Coronavirus is Affecting Chinese Sex Workers Overseas

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Coronavirus is Affecting Chinese Sex Workers Overseas

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Chinese sex workers overseas are seeing a severe slump in business because of their nationality.
What do you think ? Is this discrimination or common sense ?

Chinese sex workers hiding their nationality amid coronavirus fears
By Yaron Steinbuch
February 6, 2020
Potential clients are avoiding Chinese sex workers like the plague in New Zealand amid the coronavirus outbreak – so the women are claiming to be Korean, Japanese or simply “Asian” in their online ads, according to a report.

“I don’t mention that I am Chinese anymore and I offer a big discount, but clients are avoiding us like we are the virus,” one Chinese woman in New Zealand told the New Zealand Herald.

The woman, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said she had edited her nationality to Asian in a couple of online sex directories.

But despite also slashing her rate by half to $90, she told the news outlet that business had fallen by more than 50 percent in the past two weeks.
“Business is way down and it’s never been this bad before,” said the sex worker.

Although she is a New Zealand resident who has not been back to China for the last eight years, she said clients saw her as “no different to someone who has just arrived from Wuhan,” the city where the deadly virus originated.

Catherine Healy, a sex workers’ rights activist at the New Zealand Prostitutes Collective, said these are “extremely worrying times for sex workers.”
“We are concerned about the ability for people to both avoid this virus and survive financially,” Healy told the Herald.
https://nypost.com/2020/02/06/chinese-s ... rus-fears/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus is Affecting Chinese Sex Workers Overseas

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 pm Chinese sex workers overseas are seeing a severe slump in business because of their nationality.
What do you think ? Is this discrimination or common sense ?

Chinese sex workers hiding their nationality amid coronavirus fears
By Yaron Steinbuch
February 6, 2020
Potential clients are avoiding Chinese sex workers like the plague in New Zealand amid the coronavirus outbreak – so the women are claiming to be Korean, Japanese or simply “Asian” in their online ads, according to a report.

“I don’t mention that I am Chinese anymore and I offer a big discount, but clients are avoiding us like we are the virus,” one Chinese woman in New Zealand told the New Zealand Herald.

The woman, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said she had edited her nationality to Asian in a couple of online sex directories.

But despite also slashing her rate by half to $90, she told the news outlet that business had fallen by more than 50 percent in the past two weeks.
“Business is way down and it’s never been this bad before,” said the sex worker.

Although she is a New Zealand resident who has not been back to China for the last eight years, she said clients saw her as “no different to someone who has just arrived from Wuhan,” the city where the deadly virus originated.

Catherine Healy, a sex workers’ rights activist at the New Zealand Prostitutes Collective, said these are “extremely worrying times for sex workers.”
“We are concerned about the ability for people to both avoid this virus and survive financially,” Healy told the Herald.
https://nypost.com/2020/02/06/chinese-s ... rus-fears/
"like the plague"... where was the sub editor on this one?

However, $90? 90 New Zealand dollars? That US$56. Who would of thought New Zealand would become as cheap as street 130?
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

What about the chinese customers? Do the sex workers refuse them?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The coronavirus pandemic is now affecting sex workers everywhere. Lockdowns and fear of social contact are deterring the clientele and leaving prostitutes without work. These women are often working under the radar and do not qualify for social security aid in the countries where this is available. Often they are also socially isolated due to the nature of their work.

Coronavirus: ‘I don’t want to infect my children,’ says Hong Kong sex worker
Sex workers are facing greater health risks and violence amid the pandemic – and their income is drying up
In countries like India, the situation is so dire that many are turning to unscrupulous money lenders just to buy food

Raquel Carvalho
Published: 6:00pm, 18 Apr, 2020

Cici, a mother of two young girls, has been a sex worker in Hong Kong for about four years. But she is now struggling to make ends meet in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

“I never experienced such poor business,” says Cici, who is in her 30s.
Since January when the first case of the novel coronavirus was discovered in Hong Kong, residents have embraced social distancing, with many staying in their homes and rarely venturing out. That has led to a dramatic drop in Cici’s daily wages.

“Previously, I could earn HK$1,000 a day, now I don’t even have one customer a day,” says Cici.

Every day now brings anxiety for Cici. Not only because of money concerns, but also because she knows she is at risk of contracting the disease. “Any customer could be infected and I always worry … I don’t want to infect my children,” says Cici, who works in a one-woman brothel in Kowloon.

Sex workers like Cici are not only highly exposed to the coronavirus, which has already infected more than two million people across the globe, but because of quarantine and lockdown measures they also have limited access to clinics and support groups. That leaves them more vulnerable, both to sexually transmitted diseases and exploitation.

Some have found that clients are increasingly violent, while others have resorted to riskier ways of soliciting customers due to the loss of income. In extreme cases, such as in India, sex workers are taking loans to buy food.

Full article: https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/people/a ... g-kong-sex
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic