Where to Report Siem Reap Falcon Seller ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Where to Report Siem Reap Falcon Seller ?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Anyway, we (all) got good outcome.
Who is in Siam Reap?
- any chance of getting over to The Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB) to give us a report on how "our" birds are doing?
Please.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:Anyway, we (all) got good outcome.
Who is in Siam Reap?
- any chance of getting over to The Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB) to give us a report on how "our" birds are doing?
Please.
I’d love to go, if it’s okay with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:46 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote:Anyway, we (all) got good outcome.
Who is in Siam Reap?
Please.
I’d love to go, if it’s okay with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you go, photos please. :good:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

FAB!!! thanks Roz.
Hang tight for a day or so and i will try to get some info on whether that will be possible straight away - they might be "quarantined" for a while.

Just a thought, maybe we CEO members could adopt/sponsor these birds to help pay for their care.- and hopefully re-release.
Maybe get naming rights!!

Sit with that for a day or two everybody, and i will try to find out what is possible.
Ooops firstly, before i go off half-cocked - are there any other members willing to throw in a few bucks for this?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:55 am Great photos and find Andy.
I am not a hunter myself but i can understand those that do. (sometimes!)

These are not native hawks ^^ i looked them up when you first posted about them before - cant find the post now or the ID, but they are a Sth/central American species which are favoured for hunting.

There are some exceptions to legally keeping local birds captive here - for "merit freeing" eg. But i doubt it is legal to use native species, certainly not wild caught birds, for hunting.
Not sure what birds Khmer Hawk Master's use (see previous page). But probably all legal.
Maybe your friends ^^^ are members of this group.

To answer part of your question J57 - Raptors and all "power" animals are favoured by many khmer BigBoys as a status symbol. Keeping or eating them is a totemic way of absorbing their power.
Also just to be show-offs.
Some Khmers of all classes also like to keep birds and animals just because they like them. Pretty much the same as everywhere. Fortunately greater awareness in most civilised places about the cost to the animals, and to the species preservation, has greatly reduced this practice. Including in Cambodia. (except by the very rich/powerful. Ravensnest's Phnom Penh gibbons for example)
I could take a shot at USA for still allowing all kinds of animals to be kept by random individuals - but instead i will express my admiration for the interest and care that you show about wildlife in your post above.
:thumb:
Firstly well done Sir, you have achieved by taking action of what you believe in. also neither in the country, a true hearted conservationist, :hattip:

Harris's Hawks and yes their club. - Harris's Hawk formerly known as the bay-winged hawk or dusky hawk, and known in Latin America as peuco, is a medium-large bird of prey that breeds from the southwestern United States south to Chile, central Argentina, and Brazil. Birds are sometimes reported at large in Western Europe, especially Britain, but it is a popular species in falconry and these records almost certainly all refer to escapes from captivity.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I saw a woman selling similar birds on the side of the road in Battambang a few days ago. I have a couple of photos but no idea how to put them up.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

20 April 2020
Two Young Hornbills Rescued
It was a lucky escape for these two juvenile wreathed hornbills that were rescued last week by MoE - Wildlife Alliance rangers at Stung Proat station. We're glad to say that the hornbills are now with our team at our Wildlife Release Station where they can hopefully be released back into the wild. It's likely these hornbills were destined for the illegal pet trade, but they are also used in traditional medicine and as ornaments.

3 ways you can help save Cambodia's wildlife:

1. Do not eat wildlife or buy wildlife pets

2. Report wildlife crimes to our Wildlife Crime Hotline (through Facebook or call 012 500 094) and the Forestry Administration, Cambodia

3. Show your support on social media for the #StopEatingWildlife campaign
https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeAllianceCambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another story about saving wild birds in Cambodia with happy ending:

Kampong Thom, Cambodia News: On 22 April,2020, two protected storks were taken from a family who were looking after them and hoping to get them to breed. Kampong Thom law enforcement officers took the two storks into custody and handed them over to the NGO Wildlife Alliance.
The stork keepers said they didn't realize that it was wrong to keep the birds, but after the officials explained that they are a protected species, the couple promised that they would not keep wild birds again.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic