TRAPPED TEACHER

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: TRAPPED TEACHER

Post by sigmoid »

CAMBOTEACHER wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 pm Perhaps this topic has been covered but I am limited on the time I have with the internet.
Does anyone have any clue when schools will reopen?

I have been teaching here for 4 years and am now out of work.
Renewed my work permit and Visa a month and a half ago just in time to be kicked out due to Covid.

Out of cash. Trapped in village. Police now looking at me for suicide concerns and I am being followed everywhere by them.
I am a respected teacher here but in 6 weeks time I have become the village dog due to not having money. Loans and help have dried up.

I am not looking for money from anyone here, just some advice. Tutors needed?
Many folks are teaching online:

Resources for Teaching English Online
http://www.goodairlanguage.com

There is also proofreading and editing work if you have a good grasp of using MS Word. Check with translation companies in the region by e-mail. They need native speakers to check and correct the translations.

A few people here in Vietnam have started cooking and delivering meals.

As others have mentioned, getting to the capital for more opportunities is probably a good move if possible.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

If you do not have money or a reliable income why would you travel to a developing country? When I travel I always make certain I either have a sufficient income to live in the country or i have a year's salary saved up so if I do not have the income I am at least able to get home again. Currently, my financial situation is 1300usd a month and I have an emergency fund of 32000USD. If my income were to end for any reason and I did not have a job that paid sufficient money than I would return to the USA. I do not use my emergency fund for anything except emergencies. If I need emergency medical care, i need to return to the USA, I am offered a job elsewhere, or if I met a woman online in a foreign country and decided to go meet her I have money to do that. There have been times I needed to use my emergency fund. in 2015 I had a problem while I was on my way to Brazil where I had a layover in Mexico City. The person who processed my baggage did not return my immigration paper needed in order for me to board the plane. I missed the flight so had to purchase a replacement ticket. Luckily for me, I had an emergency fund in place and was able to continue to Brazil instead of having to find a cheap bus back to Houston TX. I would strongly suggest that people have emergency funds in place of at least 6 months' income so that if you have a problem you can at least return to the USA or wherever you are from.
I also tend to have other things in place. I only carry enough cash for what I am planning to do. I will only carry one of my credit cards with me. I have a MasterCard, and a visa card. if I know that the establishment I am going to accept credit cards than I will carry only enough cash to use for transportation, Despite I normally will walk everywhere. If I were to go to a bar downtown so I can chat with bargirls I generally do not want to walk home if I am intoxicated. I will usually carry enough cash to pay for transportation and 20.00 worth of drinks. If I were planning to take a girl out I would bring enough to pay for a guesthouse and what I anticipate she would ask for. I do not want her to know where I live just in case there was a problem. I do these things so that way if I were to be robbed the damage would be much less.
as for my debit cards, I will only bring them with me if I need to withdraw money. When I withdraw money I have certain atms I use. If I need 1000 I go to ABA. If I need less than 500 I go to Canadia. I would go to the closest ATM to withdraw my money and go back to my hotel room and put the money in my luggage. Then I would leave the ATM card in the other luggage. If I were to lose my atm card it will cause more stress for me than if I lost a credit card. I keep copies of my credit cards and debit cards on my pc. My bank will not cancel them if I tell them that they are damaged so I will be able to pay for lodging and airfare until the new cards arrive. My passport always stays home unless someone requests it. I keep a photo of it on my phone and if Police really need the original they can come with me so I can collect it. I will carry one of my voided passports with me so that I have a photo id. The oldest one I have has my Brazilian visa on it which is still valid.
The other debit card I have is my Unionpay card which I got from Bank of China. I usually will not carry it in Cambodia because I rarely use it. While I was working in China last year I got it so I can make it easier to access my income while overseas as China has restrictions on how much money I can take out. Plus if I need to take out larger amount of cash Chinese ATMs do not charge fees so I will make a special trip there to buy electronics or appliances
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Today's news out of the Ministry of Education makes it sound like schools won't be reopening any time soon.

That story, along with yesterday's story about 300 private schools going bankrupt and closing soon if things don't start back up sounds like we may soon have many teachers in this same situation....the no money part that is. Foreign and Khmer teachers both.

http://m.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/en ... 02-51.html

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50713130/f ... e-schools/

Last edited by lostjeremy on Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:24 pm
CAMBOTEACHER wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 pm Police now looking at me for suicide concerns and I am being followed everywhere by them.
Hmmmmmm.
Maybe he's got some seriously good weed and it's paranoia overload time.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:48 pm If you do not have money or a reliable income why would you travel to a developing country? When I travel I always make certain I either have a sufficient income to live in the country or i have a year's salary saved up so if I do not have the income I am at least able to get home again. Currently, my financial situation is 1300usd a month and I have an emergency fund of 32000USD. If my income were to end for any reason and I did not have a job that paid sufficient money than I would return to the USA. I do not use my emergency fund for anything except emergencies. If I need emergency medical care, i need to return to the USA, I am offered a job elsewhere, or if I met a woman online in a foreign country and decided to go meet her I have money to do that. There have been times I needed to use my emergency fund. in 2015 I had a problem while I was on my way to Brazil where I had a layover in Mexico City. The person who processed my baggage did not return my immigration paper needed in order for me to board the plane. I missed the flight so had to purchase a replacement ticket. Luckily for me, I had an emergency fund in place and was able to continue to Brazil instead of having to find a cheap bus back to Houston TX. I would strongly suggest that people have emergency funds in place of at least 6 months' income so that if you have a problem you can at least return to the USA or wherever you are from.
I also tend to have other things in place. I only carry enough cash for what I am planning to do. I will only carry one of my credit cards with me. I have a MasterCard, and a visa card. if I know that the establishment I am going to accept credit cards than I will carry only enough cash to use for transportation, Despite I normally will walk everywhere. If I were to go to a bar downtown so I can chat with bargirls I generally do not want to walk home if I am intoxicated. I will usually carry enough cash to pay for transportation and 20.00 worth of drinks. If I were planning to take a girl out I would bring enough to pay for a guesthouse and what I anticipate she would ask for. I do not want her to know where I live just in case there was a problem. I do these things so that way if I were to be robbed the damage would be much less.
as for my debit cards, I will only bring them with me if I need to withdraw money. When I withdraw money I have certain atms I use. If I need 1000 I go to ABA. If I need less than 500 I go to Canadia. I would go to the closest ATM to withdraw my money and go back to my hotel room and put the money in my luggage. Then I would leave the ATM card in the other luggage. If I were to lose my atm card it will cause more stress for me than if I lost a credit card. I keep copies of my credit cards and debit cards on my pc. My bank will not cancel them if I tell them that they are damaged so I will be able to pay for lodging and airfare until the new cards arrive. My passport always stays home unless someone requests it. I keep a photo of it on my phone and if Police really need the original they can come with me so I can collect it. I will carry one of my voided passports with me so that I have a photo id. The oldest one I have has my Brazilian visa on it which is still valid.
The other debit card I have is my Unionpay card which I got from Bank of China. I usually will not carry it in Cambodia because I rarely use it. While I was working in China last year I got it so I can make it easier to access my income while overseas as China has restrictions on how much money I can take out. Plus if I need to take out larger amount of cash Chinese ATMs do not charge fees so I will make a special trip there to buy electronics or appliances
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:00 pm
Brody wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:24 pm
CAMBOTEACHER wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 pm Police now looking at me for suicide concerns and I am being followed everywhere by them.
Hmmmmmm.
Maybe he's got some seriously good weed and it's paranoia overload time.
Maybe but if he's been in Cambodia for any length of time then he should know that:

A) The last thing Khmer police are concerned about is a suicidal westerner.

and

B) Those lazy fucks don't go around following anyone unless an arrest is imminent.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:29 pm
michael.stewart1 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:48 pm If you do not have money or a reliable income why would you travel to a developing country? When I travel I always make certain I either have a sufficient income to live in the country or i have a year's salary saved up so if I do not have the income I am at least able to get home again. Currently, my financial situation is 1300usd a month and I have an emergency fund of 32000USD. If my income were to end for any reason and I did not have a job that paid sufficient money than I would return to the USA. I do not use my emergency fund for anything except emergencies. If I need emergency medical care, i need to return to the USA, I am offered a job elsewhere, or if I met a woman online in a foreign country and decided to go meet her I have money to do that. There have been times I needed to use my emergency fund. in 2015 I had a problem while I was on my way to Brazil where I had a layover in Mexico City. The person who processed my baggage did not return my immigration paper needed in order for me to board the plane. I missed the flight so had to purchase a replacement ticket. Luckily for me, I had an emergency fund in place and was able to continue to Brazil instead of having to find a cheap bus back to Houston TX. I would strongly suggest that people have emergency funds in place of at least 6 months' income so that if you have a problem you can at least return to the USA or wherever you are from.
with a post like that, maybe it's speed, not weed.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

lostjeremy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:59 pm Today's news out of the Ministry of Education makes it sound like schools won't be reopening any time soon.

That story, along with yesterday's story about 300 private schools going bankrupt and closing soon if things don't start back up sounds like we may soon have many teachers in this same situation....the no money part that is. Foreign and Khmer teachers both.

http://m.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/en ... 02-51.html

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50713130/f ... e-schools/
Got told by my school.today, after the ministries anouncement, schòols will not be opening any time soon.
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

nemo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:28 pm Perhaps PP would be a better place to sort yourself out. Your Embassy should help you. You may also find some of your countrymen would assist by allowing you to run a tab for food and lodging.
Run a tab???

"Hi Larry, I've got no money, no job, no job prospects, I'm looking to leave the country, and the police think I'm suicidal. Can I get a sausage pizza on credit since we're both American?"
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

This michael.stewart1 really needs to get some human social contact, these long diatribes read like someone who has been locked up on his own for a serious length of time. Bizarre posting style.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic