Teaching English as a foreign language with a postgraduate certificate in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TeacherBelgian
Tourist

Teaching English as a foreign language with a postgraduate certificate in Cambodia?

Post by TeacherBelgian »

Hello everyone,

I'm a 24 year old student from Belgium. For quite a few years I have been toying with the idea of teaching English as a foreign language overseas in Asia. Some countries that have crossed my mind were: Philippines, China, Japan, Thailand, Cambodia.

The problem with most countries is that there is a minimum requirement of holding a bachelor's degree.
I fully understand that they want to get the best English teachers they can possibly get, but it also scares a lot of qualified teachers away.
I love teaching. I'm a very good public speaker. I'm also a good listener.
I do hold an associate's degree in paralegal studies and I hold a postgraduate certificate in strategic management and leadership. I don't hold a bachelor's degree and therefor, in most cases, I'm not even being given a chance to obtain a working visa despite my postgraduate certificate being higher than a bachelor's degree.

Some governments are so strict with the requirements that they fail to look at the applicants case-by-case.

I am currently looking into teaching in Cambodia.
Phnom Phen drew my attention.

I do not currently hold a TEFL certificate but I'm definitely planning on obtaining one. I will likely complete the level 5 certificate since I find that one to be the most qualitative. I will likely take the minimum of 168 hours that falls under the possibilities for this certificate.

I speak Dutch, English and French fluently. I also speak a bit of German.
During high school I studied Ancient-Greek and Latin.

I have a love for foreign cultures and their languages and cuisine.

Is it possible for someone with my qualifications to achieve a position in Cambodia that is generally considered to be a successful position?

I want to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle while being there.

For salary, I don't have crazy things in mind. I think I would be quite happy with 1300$ USD a month.

Any thoughts about whether to go for Thailand or Cambodia in my case?

Kind regards,
Vincent.
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Re: Teaching English as a foreign language with a postgraduate certificate in Cambodia?

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

Perhaps you know this, but in English we would usually say "Belgian Teacher."
TeacherBelgian
Tourist

Re: Teaching English as a foreign language with a postgraduate certificate in Cambodia?

Post by TeacherBelgian »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:28 am Perhaps you know this, but in English we would usually say "Belgian Teacher."
I know but on another forum I already used that name so I switched the word order so that I can more easily remind myself about what name I use on what site. Weird, I know but that's who I am lol.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

my partner has a degree and celta

you don't have a degree or celta

improvise
adapt or die
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

TeacherBelgian wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 amAny thoughts about whether to go for Thailand or Cambodia in my case?

Kind regards,
Vincent.
let him who has ear here
TeacherBelgian
Tourist

Post by TeacherBelgian »

fazur wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:17 pm
TeacherBelgian wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 amAny thoughts about whether to go for Thailand or Cambodia in my case?

Kind regards,
Vincent.
let him who has ear here
The saying goes : ''Let him who has ears hear".
Nice creative translation though :-)
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Sorry that nobody has replied to your question.
Obviously your timing is not good as borders and schools are closed.
I am not a teacher but I do know how things work here. I think you would not have too much problem in getting a job teaching English in Phnom Penh. You seem like an enthusiastic young fellow and enthusiasm always went a long way with me when I was hiring. There may well be a teacher shortage after the hysteria is over.

I would tend to recommend Cambodia in preference to Thailand. There are quite a few drawbacks to Thailand including visas, traffic, and pollution. Phnom Penh is not quite as bad for traffic although you could consider Siem Reap if you prefer a quieter place. Phnom Penh is the "big smoke" though and it would be easier to get a job there.

Good luck with your plans but for the time being stay put.

Oh and $1300 a month may be slightly optimistic but not totally out of the question.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

Being young will definitely help, though being a 'lover of foreign cuisine' won't.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

If the teaching situation is as it was before, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ya think we could refrain from "pile on the new guy"? He asked good questions.
up to you...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

TeacherBelgian wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm
fazur wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Kind regards,
Vincent.
let him who has ear here
The saying goes : ''Let him who has ears hear".
Nice creative translation though :-)
wooooooosh. joke about vincent and ear- singular. here-cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic