were asymptomatic, according to interviews with officials and records reviewed by Reuters. That’s out of 4,693 tests that included results on symptoms.

The numbers are the latest evidence to suggest that people who are asymptomatic — contagious but not physically sick — may be driving the spread of the virus, not only in state prisons that house 1.3 million inmates across the country, but also in communities across the globe. The figures also reinforce questions over whether testing of just people suspected of being infected is actually capturing the spread of the virus.

“It adds to the understanding that we have a severe undercount of cases in the U.S.,” said Dr. Leana Wen, adjunct associate professor of emergency medicine at George Washington University, said of the Reuters findings. “The case count is likely much, much higher than we currently know because of the lack of testing and surveillance.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2270RX
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

I think it's pretty safe to say the Mediterranean Diet is ineffective against Covid-19, and the Standard American Diet (SAD) has probably increased the fatalities. I'm a firm believer in the Shithole Effect where in a pandemic, the squeaky clean Asian countries like Japan, and Korea, and generally in Western countries, people should drop like flies due to a weakened immune system caused by minimal exposure to dirt and germs, and buggy countries like China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Pakistan, India and African countries should hold up pretty well. India is fucking with my model at the moment with 825 deaths, but they have a very large population, and we'll see the real numbers when the dust settles. It could well be down to the variety of lifeforms in your microbiome. Just a thought.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

26th Jan

It took 2 months to get to this on 26th March

It took just another month to get to this today, 26th April

Current Global Daily Infections, between 80,000 and 100,000 per day.
These are what is being reported so like way under the true numbers.
Little sign of slowing down. At this rate it's over 6 mililon by the end of May
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Take a cruise...

Nearly 60 more cases on Costa Atlantica in Nagasaki bring cruise ship's virus tally to 148
Kyodo, REUTERS
Apr 25, 2020

The Nagasaki Prefectural Government on Saturday announced that 57 new coronavirus infections had been confirmed among the crew of an Italian cruise ship docked there.

With testing of all crew members now complete, the new number brings the total aboard the Costa Atlantica to 148, accounting for roughly a quarter of the vessel's 623-member crew. No passengers were aboard.

The infection cluster in Nagasaki comes as hospitals are running out of beds in some parts of Japan, where the national tally of virus cases has risen above 12,800. Some 345 people have died.

Of those infected onboard the Costa Atlantica, only one crew member has been admitted to hospital, NHK said. The others have shown slight or no symptoms and remain on board.

The vessel has been docked in Japan since February for repairs and maintenance after the pandemic prevented scheduled repairs in China. Nagasaki authorities had quarantined the vessel on arrival, and ordered its crew not to venture beyond the quay except for hospital visits.
But prefectural officials said earlier this week that some of the crew had departed without their knowledge and that they were seeking detailed information on their movements.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... -nagasaki/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic