VFS office closure

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

VFS office closure

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

VFS is temporarily closed due to the virus. Does anyone have any info on when it might reopen? I want to get on with a UK visa app and it's the only thing holding me up.

They must be losing loads of money, I would have thought they would not be keen on closure.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: VFS office closure

Post by pczz »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:53 am VFS is temporarily closed due to the virus. Does anyone have any info on when it might reopen? I want to get on with a UK visa app and it's the only thing holding me up.

They must be losing loads of money, I would have thought they would not be keen on closure.
What is the point of getting a uk visa when you can't get a flight? AFAIK you can only apply 3 months before and with lockdown extended a furhter 3 weeks, and no non-eu traveleers allowed into most parts of the EU it would be a waste of money I think
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

The UK isn't in the EU, it left earlier this year. There is no ban on anyone entering the UK from any country, it's completely open.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

What's VFS ?
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:19 pm The UK isn't in the EU, it left earlier this year. There is no ban on anyone entering the UK from any country, it's completely open.
Correct. Also, the UK doesn’t have any testing or quarantine requirements at the moment for incoming passengers.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:24 pm What's VFS ?
It's a company that the UK government uses as a middle man for its visas.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Just to confirm the office open.

However, it is still an absolute joke operation run by clown shoes. After taking a long time to get an appointment, a new thing, on this it actually used to be sort of okay, I was reintroduced to the ineptitude only possible from anything remotely connected to the British Embassy.

I turned up for my appointment this morning for a basic passport renewal, and told I couldn't take my laptop or phone into the office - no problem I thought, last time I was there a few years back I put it in the locker outside and got on with the other painful processes inside the office. Today? No dice! There is no longer a security dude who you can leave valuables with - even your phone. So if you go alone without anyone to hang around outside for you holding your phone, you're absolutely f8ked. What a company. If anyone knows who runs this shit show, I'd love to know. My complaints are met by the generic "VFS Global apologises ..."... "Yours Sincerely, VFS Global". Faceless. Clueless.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

last time i went i was allowed to take my phone inside just not allowed to use it. I am not sure what they expect you to do if you cannot take it in and also have no where to leave it
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

VFS are one of those hopelessly inept, utterly useless organisations that seem to survive like cockroaches. I fully believe that they are utilised as an actual bottle neck to slow things down deliberately.
They’ve been spreading their influence globally, and I’ll happily conclude that they do so with the aid of brown envelopes suitably stuffed.
whatcouldhappen
Tourist
United States of America

Post by whatcouldhappen »

Is there much benefit over sending the application yourself?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic