UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 am What's that old saying,,,, Better the devil you know , than the devil you don't know .
Yes, Raab could be worse. the problem is none of our politicain on either side are really up to the job
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

truffledog wrote:so there is only a few people we need to milk and general acceptance will be high in such an extraordinary situation. Some of them may freely "donate" some other may be forced/expropropriated in those exeptional circumstances (in what way need to find out). Put that money (together with state funds) into a global fund managed by an independant body (which one, maybe a DEDICATED new one?) could be a solution for SOME (but sure not all) problems we may face globally. If the rich would donate only 10% of their wealth (which has shrunk a lot in recent days we have to remember) the fund would be HUGE and probably cover the economic costs of Corona. Very easy to write, probably a lot harder to accomplish.
Blame the rich and well off argument was made by a man called Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Millions of Khmer died to see his vision of equality come true. If big government is bad, how is the solution of an even bigger government better?

The rich are human, just like everyone else. For example, voters keep pushing governments to invest in green technology. The governments then make tax credits for investing in green technology. The rich then invest in green technology. The rich then get blamed for hiding their wealth from taxes. Government gets blamed for being corrupt. Voters are human too. People are illogical, at best, and easily swayed by emotional arguments.

If mass testing and treatment becomes available soon (and ultimately the vaccine), then life will return to normal. Most businesses are supposed to have three to six months of reserve capital for down times. Hopefully it will all be over.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Financial Times: UK government admits Covid-19 antibody tests don't work.

https://www.ft.com/content/f28e26a0-bf6 ... a618ca659d

Paywall
the government is working with nine companies that have developed coronavirus antibody tests, which screen for whether someone has recovered from the disease and is likely to be immune. The tests are being assessed by researchers at Oxford university — but each one has so far proven unreliable.

“Sadly, the tests we have looked at to date have not performed well,” wrote Professor John Bell, Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford university on Monday.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

pczz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:50 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:30 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:18 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:09 pm

I need a new slimline dishwasher for a rental apartment:
Miele - all German made, the best - £700;
Bosch - German but made in USA so ok - £400;
Electrolux - Swedish firm and Italian made - £350;
Chinese crap from Curry's - £190.

Sometimes making a stand is expensive.
Dilemma
Forget Bosch if its made in USA - they are under my boycott til they get ris of the gingerbread man. Will not support totalitarian dictatorships
Forget Currys, they supported brexit
I acually like their stuff, never had any go bang
tenants always break whatever yu give them so waste of time buying quality . save the environemnt and tell em to lick the plates clean :-)
And to make it worse (for you), Bosch are built in North Carolina, a Trump supporting state.

Miele is good for home, not tenants. Curry's is China so that's a big no no. I think Electrolux or Bosch, and for the little bit extra, I'll go for the Bosch. They are good tenant's and been there for years. They'll appreciate the gesture.
Can tell you are rich :-) I would buy the cheapest thing that does the job.I like electrolux. they also used to candy i think which was a cheap brand in comet years ago. Not good to look at but works. Its a big problem after brexit. no more cheap foreign nannies and cleaners. Everyone will have to buy a dishwasher :-)
What's rich? What did I do to earn that monika? (It sounds pejorative)

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

John Ruskin
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Michael Gove is now self isolating.

At this rate there will be nobody left.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

UK Daily Death toll as of 7th April

Running total 6,227

It took 17 days for the death toll to pass 200

It took 17 more days for the death toll to pass 6000.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am
Ok so lets look at it from another angle
If you are Cambodian and Huns sen gets the virus do you wish him well or hope he dies? is it acceptable to wish him to die?
If you are North Korean and Kim sen gets the virus do you wish him well or hope he dies? is it acceptable to wish him to die?
Icould go on but I am sure you get the idea. If someone is doing you and the ones you lcare for real harm, then I feel that you have the right notto wich them a speedy recovery, far from it.
With regards to yourother points you are assuming this is political. it is not, directly. he is the most deceitful politician of any party that heas ever graced the british government. he has zero interest in anythng but his own advancement. he is not interested in what is good for the country, just what is good for him. I object to him, his behaviour and his incompetent bungling. What party he belongs to is irrelevant
[/quote]

Firstly, so that I am clear, if either of your named leaders were to get sick, I wouldn't wish them dead. They may not be perfect, but they are human beings. Granted, perhaps with morals that we don't all agree with, but I honestly do not wish them dead.

HE dies. What's the alternative? HE 2.0

Kim dies. What's the alternative? Kim 3.0 (or is it 4.0, I can't remember.)

Boris, nor any other party leader has ever done something personal to you or I. He's never sat there and thought, "you know what, I fucking despise that Yerg/pczz guy, and I want to go after him. No-one else, just him". Politicians and leaders make decisions, (with I guess some kind of political consensus). Sometimes, those decisions don't suit everybody, but will generally impact on the rule of 80/20. I've never complained about various government's decisions over the last 30+ years, I've just got on with it the best way I can. That included leaving the country to work elsewhere, because I didn't agree with things in the UK at the time. I didn't blame anyone, I just made the best decisions I could for me and my family at that time. Do I blame any government for the collapse of my pension company many moons ago? No, because it wasn't their fault. Was I happy that I had to effectively start all over again? No, and again it wasn't the government's or any politicians fault.

You call Johnson deceitful. Show me a politician, and I will show you deceit personified. Show me a politician, and I will probably be able to show you someone that is less interested in their country and has their own interests at heart. I object to every single politician who is incompetent, bungling and, well, a politician. But you know what? We have them, we're likely to always have them. The great news for you is that there will always be someone else to blame except yourself.

I try not to make assumptions, PC. You rightly said that my other points assumed a political reference. And you said they weren't, directly, political. If that wasn't the most political answer ever, I'm only glad I didn't take a sip of my schooner beforehand, otherwise I'd have spat it all over my screen.

I don't hate Boris, and I certainly don't love him. But on this one, I hope he makes a full recovery, and is able to see the birth of his impending child, and doesn't potentially leave a child without a father.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 pm UK Daily Death toll as of 7th April

Running total 6,227

It took 17 days for the death toll to pass 200

It took 17 more days for the death toll to pass 6000.
Doc, the next two weeks are likely to be carnage in the UK, when it comes to the numbers. An Italian or Spanish surge is projected, and that is hugely worrying. 17 days more to reach what? The mind boggles.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

An exponential curve is the scariest thing ever introduced onto a finite planet.
it doesn't matter what it is.
- world population, mindless consumption of crap, obesity rates and unnatural living, temperature rises, natural catastrophes, destruction of nature, novel corona-virus outbreaks and other pandemics- and the death tolls of all of these.
But all this has long been foretold by science with very little effect
Can anything slow the spinning top, the whirling wind, this lemming rush...?
Spoiler:
I doubt it. Get used to more, and more varied kinds of this type of catastrophe
sorry to be gloomy
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:22 am
pczz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am
Ok so lets look at it from another angle
If you are Cambodian and Huns sen gets the virus do you wish him well or hope he dies? is it acceptable to wish him to die?
If you are North Korean and Kim sen gets the virus do you wish him well or hope he dies? is it acceptable to wish him to die?
Icould go on but I am sure you get the idea. If someone is doing you and the ones you lcare for real harm, then I feel that you have the right notto wich them a speedy recovery, far from it.
With regards to yourother points you are assuming this is political. it is not, directly. he is the most deceitful politician of any party that heas ever graced the british government. he has zero interest in anythng but his own advancement. he is not interested in what is good for the country, just what is good for him. I object to him, his behaviour and his incompetent bungling. What party he belongs to is irrelevant
Firstly, so that I am clear, if either of your named leaders were to get sick, I wouldn't wish them dead. They may not be perfect, but they are human beings. Granted, perhaps with morals that we don't all agree with, but I honestly do not wish them dead.

HE dies. What's the alternative? HE 2.0

Kim dies. What's the alternative? Kim 3.0 (or is it 4.0, I can't remember.)

Boris, nor any other party leader has ever done something personal to you or I. He's never sat there and thought, "you know what, I fucking despise that Yerg/pczz guy, and I want to go after him. No-one else, just him". Politicians and leaders make decisions, (with I guess some kind of political consensus). Sometimes, those decisions don't suit everybody, but will generally impact on the rule of 80/20. I've never complained about various government's decisions over the last 30+ years, I've just got on with it the best way I can. That included leaving the country to work elsewhere, because I didn't agree with things in the UK at the time. I didn't blame anyone, I just made the best decisions I could for me and my family at that time. Do I blame any government for the collapse of my pension company many moons ago? No, because it wasn't their fault. Was I happy that I had to effectively start all over again? No, and again it wasn't the government's or any politicians fault.

You call Johnson deceitful. Show me a politician, and I will show you deceit personified. Show me a politician, and I will probably be able to show you someone that is less interested in their country and has their own interests at heart. I object to every single politician who is incompetent, bungling and, well, a politician. But you know what? We have them, we're likely to always have them. The great news for you is that there will always be someone else to blame except yourself.

I try not to make assumptions, PC. You rightly said that my other points assumed a political reference. And you said they weren't, directly, political. If that wasn't the most political answer ever, I'm only glad I didn't take a sip of my schooner beforehand, otherwise I'd have spat it all over my screen.

I don't hate Boris, and I certainly don't love him. But on this one, I hope he makes a full recovery, and is able to see the birth of his impending child, and doesn't potentially leave a child without a father.
[/quote]
Well we will have to agree to differ on this subject
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic