Vietnam Plates on Motorbike

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Vietnam Plates on Motorbike

Post by lagrange »

I know its ok to ride a motorbike from Vietnam into Cambodia - does anyone know how long you can keep it in Cambodia with VN plates? Indefinitely? or does it have to be registered in Cambodia after a certain period?
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Vietnam Plates on Motorbike

Post by Electric Earth »

Are we talking legally, or whether you'll actually get in trouble for it? Legally, you are supposed to get it registered in Cambodia, and to my understanding, you can't if you're not Cambodian. My bike has VN plates, and the barang owner before me owned it for a couple years with those same plates. I've ridden past countless numbers of police and never been stopped. The owner before said he's been pulled over for no helmet. He said he gave the guy cash on the spot for the helmet issue and drove away no problem, without a mention of the plates. I always wear a helmet regardless of the law, and drive reasonably when there are others around. Never been pulled over for anything in ~4 months of ownership. It may be different in other places, but they don't seem to care in Siem Reap.

I would make sure you have the ownership card and keep a picture of it on your phone. Keep the card at home. As always in life, make sure you have some small cash on you when you go out. I haven't had to deal with cops yet, but everyone says they're easily paid off.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Thanks, I thought that would probably be the case, good to hear it from someone with experience. Also I guess with VN plates its easier to get it back into Vietnam, maybe into Laos as well. Cheers.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

lagrange wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:58 am Thanks, I thought that would probably be the case, good to hear it from someone with experience. Also I guess with VN plates its easier to get it back into Vietnam, maybe into Laos as well. Cheers.
Occassionally they have a purge and if they catch you the bike will be confiscated
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

lagrange wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:58 am Thanks, I thought that would probably be the case, good to hear it from someone with experience. Also I guess with VN plates its easier to get it back into Vietnam, maybe into Laos as well. Cheers.
You can not cross into Laos with a VN plated bike only back into VN.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

[/quote]
You can not cross into Laos with a VN plated bike only back into VN.
[/quote]

I checked into this and technically correct from a legal standpoint. However there is some talk on various sites that suggests a bit of 'coffee money' can make it possible, also there seems to be a way for the rider to cross the border separately, and the bike goes 'another way' All very risky and yes, to get into Laos its better to go back through Vietnam. Seems hardly worth it, last time I was in Laos it just looked like Cambo anyway - move on, nothing to see here folks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic