teachers getting reduced salary because of coronavirus?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Re: teachers getting reduced salary because of coronavirus?

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

numacsys wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:27 pm
TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:21 am
Electric Earth wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 am If need be you can live OK for ~four months on a couple thousand.
That's $500 a month. Many bargirls can't even live on that.
Why not? Where do they think they live? In Geneva?
It's those chronically addicted to something who can't live on $500 a month.
That or those who live beyond their means.
Many bargirls like to enjoy life and eat in decent restaurants and drink in trendy bars and buy clothes and things in stores. You can't do that if you're living on $500 a month.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:59 pmMany bargirls like to enjoy life and eat in decent restaurants and drink in trendy bars and buy clothes and things in stores. You can't do that if you're living on $500 a month.
You said "Many bargirls can't even live on that." There's a big difference between "can't live on that" and "can't afford to eat in restaurants and drink in trendy bars every night." Besides, if an attractive, working girl can't get herself a few free drinks in a trendy bar, she's pretty shit at her job. And I thought all of the trendy bars and restaurants were closed right now. Maybe that's just in Siem Reap?
Last edited by Electric Earth on Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:59 pm You'd need to rent a place that's no more than $100-150 and be VERY cheap. Not a very interesting prospect.
Or live with someone. I share a place that's $250/month, and was a steal. When looking, I was looking at places between $300-350. This place was as nice as anything I found for $350, and is in a great location. I'm still kinda surprised at what a deal it is. The owner even provides water jugs, so I never have to worry about or pay for that. She also told us that rent will only be $200 this month and next since she realizes everyone is struggling right now. Really nice lady. So basically I am only paying $100/month rent right now, but in a place equivalent to a $350 place. That leaves me almost $100/week for food, etc. Plenty to eat and drink well, and a little spending money.

My fridge is stocked with bacon, eggs, cheese, milk, chocolate and little store bought deserts, chicken, pork, fresh veggies, beer. The pantry is well stocked with bread, pasta, sauce materials, flour for home-made tortillas, crepes, etc, spices, etc. The top of the fridge is stocked with pretty decent liquor. I have internet and run a/c most all day. I'm working on online classes and spending some time putzing with/cleaning up my motorcycle. I really just can't understand why some of you think this life is insufferable.

Could one of you high-rollers please explain to me your amazing life-style? Maybe there's honestly something I'm totally missing that I don't even realize? To me the only difference between now and before when I was spending $1,000/month is that I cook and drink at home rather than restaurants, but surely that's not the only thing that makes my current budget simply unbearable to a few of you. What am I missing out on?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Electric Earth wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:59 pm You'd need to rent a place that's no more than $100-150 and be VERY cheap. Not a very interesting prospect.
Or live with someone. I share a place that's $250/month, and was a steal. When looking, I was looking at places between $300-350. This place was as nice as anything I found for $350, and is in a great location. I'm still kinda surprised at what a deal it is. The owner even provides water jugs, so I never have to worry about or pay for that. She also told us that rent will only be $200 this month and next since she realizes everyone is struggling right now. Really nice lady. So basically I am only paying $100/month rent right now, but in a place equivalent to a $350 place. That leaves me almost $100/week for food, etc. Plenty to eat and drink well, and a little spending money.

My fridge is stocked with bacon, eggs, cheese, milk, chocolate and little store bought deserts, chicken, pork, fresh veggies, beer. The pantry is well stocked with bread, pasta, sauce materials, flour for home-made tortillas, crepes, etc, spices, etc. The top of the fridge is stocked with pretty decent liquor. I have internet and run a/c most all day. I'm working on online classes and spending some time putzing with/cleaning up my motorcycle. I really just can't understand why some of you think this life is insufferable.

Could one of you high-rollers please explain to me your amazing life-style? Maybe there's honestly something I'm totally missing that I don't even realize? To me the only difference between now and before when I was spending $1,000/month is that I cook and drink at home rather than restaurants, but surely that's not the only thing that makes my current budget simply unbearable to a few of you. What am I missing out on?
No one is judging you. Do as you please. But spending $100 on rent, then another $60-80 (assuming you really do use ac all day) only leaves you with $10/day, or $3 per meal. Doable, but that also means zero hobbies, eating out, traveling or money being put aside for a rainy day. Many consider that just scraping by. Either way, you're doing good as I think we're all trying to minimize expenses and find alternative sources of income.

Anyways, the idea of this whole thing lingering on for too long is quite dire not just for teachers, but everyone. I'm sure the ones in power are fully aware that a big economic downturn could create a disastrous backlash, so they're likely not too keen on keeping things closed up for too long. It's a tricky situation for all involved. I know it's not PC to say, and understand wanting to protect the elderly and those at risk because of pre-existing conditions, but shutting down whole economies for 3 years isn't an interesting prospect either. This is especially true in countries like Cambodia, where those at risk are cared for by their younger relatives, and the quality of care they receive largely depends on, or rather is directly related to their level of income.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:00 am
Electric Earth wrote:

No one is judging you. Do as you please. But spending $100 on rent, then another $60-80 (assuming you really do use ac all day) only leaves you with $10/day, or $3 per meal. Doable, but that also means zero hobbies, eating out, traveling or money being put aside for a rainy day. Many consider that just scraping by.
You're right if that was a Westerner's regular living conditions that would be classed as scraping by in anyone's books, but this is Electric Earth adapting his lifestyle to the current situation and he's making the best out of a bad situation. For me when I've been temporarily between jobs in my life I've always cut back on non-essential items like travel and eating out, a lot of hobbies can be free so that's not always an issue.

Excellent posts and approach Electric Earth.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:03 am Beware the serial troll. Surprised he hasn't been outed yet.
He's getting endless, for all his regular attacks and putting down of posters under his numerous reincarnations I think he's the one with some issues he needs to address if this is how he derives satisfaction.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

you are all splitting hairs over something that's subjective to each and every one of you. we all have different bills, some have medications to buy, all kinds of variables. Then, add on what each of us "feels" is comfortable.
Electric Earth wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:29 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 am yes sir- most private schools are teaching online currently.
Just curious, where do you live, and do they still have full staff on? Most of the schools here in Siem Reap seem to be either closed, or have reduced staff. Several teachers I know are out of work. One friend is working, but she's the only one working for her grade. Basically they cut all teachers except for one per grade(so about 1 in 4 teachers is working). That teacher prepares an online lesson for the entire grade twice per week. She went from making $700/month to $200/month, is doing just as much work, and is also now preparing lessons for way more students. The rest of the teachers are just out of jobs. That's the basic situation in Siem Reap as far as I know it, but I certainly don't know the specifics of every school here. It seems that most aren't working, some are working at greatly reduced wages.

Many more Khmer staff are still working but at reduced wages.
Sorry for the late reply. I live in PP. there are many schools here and I only know a fraction of what's happening. I work for one of the largest private schools, if not the largest in Cambodia. I have heard of a school that dismissed their teachers only to later ask them to volunteer and teach online :facepalm:

At my school, any teachers that wanted to take leave or quit could do so immediately without notice and 0 penalties. I only know of 1 teacher who took leave because he is not tech-savvy.

Since the extended announcement, I have no idea what's going to happen at my school.
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic