Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by cautious colin »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:06 am April 16, 2020
“On some days, about a hundred passengers come to Cambodia. On others, there are about 60,” he said, adding some of the passengers only transit in Cambodia before flying to their respective destinations.

He noted all entering visitors have fulfilled the mandatory 14-day self-quarantine, as instructed by the government.
Who transits through Cambodia, I can't think of many worse countries to do so.

How is the self quarantine enforced? I can think of a car driving all the way to Koh Kong that may have not fulfilled it.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am
“On some days, about a hundred passengers come to Cambodia. On others, there are about 60,” he said, adding some of the passengers only transit in Cambodia before flying to their respective destinations.

He noted all entering visitors have fulfilled the mandatory 14-day self-quarantine, as instructed by the government.

How is the self quarantine enforced? I can think of a car driving all the way to Koh Kong that may have not fulfilled it.
Tbf, they did chase down the Chinese workers and have now quarantined them. But whether all Chinese businessmen automatically self-quarantine for 14 days on arrival when they visit Cambodia is another matter.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:56 am
cautious colin wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am

Tbf, they did chase down the Chinese workers and have now quarantined them. But whether all Chinese businessmen automatically self-quarantine for 14 days on arrival when they visit Cambodia is another matter.
Ok yeah, tbf one department did do their job correctly
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

16 April 2020: The Cambodian PM HE has announced that the travel ban in place between the provinces from 24:00 on 9 April 2020 to 24:00 on 16 April 2020, was lifted at 6am this morning, 16 April 2020.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

siliconlife wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:38 pm ^Good to have some doctors on the forum!
You don’t need to be a doctor, only need to be a user of logic. How can it be that cultures where people tend to live separately and interact with each other much less are recording a burst of infections (with only a small tip of the iceberg reported mind you), but SEA countries where people live in big families and do much more everyday interactions, eat every meal together, play in big groups, are not reporting mass cases? If you believe it’s because these cases don’t and didn’t exist since months ago, then you should also believe in voodoo magic medicine and other prejudices. Of course it happened already way back in Dec-Jan-Feb when air travel was not banned.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:32 pm
Just came back from a walk on Sisowath Quay. I didn't notice any Khmer actively trying to get out of my way.
However, within less than 10 minutes, I saw:
  • a barang walking around half-naked with only raggy shorts on
  • a barang blowing his nose on the pavement
  • a barang sitting on the bench spitting on the ground
Needless to say, none of the above wore a face mask.

Now, IF a Khmer wants to stay away from barang, one wonders where that comes from...

In the other hand, I'm agreed with all you said.

I am currently working on keep calm, focus on good things and waiting this crisis was behind... we are pretty lucky in Cambodia about that thing.

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

I've only heard one 'funeral song' in the last couple of months.
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Yeah... we’ll see it for ourselves if the virus starts to kill off the local population as those funeral tents/events will be pretty hard to miss. And given they stay up for a few days it will become blatantly obvious if and when it starts.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Permanent Mission to UN Makes Clarifications on Draft Law on the Management of the Nation in State of Emergency
AKP Phnom Penh, April 17, 2020 --

The Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the United Nations Office and other International Organisations at Geneva made some clarifications to the concerns of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights over the Draft Law on the Management of the Nation in State of Emergency (LMNSE).

The full text of the clarifications reads as follows:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia’s Lost Digital Opportunity in the COVID-19 Fight
New restrictions on online speech will be counterproductive for the coronavirus response – and damaging for the country in the long term.
By Marc Pinol
April 17, 2020

The new Cambodian Law on Governing the Country in a State of Emergency aimed at addressing the COVID-19 pandemic sharply contrasts with some earlier actions of Prime Minister HE, such as allowing a U.S. cruise ship to dock in Sihanoukville in February after it had been turned away from several other East Asian ports due to the fear of contagion. While the state of emergency will effectively mitigate some of the consequences of the health crisis, it also deals a blow to the country’s already weakened civil society and to the opportunities that digital tools offer. The new restrictions threaten to last indefinitely unless the right checks are put in place.

Full article: https://thediplomat.com/2020/04/cambodi ... -19-fight/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic