Working from Home - the funny side

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Working from Home - the funny side

Post by rozzieoz »

There are some hilarious memes and videos going around about working from home.
I thought it would be good to separate them from ''Oh, you Internet."

I've been working from home for years and really enjoy it, but it certainly isn't for everyone. It takes HUGE discipline to be productive.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Working from Home - the funny side

Post by rozzieoz »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I posted that on Oh, You Internet. :stir:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There could be some mileage in this thread all the same...

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Although not specifically a working from home meme, I believe the scenario applicable.

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

This is an article I wrote for my blog today and thought I would share:

I’ve worked from home for more than twenty-five years in many roles, including scrapbooking teacher, event planner and CV writer.
Many people have suddenly found themselves in this situation and are realising it’s not always easier than working at the office.
The key is to recreate the office ‘vibe’ as much as possible, while at home.

MY TOP TIPS FOR WORKING FROM HOME

1 - FOCUS ON THE POSITIVES:
You still have your job when many people are out of work. That is something to be grateful for.
It’s not easy to get motivated when you are feeling lonely and isolated but there are a lot of positive aspects to the situation – for example, we don’t have to battle morning traffic!

2 - DESIGNATED SPACE:
Make sure you have somewhere to work.
Don’t make this space in your bedroom, if you can possibly help it. Your bedroom should be a sanctuary.
Make your space somewhere you want to be - When you work, that’s where you sit, otherwise the entire house can end up looking and feeling like work. Even if it’s just a tiny desk in the corner, make it yours with photos on the wall, your favourite mug, music or whatever else you need to feel productive.

It's important to be organised in this space - Don’t spread work all over the house, keep it in one place. It’s your work, not the family’s.
It’s a lot easier to compartmentalise work and home life when the two are in separate places.

3 - GET INTO A ROUTINE FAST:
It seems like every part of our lives has changed - but at least you have the stability of a working routine. Establish the routine quickly, it will be something to focus on, rather than any negatives. Your routine may look crazy to other people, for example I am often working at 3am, but it works for me.
Make yours work for you.

4 - SET A START AND FINISH TIME:
Don’t feel you have to kill yourself just because you are at home.
It’s very easy to go to work and finish up some tasks when work is just across the hallway.
You need to be able to separate your work and home life otherwise you will get drained very quickly. We don’t know how long this situation will last, so we must pace ourselves for the long haul.

5 - GET DRESSED:
For many people, getting dressed in ‘work clothes’ helps them to feel more professional and focused. Brush your hair and teeth and act like you are going to be out and about with people.
Because in your mind, that’s exactly where you will be.
Keep in contact with colleagues regularly but keep it appropriate.
If you are meeting via webcam, wear pants! Don’t be the subject of the next hilarious Facebook video.

6 - STAY PROFESSIONAL:
Your clients don’t need to know you are at home.
Behave exactly the same on the phone and emails as you would if you were at work. For example - make sure the washing machine isn’t clunking in the background, don’t do the dishes while you talk on the phone – keep work tasks at your designated workspace.

7 - ENTER AND LEAVE THE OFFICE:
At the end of your workday, it’s crucial to 'switch off' and be at home.
When you are finished for the day, whenever that is, leave the home office.
It may mean covering a table with a sheet, closing a door or even just shutting down a laptop.
Do something to signify that work is finished and then in your mind, leave work at your workstation.

8 - BE KIND TO YOURSELF:
This is the most important piece of advice I can provide right now.
This is not a normal situation - we didn’t choose this and it’s easy to feel things are out of control.
If you need to rest, rest. If you need a break, take one. You don’t have to be a superhero, you just have to manage as best you can. This won’t last forever and soon you’ll be back at the office.

Sending you all love and support from my home workspace!

Roz
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

For me it works to work at home in the morning until 11-12. After that I have lunch, relax and do some sports. In the afternoon I start work again, but outside my home, in a coffeeshop or similar.
The latter is what I miss during these days. Constantly working at home isn’t for me I found out.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

What is this ''work '' thing everyone is talking about ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I believe it is shit that is now done on the internet that you used to do in an office or classroom. I have some doubts.

Johnny
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

Great tips Roz. Learning how to “switch off” will do wonders for your sanity and productivity.
"You can't teach the beast. It's either in you or it isn't. You can't just go to the store and buy a six-pack of beast. It don't work like that." — Kevin Garnett
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic