Kiwi looking to move to south east asia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Caleb1833
Tourist
New Zealand

Kiwi looking to move to south east asia

Post by Caleb1833 »

:stir:
Hi im Caleb aka Nathan in 35 years old
I been a chef over here in new zealand for over 10 years.
I have alot of experience in pet food (sales manager) aswell as breed reptiles.
Im looking at moving to thailand or cambodia to start and try a better life style i have 2 kids 16 month old boy and a 11 year old boy (11 year old lives in different city but visits in school holidays). I am also married.
I been having bit of a rough time over here in mew zealand for personal reasons and have had enough of the lifestyle and life i have over here so would love a fresh start.

I have been to s.e.a alot and really love it over there i spend most of time in thailand.

I would love to look for a job im hospitality or sales in Cambodia or thailand if anyone is looking or know of any job opportunities will prefer long term but short term can also be looked at.
I will also like to have a go at selling products in asia from new zealand and vice versa so any ideas would be very appreciated. Im hoping to be back in thailand and cambodia to look for employment next month (if covid19 allows us)

I would like to add i do not drink or do any type of drugs.
My main interests are animals and wildlife also gaming

Sorry about the about me but rather be straight forward
I hope everyone is having a great time and staying safe
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Kiwi looking to move to south east asia

Post by hanno »

I do not think that there will be any hospitality available any time soon. There are thousands of expatriates in the hotel business that have lost their jobs recently. With two kids, you might be better off staying in NZ for a while. Good private schools in Cambodia are very expensive.
Caleb1833
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Caleb1833 »

Yea I understand that i only have my baby with us at present in our care.
Rather leave this country but yeah timing not perfect
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Talk about bad timimg....
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Caleb,,,, Advice from a Kiwi / Oz with 16 plus years in Cambodia, Don't run away from your NZ problems , you will end up with more problems here than you know of. I suggest you change your lifestyle in NZ before you try Asia, and as told by others ,,, bad timing .

However, having said that, when this travel bans is over there would be nothing to stop you coming to Asia and picking up some ideas for starting a business . The world is yours if you have the imagination and ''get up and go ''

You can still have a great life in NZ if you head down to the South Island West coast or up North to the Hokianga and try to be self-sufficient on the land.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Caleb1833
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Caleb1833 »

Thanks duncan for advice its not running away from problems my problems are i need a good change and want to get out and work abroad (chef thing)
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Here's is the problem. Chef is a job that Cambodians will do for a few hundred dollars a month. Long hours too, it works out to about $2 an hour.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:34 pm Here's is the problem. Chef is a job that Cambodians will do for a few hundred dollars a month. Long hours too, it works out to about $2 an hour.
My Khmer Chef earned $3,000+. Just sayin'.....
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:50 pm
Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:34 pm Here's is the problem. Chef is a job that Cambodians will do for a few hundred dollars a month. Long hours too, it works out to about $2 an hour.
My Khmer Chef earned $3,000+. Just sayin'.....
Yea, a good chef can earn more than his boss. In-fact a good chef is the defacto boss, he is the one that determines whether the customers keep coming back or never come back . He is the one that determines the quality and price paid for the products that go into the meals and if you dont look after him and he walks out halfway through your busiest day ,,, your stuffed and it will be like having to start your business from scratch again.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kiwi looking to move to Southeast Asia

Post by sigmoid »

Well, if you are a chef with some management experience, then you might consider opening a restaurant. A number of foreigners have been successful in various countries in SEA with their own restaurants starting off small and then eventually expanding. Obviously, there are lot more factors involved than just getting hired for a position.

You also mention animals. How about a pet shop? Do kiwis (the bird) make good pets? :chin:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic