Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Duncan »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 pm If the virus kills off too many old people Weatherspoons will go skint, but on the other hand Weatherspoon pubs always seems to have loads of old men all sitting alone at tables ?

You know the rules on social distancing ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just announced
France extended lockdown to May 11th
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:26 pm just announced
France extended lockdown to May 11th
the-rest-the-world/outbreak-unidentifie ... ml#p413097
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I am hearing of a localised outbreak in BKK1. This is the screenshot I was sent.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Leader of the free world speaks his brain on Corona:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 60636.html
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 pm Leader of the free world speaks his brain on Corona:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 60636.html
His lack of knowledge about... Well, everything apart from banging Slavs and losing investors money never ceases to astound
up to you...
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

You forgot windmills, he knows lots about them :stir:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

A bit off-topic, but I don't want to start yet another Covid-19 thread.

Does anyone have any theories as to why cases in Cambodia still appear to be extremely low compared to other countries? Is it a case that the wave is still yet to hit or the fact that the virus doesn't survive well in hot climates?

It does baffle me that numbers are still relatively low. (long may that last however...)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:44 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:40 pm Yeah, it's popping up now, another 3 weeks. Hardly a surprise, maybe they can keep things under control until then. There's a lot of people running out of money and nothing from the government yet.

I can't see pubs opening on the 7th. All that shoulder to shoulder at the bar ordering drinks - that can't happen for a long while. Maybe table service only or beer gardens only. Maybe with the bar as a walk up at one end, order and pay and get a number, and collect at the other end. Nobody's going to want to get too close to anyone.
A question to keep you occupied.... I actually made the calculations today....

What would be the diameter of a round (standing) table, being able to serve 6 people at a time while adhering the 1,5 meter (5 ft?) social distancing rule in every direction?

And how many of those round table would you be able to 'squeeze' in a 10 x 10 meter room while adhering the same rule?

And finally.... How much profit would the establishment make in this siruation?
"What would be the diameter of a round (standing) table, being able to serve 6 people at a time while adhering the 1,5 meter (5 ft?) social distancing rule in every direction?"

6 around the table at the 12,2,4,6,8,and 10 o'clock position, x 1.5 metres between each would need a circumference of 9 metres (6 x 1,5m). 9 metres / pi 3.14 gives a diameter of 2.86 metres.

"And how many of those round table would you be able to 'squeeze' in a 10 x 10 meter room while adhering the same rule?"

As each table needs 2.86 metres plus 1.5 of separation, the first one will occupy a width of 4.36 metres, the second one will need a further 2.86 metres and that takes you to 7.22 metres. A third table would take you to over 10 metres and that's without the separation.

So a 10 metre wide room will take only 2 tables across.As the room is also 10 metres deep you get another 2 tables. So, my answer is 4 only. (I'm really sticking my neck out here to play your game!!)

"And finally.... How much profit would the establishment make in this situation?"

Depends on how many customers they get and the profit they make of each customer.

On the pub reopening situation, these are good for social distancing.

Also some of this.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

xandreu wrote:A bit off-topic, but I don't want to start yet another Covid-19 thread.

Does anyone have any theories as to why cases in Cambodia still appear to be extremely low compared to other countries? Is it a case that the wave is still yet to hit or the fact that the virus doesn't survive well in hot climates?

It does baffle me that numbers are still relatively low. (long may that last however...)
There are some inconclusive reports that the BCG vaccine (a tuberculosis vaccine which is broadly administered in countries like Korea, Japan and Cambodia), have a much lower mortality rate than in those where it isn't administered (Italy, US etc). An interesting theory which will require more evidence, but all I know is that there's no way in hell it hasn't been here for weeks and weeks already. All the potential victims with underlying health issues happen to be already dead...

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic