Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is my girlfriend being paranoid?

Post by Kammekor »

talltuktuk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:22 am It’s a great time to plant a garden
I'd wait for another three / four weeks unless you have loads and loads of cheap water.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:38 am
talltuktuk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:22 am It’s a great time to plant a garden
I'd wait for another three / four weeks unless you have loads and loads of cheap water.
We already started. This type of gardening doesn’t require much water. Seeds are cheap but you can also just cut the roots off market veggies and stick them in the dirt.

Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

I am also in Battambang at the moment.. it's business as usual although alot quieter. Every reply to your post seems to suggest the same thing stock up a bit 2 weeks supply of non perishables. I personally have 25 kgs of rice stored properly ( how to off Google) and pretty much every day I shop I buy 1 or 2 tins or packets and store them away. There doesn't seem to be a panic in Battambang at all it's calm as, most no all these market stalls have to stay open to survive here and I would like to think alot of goods are grown locally, alot of farms and farmers in Battambang growing meat and vegetables. She is not paranoid but? Take care Austman
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

PCZZ where are you in the UK?

I am in the UK and my local small Co-op have most things I need apart from rice, pasta and oven chips. On Friday I bought fresh fish, bacon, gammon joint, beef mince, salami, chicken pie, veg, tofu and of course beer and wine. I have also just taken delivery of 32 pints of Westons Old Rosie cider.
There are long queues at supermarkets but mostly this is not due to stock shortages or hoarding but to ensure social distancing of customers
camgolian
Expatriate
Mongolia

Post by camgolian »

Yep, my girlfriend 100% same same. I am in PP and about a month ago she tried to get me to buy 50 kilos of rice and 10 cases of beer..I did get the beer lol... :beer2: :beer2:
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I went on a recon of Angkor Market on National 6 in Siem Reap again today.
I was looking for inventory issues.
I saw nothing alarming...fresh breads were stocked..
The meat case was full..a large variety of fresh fish.
They had drained their live tanks and freezed the high end catches..
They had fresh salmon..
The veggie department was well stocked as was the rest of the aisle containing canned goods and bottles.
To my surprise, the Singapore brand of flour I usually buy was back to normal...they carry 5 types of flour.
I had not found bread flour the last 2 trips.
I moved onto dairy...the butter supply. was obviously running down...My New Zealand brand was 1/4th of what it was a few weeks ago...still a great selection of cheeses.
My biggest surprise was that the fresh milk was a NEW SHIPMENT....it was a brand they were out of last week...the use by date was more than 2 weeks...
The yogurts were full as well.
The staff was continuing its excellent service with safety measures in place.
We went at 10am...not a lot of customers and people were being civil.
I agree...a back up generator is not going to help if there is no fuel...
It kicks on if the Siem Reap power cuts out...I have only heard it a few times for a few minutes the past month.
I have 2 large propane bottles for cooking and the supplier around the corner appears to have inventory.
My landlord had a shipment of drinking water delivered...
The beautiful rain today sure was great to see...
It has been months since I saw rain here.
I would be gardening back in USA if I was there..
I used to start my tomatoes and chilis in my house and move them to the garden when the threat of freeze was over..
I know people are buying seeds in the USA at all time levels and home gardens are prevalent.
I brought some arugula seeds from USA and am looking for potting soil to start them..
Hang in there ...
Happy New Year...
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

Any markets still open?
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, far more than normal during the KNY period.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

chiltern wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:07 pm PCZZ where are you in the UK?

I am in the UK and my local small Co-op have most things I need apart from rice, pasta and oven chips. On Friday I bought fresh fish, bacon, gammon joint, beef mince, salami, chicken pie, veg, tofu and of course beer and wine. I have also just taken delivery of 32 pints of Westons Old Rosie cider.
There are long queues at supermarkets but mostly this is not due to stock shortages or hoarding but to ensure social distancing of customers
I was just in Aldi and there was a 30 minute queue but stocks were at levels I've not seen since long before lockdown. There was a full selection of herbs and spices which I've not seen there in about 18 months. Quite nice to stand outside in the sun, bring some tunes and the time flies. Try not to get distracted by the guy in front of you constantly picking his nose and rubbing his face, then touching the bollards.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I had the opposite problem with my other half trying to persuade her that a bit of stocking-up might be a good idea. I have been buying a bit extra of non-perishable stuff every time I go for a shop and we could now survive about 2 weeks without any further shopping. Bless her, when she did take action, she arrived home with a 50kg sack of rice across the back of her moto. We live 4 floors up with no elevator...
The only problem now is trying to stop her eating everything straight away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic