Mobile Providers

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HomelessABC
Tourist
United States of America

Mobile Providers

Post by HomelessABC »

Hi everyone,

I've been here for about a month using my Google Fi SIM.
I'd like to get another phone and data plan, so I don't risk losing the important phone.

Can someone tell me who the major mobile providers are?
And what's this I hear about needing a passport to buy a new SIM?

Thanks.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Mobile Providers

Post by pczz »

HomelessABC wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 pm Hi everyone,

I'd like to get another phone and data plan, so I don't risk losing the important phone.

Thanks.
You will only get prepay unless you have a lot of paperwork. You are supposed to give your passport for ID to get a SIM but there are ways round it.
Rather tha listing providers you should consider where you are going and how many calls you make. Calls between networks can be expensive, and they don't share masts yet so each provider has good and bad spots. This is why many cambodians (probably most) have dual sim phones and 2 cards. For what its worth i have used metfone and smart and for what i do I find metfone better. Other suppliers have allegedly fater speeds but I am notsure of coverage
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Thanks.
The major providers would be Cellcard, Metfone, and Smart.

I use Smart because many of the people I know use it. As @pczz mentioned, calls between different networks are more expensive.

I also use Cellcard. They used to have great 4G in PP, but currently it is only OK where I live.
Anyway, if one of my provider’s Internet fails or becomes too slow, I still have a backup.

Out in the sticks, Metfone used to have much better coverage than Smart. I am not sure as to the current state of affairs.

Smart (as do other providers) allows you to convert 50c, $1, $2 into a bonus balance which you can then use for Internet and intranetwork calls. For example, $1 equals $30.
This works out to only a couple of dollars a month for me.

SIM cards are available from many small phone shops. You are supposed to register the number using your passport (directly with the provider, so you don’t have to give your passport to the shop unless you want their assistance).

This will also help you to get your number back in case someone nicks your phone.
If you don’t register the number, you risk it being turned off at some point.

In the past many shops sold preregistered cards.

Many phones here are dual SIM.
Last edited by yongchi on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Thanks.
What kind of phone were you considering? What network provider suits your needs?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
HomelessABC
Tourist
United States of America

Post by HomelessABC »

That's some good information, everyone. Thanks.

Prepay is fine for me. And I don't make voice calls... yet.

I don't know how long I'll be in Cambodia. (But I'm starting to really like it... and need to figure out how to legally stay longer.)
Right now, I just need a phone for when I venture outside the apartment...
-Google Maps, Translate, Keep
-Grab (for some reason, Grab will only work when I'm on WiFi, not data)

So I'm looking for an Android phone (no fancy 500+ USD phone) for use in Phnom Penh (until I get more adventurous).
Cellcard and Smart seem to have the best 4G/LTE coverage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic