Dealing with trolls

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Dealing with trolls

Post by Electric Earth »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:17 am As a rule*, forum posts should be like short skirts-

Long enough to cover the subject matter, yet short enough to maintain interest.
That's fantastic. Sig worthy, I'd say.

How about a vacation for any annoying, unoriginal, repetitive use of the word "snowflake?"
Or that teaching for peanuts guy who posts Very little other than contrary replies to other members? Nothing of actual contribution to the forum. Seems like trolling to me.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Electric Earth wrote:Seems like trolling to me.
Just beware of the slippery slope. It’s easy to dismiss someone’s opinions or beliefs or lifestyle as being of ‘no value’ and putting the label of ‘troll’ on it.

I would hate for CEO to degenerate into self-censorship for the voices of the chosen few.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:12 am
Just beware of the slippery slope. It’s easy to dismiss someone’s opinions or beliefs or lifestyle as being of ‘no value’ and putting the label of ‘troll’ on it.
Not what I meant. It's not that someone's opinions or beliefs are of no value, but that they aren't contributing anything of value to the forum by simply trying to get people into arguments, etc. Different beliefs are what create interesting discussions. It's when almost the only time the person posts is to be contrary to someone else's post.
When there's practically no content added to the forum other than contrary replies to others, isn't that pretty much the definition of trolling?
I've seen peanuts being contrary to michal stewart(or whatever his name is). Then someone else(I think phuket richard) said something to michal, and peanuts attacked him. Whether it's intentional or just a personality thing, I don't know, but it still seems like trolling to me.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:35 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:12 am
Not what I meant. It's not that someone's opinions or beliefs are of no value, but that they aren't contributing anything of value to the forum by simply trying to get people into arguments, etc. Different beliefs are what create interesting discussions. It's when almost the only time the person posts is to be contrary to someone else's post.
When there's practically no content added to the forum other than contrary replies to others, isn't that pretty much the definition of trolling?
I've seen peanuts being contrary to michal stewart(or whatever his name is). Then someone else(I think phuket richard) said something to michal, and peanuts attacked him. Whether it's intentional or just a personality thing, I don't know, but it still seems like trolling to me.
"aren't contributing anything of value to the forum by simply trying to get people into arguments"? The whole point of posting is to either provide information or instigate a discussion, Either of which can lead to what i presume you are referring to as argumanets. By your reasoning , after the original poster has posted, we should all just post "hear her, good stuff", istead of telling hi it was aload of boolx and you get your visa this way not that
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

pczz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:13 am...instead of telling hi it was aload of boolx and you get your visa this way not that
I think it very much depends on how you do it, and what else you contribute to the forum. I've seen posts of yours where you give counter points or disagree with someone(as you have here), but it's not in an unhelpful, trolling manner, and also posts where you contribute your own ideas or helpful information or opinion. There's a difference between simply being contrary to everyone all the time yet not providing anything beyond that vs. disagreeing or providing different opinions. Often trolls provide nothing else beyond their contrary posts, whereas normal folk contribute beyond simply disagreeing with others.

Note the quote you made above. "It was a load of boolx and you get your visa this way, not that." Still helpful. You didn't just reply "If you can't figure that out then how hell did you make it to Cambodia in the first place" or something like that. Big difference when the latter is practically the only posts someone makes.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ I think Electric Earth's troll was more stalking than trolling. The trollish posts to which he refers were not intended to instigate discussion.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: I deal with my trolls with cold ,crispy CASH.If they produce good material , , they get good cash , .However ,if they don't get much writing published ,they don't get much cash. Some of my trolls are 1st class drinkers but also look like trolls... :dragonchase:
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Probably been mentioned but just go to their profiles and add as "foe" and it blocks them. About 90% of the posters here are trolls. They put a lot of time in to it. They post what they concider a humorous picture of their imaginary internet warrior selves on their profiles and are online the whole of their waking lives posting one line memes. Most of them are probably kids living in their mothers basements and have never visited cambodia. The site is much easier to use if you don't have to read thru their mastabatory drivel
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Look who's on the glass pipe again. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I don't even know anybody with a basement!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic