Since we can't travel; here's some travel videos to get ya thinking

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Since we can't travel; here's some travel videos to get ya thinking

Post by phuketrichard »

Just a few

Burma

Cambodia

Indonesia

Laos

Thailand

Vietnam

Namaste'
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: since we cant travel; heres some vidoes to get ya thinking

Post by crob »

The first one is very hypnotic
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Since we can't travel; here's some travel videos to get ya thinking

Post by phuketrichard »

and one from Nepal

This one really lifts me up :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Did any of you sad old suckers read "The Drifters" - James A Michener's rather condescending tale of the Hippy Trail.
There was one girl, Scandinavian i think, or Dutch, who was absolutely committed to breaking free and hitting the lands of sunshine and freedom.
Slaved away, saving every cent. It took her yonks. (ages)

But she had this thing of absolutely refusing to put a picture of a palm tree, or any kind of idyllic image of what she was aiming for on her wall.
She reckoned it would dissipate her will, give her a little easing of that terrible burning desire - and no way would a second best, second hand picture taken by anyone else be good enough for her.
She wanted the real thing - Only!
She just lived with her own inner image of her burning heart's desire - and that drove to do everything she could to get there herself.
So no romantic adventure travel stories either. It's all Coca Cola compared with The real Real Thing.

PS, I don't recommend The Drifters 50 years on - it was already dated when it was contemporary, written by a good writer but a very old fashioned man.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

was a good read but
"Caravans", also by Michener, was better
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

We all read Michener back in the 60’s in NZ. We loved him. All far too dated now. His first and second books were his best. Tales of the South Pacific and Return to the South Pacific. He won the Pulitzer Prize with Tales. It was controversial at the time but they kept changing the rules.
Michener was in the Navy, a new breed of officer. He was a fixer who went everywhere but never saw a sub or an aircraft carrier and never set foot on a battleship. The book is fiction and very folksy and most places he served have fictitious names like Bali Hai.
But it is full of the flavour of the times and the places and the war.
The Pink House in Noumea sounded great. And Kennedy the brave Kiwi on Segi Point which Michener describes as the most beautiful place in the SW Pacific. Kennedy has a private army and kept the Japs at bay. And the bouncing Betty, a stripped down B24 that roamed as far as NZ seeking booze.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:44 pm was a good read but
"Caravans", also by Michener, was better
I always liked his book Poland. I first read the book when I was 10 years old. I can still imagine women in my village being captured and brought back to Mongolia simply because Mongols wants buxom, blonde white girls. Me and my sister had a few castle lego sets and I would renact these events to the best of my ability. The Tatars would come out of the east and my Cossacks would attempt to repel them. They would join forces when the Queen of hearts would arrive with her allies the queen of spades, clubs, and diamonds.
bernipes
Tourist

Post by bernipes »

Nice videos,

A bit frustrating but Thanks for sharing!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic