British Prime Minister admitted to hospital (Update: now in intensive care)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British prime minister in intensive care

Post by Doc67 »

God'sGift wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:29 pm
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:47 pm
My only knowledge of Raab was his appalling lack of empathy or concern for the family of the young lad killed by the wife of the American serviceman who later claimed diplomatic immunity and fled facing justice. They actually received a much more sympathetic personal hearing from Trump. Not someone I'd want in permanent charge of the country.
Who would be your choice of leader then?
Me
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: British Prime Minister admitted to hospital (Update: now in intensive care)

Post by Anchor Moy »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:03 pm
God'sGift wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:46 pm There will be one hell of a debate after this is all over about which is better, private or state health systems - both UK and US seem to have very high numbers of deaths.

Which system is better at coping now?
Germany, by a country mile.

Decentralised, independent budgets, capable of being managed, unlike the enormous hulking hopelessly mismanaged NHS. For the avoidance of doubt, I have no issues with the vast majority of clinical staff.

I have said before that when this is over and the endless gushing praise of the NHS by the media and politicians has stopped, it is going to be exposed as very second rate in comparison to it's European counterparts. And it's not just about budgets, it's about how and where they are deployed and mismanagement and inefficiency and wastage and corrupt PFI contracts (Thanks LABOUR).
I don't want to get into a political discussion, but I see that Boris' Conservative party has been in government for the past ten years and is therefore responsible for the NHS since 2010. Just pointing out the obvious. ;)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:41 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:03 pm
God'sGift wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:46 pm There will be one hell of a debate after this is all over about which is better, private or state health systems - both UK and US seem to have very high numbers of deaths.

Which system is better at coping now?
Germany, by a country mile.

Decentralised, independent budgets, capable of being managed, unlike the enormous hulking hopelessly mismanaged NHS. For the avoidance of doubt, I have no issues with the vast majority of clinical staff.

I have said before that when this is over and the endless gushing praise of the NHS by the media and politicians has stopped, it is going to be exposed as very second rate in comparison to it's European counterparts. And it's not just about budgets, it's about how and where they are deployed and mismanagement and inefficiency and wastage and corrupt PFI contracts (Thanks LABOUR).
I don't want to get into a political discussion, but I see that Boris' Conservative party has been in government for the past ten years and is therefore responsible for the NHS since 2010. Just pointing out the obvious. ;)
Sure, there is blood on all their hands. The biggest hurdle to making much needed improvements to the NHS is that it is a political sacred cow. Now politician or party can argue for a root and branch reorganisation without uproar and chants of privatisation by the back door, an insult to all the heroic hard working NHS staff etc etc. And this is just going to be worse when this is all over.

We should just get the Germans over and ask them what they would do, and then do it. Or, better still, get them to do it for us and we pay them.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Centre right gov'ts undermine public institutions in the hope that more and more people will opt to go private and thus redirect wealth into private companies.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic