Gas bottles for stoves? (Propane refills in Phnom Penh)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Gas bottles for stoves? (Propane refills in Phnom Penh)

Post by pczz »

xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:50 pm I've just moved into a new apartment which has a gas stove that uses those large gas bottles which are kept under the sink.

I've heard they're one of the major causes of fires in PP and have been recommended by a Khmer friend not to use it and to buy an electric stove, but there isn't really room to keep an electric stove.

What do others suggest? Also, as it's currently empty, where do you refills from?

Thanks
If my experience of electric stoves is typical don't waste your money. Electric is expensive and variable so whether or not your oven orhob will reach temperature before the next millenium is always a bit of a gamble.
Gas varies in quality and how much heat it will produce so try and go on recommendation. Good gas gives a bright blue flame, bad gas is yello wor orange
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

pczz wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:36 am
xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:50 pm I've just moved into a new apartment which has a gas stove that uses those large gas bottles which are kept under the sink.

I've heard they're one of the major causes of fires in PP and have been recommended by a Khmer friend not to use it and to buy an electric stove, but there isn't really room to keep an electric stove.

What do others suggest? Also, as it's currently empty, where do you refills from?

Thanks
If my experience of electric stoves is typical don't waste your money. Electric is expensive and variable so whether or not your oven orhob will reach temperature before the next millenium is always a bit of a gamble.
Gas varies in quality and how much heat it will produce so try and go on recommendation. Good gas gives a bright blue flame, bad gas is yello wor orange
It's not the gas that does that, it's the mixture of gas and air ratio .

Think of it like this ,,,,, if your carb on your car is not adjusted properly and you are running on a mixture that is too rich,,, you will end up with
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:37 am

Thanks

Think of it like this ,,,,, if your carb on your car is not adjusted properly and you are running on a mixture that is too rich,,, you will end up with
Dont think so. Smae cooker, different gas suppliers. Even mains gas has fluctuations andthe bill reflects the heat producing ability of the gas. from our firedns at wiki
"Since natural gas meters measure volume and not energy content, a therm factor is used by natural gas companies to convert the volume of gas used to its heat equivalent, and thus calculate the actual energy use. The therm factor is usually expressed in units of therms per CCF. It will vary with the mix of hydrocarbons in the natural gas. Natural gas with a higher than average concentration of ethane, propane or butane will have a higher therm factor. Impurities, such as carbon dioxide or nitrogen, lower the therm factor.' same applies to propane. some supplier add some air to fill the bottle, like putting water in beer :-(
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

pczz wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:48 am

Thanks

Dont think so. Smae cooker, different gas suppliers. Even mains gas has fluctuations andthe bill reflects the heat producing ability of the gas. from our firedns at wiki
"Since natural gas meters measure volume and not energy content, a therm factor is used by natural gas companies to convert the volume of gas used to its heat equivalent, and thus calculate the actual energy use. The therm factor is usually expressed in units of therms per CCF. It will vary with the mix of hydrocarbons in the natural gas. Natural gas with a higher than average concentration of ethane, propane or butane will have a higher therm factor. Impurities, such as carbon dioxide or nitrogen, lower the therm factor.' same applies to propane. some supplier add some air to fill the bottle, like putting water in beer :-(
You are comparing Natural gas to LPG ,,, That's like comparing petrol to diesel . As for some suppliers putting air in the bottle,, total rubbish , it is not possible, as you would not be able to keep the LPG in a liquid state in the bottle.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:11 am
pczz wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:48 am

Thanks

You are comparing Natural gas to LPG ,,, That's like comparing petrol to diesel . As for some suppliers putting air in the bottle,, total rubbish , it is not possible, as you would not be able to keep the LPG in a liquid state in the bottle.
Well they do something. Some of the small bottles have orange flame and take forever to boil water, others are bright blue and work really fast. It cannot be the cooker as that is the same. Something is altering the colour of the flame and the heat output
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic