Are cambodian people speak english?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
bernipes
Tourist

Are cambodian people speak english?

Post by bernipes »

Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new on that forum, and sorry if i'm asking something which is already in an other thread...

.. But is it okay if we just speak in english and want to go at Cambodia for 1 year stay?

Thanks a lot!!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Are cambodian people speak english?

Post by WildA »

I think you will find their spoken English to be equivalalent or better than yours.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

WildA wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:31 am I think you will find their spoken English to be equivalalent or better than yours.
Oh, the ironing
up to you...
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Clemen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:46 am
WildA wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:31 am I think you will find their spoken English to be equivalalent or better than yours.
Oh, the ironing
No actually nerve damage in the fingers and the lack of caring, the message was obvious even to you, a self appointed spell checker?
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Just a light-hearted joke I think. I hate "grammar nazi's " too, but in the context...
Irony Man
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Irony Man »

Ours do, but I can't be sure about yours.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

how about you try to learn the language? you certainly won't be moving here any time soon with all the restrictions so I suggest you use the time to learn to speak Khmer. Would anybody get by in your country if they didn't speak English? If you are committing to live here for a year and truly want to get the best experience, be able to shop in local markets, engage with the locals, go off the beaten track then knowing Khmer will be great for you. Many Cambodians of course do make the effort to learn and speak English so you can easily live without bothering to. However, don't get angry if people don't understand you or frustrated when you can't explain to a driver how to get somewhere or don't understand the price of something and think you are being cheated just because you don't speak the language and they don't speak English.

https://www.khmerlessons.com/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

bernipes wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:03 am Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new on that forum, and sorry if i'm asking something which is already in an other thread...

.. But is it okay if we just speak in english and want to go at Cambodia for 1 year stay?

Thanks a lot!!
Sure why not. As long as you don't want to be an English teacher. Just come and see for yourself.
bernipes
Tourist

Post by bernipes »

😅

Hard to say something after that.

One of my goal by coming in that forum is to write more in english also. So hope it will be not too much for you guys with my great language skills.

But yeah i understand what you mean. My apologies...
bernipes
Tourist

Post by bernipes »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:50 pm how about you try to learn the language? you certainly won't be moving here any time soon with all the restrictions so I suggest you use the time to learn to speak Khmer. Would anybody get by in your country if they didn't speak English? If you are committing to live here for a year and truly want to get the best experience, be able to shop in local markets, engage with the locals, go off the beaten track then knowing Khmer will be great for you. Many Cambodians of course do make the effort to learn and speak English so you can easily live without bothering to. However, don't get angry if people don't understand you or frustrated when you can't explain to a driver how to get somewhere or don't understand the price of something and think you are being cheated just because you don't speak the language and they don't speak English.

https://www.khmerlessons.com/
You are right, i'll check this khmerlessons.com.
Is it a complicated language to learn ?
Do you guys have some other websites and tips to learn khmer?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic