Work Permit

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Work Permit

Post by SEAdude »

Hello CEO!

I have lived upon the KOW for almost 2.5 years and now I have to get my second EB yearly work visa which is prepared by a travel agent 'fixer'... I don't work, rather I live off my savings which is large enough that money is not a problem. Last year it was just a matter of paying the $350 to an agent to this all squared away. I was told by the agent that whenever I take a flight outside Cambodia that I may have to pay ~$100 for the Work Permit to the immigration officer at the airport. But that has not happened this year so I never got one, and now I am looking at renewal which I don't think should be a problem but I am wondering about the work permit stuff. Is this going to be a potential problem if I don't get one for this/last year?

Can someone shed some light on this?
Thanks in advance.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Work Permit

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

SEAdude wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:52 pm I was told by the agent that whenever I take a flight outside Cambodia that I may have to pay ~$100 for the Work Permit to the immigration officer at the airport.
That is a load of BS...Immigration do not check Work Permits of EB EOS holders entering/exiting Cambodia.
SEAdude wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:52 pm now I am looking at renewal which I don't think should be a problem but I am wondering about the work permit stuff. Is this going to be a potential problem if I don't get one for this/last year?
Technically you are meant to have a valid WP if you are staying on an EB EOS, and are meant to provide that WP as supporting documentation for renewals of an EB EOS...usually not required when using a visa agent though. The agent you used for your initial EB EOS obviously (illegally) produced a fake employment letter in order to obtain your first EB EOS so most likely they will be able to (illegally) facilitate a renewal for you.

As you are not working in Cambodia, you are not legally eligible for an EB EOS. If you are living off savings why did you not apply for the ER (Retirement) EOS, or the EG (General) EOS?

If you choose to continue to stay in Cambodia on an EB EOS without justification and a WP, be aware that you are actually doing so illegally. Whilst it is highly unlikely that you would be found out, be aware of the financial implications and possibility of deportation if found out. As they say in Cambodia - "up to you".
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

>As you are not working in Cambodia, you are not legally eligible for an EB EOS. If you are living off savings why did you not apply for the ER (Retirement) EOS, or the EG (General) EOS?

Because there are other hurdles there as well as I understand it. But perhaps I need to take a look at this again. I am also not 55...I am almost 50!

Thanks for the response as this is helpful.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SEAdude wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:31 pm >As you are not working in Cambodia, you are not legally eligible for an EB EOS. If you are living off savings why did you not apply for the ER (Retirement) EOS, or the EG (General) EOS?

Because there are other hurdles there as well as I understand it. But perhaps I need to take a look at this again. I am also not 55...I am almost 50!

Thanks for the response as this is helpful.
They have been flexible on retiremnt visas. i know people who are 50 who got them, but you may need to provide some evidence of the income. If you have a work permit and an EG where is your payslip and tax record. In the past, going back 5 years or so, a few long stayers on EB were asked for proof they had paid tax while working and then charged at the airport. Not sure if it still happens
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

pczz wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:27 pm In the past, going back 5 years or so, a few long stayers on EB were asked for proof they had paid tax while working and then charged at the airport. Not sure if it still happens
Charged at the airport?

Stop fomenting disinformation as a lame attempt to scare this guy, you tool.

So the General Department of Immigration is able to levy and collect taxes?

Do they moonlight as a part of the Department of Taxation?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I could be wrong, but, my understanding is that there is no personal income tax. Tax is payable by your employer, not the employee.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:27 pm
They have been flexible on retiremnt visas. i know people who are 50 who got them, but you may need to provide some evidence of the income.
Yep, possible for those under 55 to get ER EOS with relevant supporting documentation, youngest I know late 20's. Plenty of threads covering this.
pczz wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:27 pm If you have a work permit and an EG where is your payslip and tax record. In the past, going back 5 years or so, a few long stayers on EB were asked for proof they had paid tax while working and then charged at the airport. Not sure if it still happens
Whoever told you that was feeding you a bunch of BS! The Department of Immigration have nothing to do with WP's (Ministry of Labour & Vocational Training) or Taxes (General Department of Taxation). ..Not to mention, EB EOS's weren't even a thing 5 years ago.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic