Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Privileged snowflakes begging for travel funds in SEA

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 am ...I find it bizarre that people will donate for other people to enjoy travelling and not save the money to fund their own experiences.
I find it bizarre people in first world countries with potable tap water will spend approximately 500x the price to buy bottled water. :shock:

There's no accounting for human stupidity.
You could be next.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:51 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 am ...I find it bizarre that people will donate for other people to enjoy travelling and not save the money to fund their own experiences.
I find it bizarre people in first world countries with potable tap water will spend approximately 500x the price to buy bottled water. :shock:

Peckham Spring - “ This time next year Rodders “
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:41 am Video on FB doing the rounds of a couple of barefooted hippies walking around a local market busking for money...women is carrying what appears to be a baby, dude is playing the accordian and singing. Can't link the video sorry, check.out the FB page "WTF Cambo"
https://m.facebook.com/groups/368123197 ... 3878043158
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

I am afraid a tittless wonder and a tattooed freak are not deserving of my money, any of it. BTW I am no expert but aren't tattoos expensive? Doesn't that prick have a couple of grand of wasted dough adorning him? Maybe I am being too harsh but I wish all these fuckers would just fuck off and die.
a couple of grand, not even close, a full arm sleeve can be $4000AU maybe his tatts were Crowdfunded?

notice no stretch earlobes...tsk tsk, step up dude
Even the ugly ones
Mr-Retardo
BANNED

Post by Mr-Retardo »

I really can't see why folks are complaining about this - ie. if you see a beggar, it's up to you to give money or just walk away, not like you need to ask what the money is for etc..
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Opinion piece by Filipino researcher Nash Tysmans.

Why are Westerners ‘begpacking’ in Southeast Asia?
| Publication date 14 August 2019 | 19:16 ICT
As I write this, I am contemplating the amount of money I will have to spend to apply for a visa to the US.

First, I need to set aside $200, or roughly 10,000 pesos, just to file my application. Before that, I will need to shell out another couple of thousand pesos to cover round-trip transportation fees – the ticket I need to show as proof that, indeed, I have no intention of coming to America to live there or, worse, steal precious jobs from Americans.

As an independent researcher focusing on conflict and legacies of resistance, I feel the irony of my current predicament.

I am slated to be in Hawaii in November to sit on a panel and discuss Gina Apostol’s Insurrecto. The book is an interrogation of Philippine-American history, and it raises precisely the question of who gets to tell our history for us.

In the academic communities outside of the Philippines, there is a hunger to hear about our stories in the margins, and some of the finest minds in Europe who have come to work here know that their research would not be possible without a strong local network of fellow practitioners. Yet, I am already convinced that perhaps I will need to defer this invitation. The costs are too much to bear.
For this reason, I reacted quite negatively to a question posed by Melbourne-based journalist Max Walden on Twitter: “Has anybody here been begpacking in Southeast Asia? Or are you Southeast Asian and have feelings about begpackers?”

[Mind you,] unlike my sorry Philippine passport that requires me to submit bank documents proving that I won’t go broke in Europe, these Western passport holders require no visas to travel to our countries, and yet have the gall to beg along with our poor — not to eke out a living, but to experience the luxury of travel.
To Walden, I said that begpacking insults us — not just the poor or the scholar with little capital in her pouch – but all Filipinos alike.
Nash Tysmans is a writer, teacher and community worker from the Philippines.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/opinion/w ... heast-asia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:51 am

Actually it's not all that surprising. When I lived in the east coast of NZ there were regular water filtration issues and the water was so heavily chlorinated you had to boil it to make it drinkable. A 24 pack of spring water was $10 from the supermarket so seemed a reasonable alternative.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Mr-Retardo wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:19 pm I really can't see why folks are complaining about this - ie. if you see a beggar, it's up to you to give money or just walk away, not like you need to ask what the money is for etc..
Exactly hasbeens badmoutbing never has beens.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:37 pm
Username Taken wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:23 pm Why can't they 'Get a Haircut and Get a Real Job'!

Or, sell a kidney. :evil:
sang that too my ex once when she asked me for money. Guess that is why she is now my ex.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic