A personal thank you to Cambodia & it’s people

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

A personal thank you to Cambodia & it’s people

Post by Johno35 »

A personal thank you to Cambodia and its people! Thank you for allowing me to call this country my home.

“Small Country, Big Heart” is the slogan being used by the Prime Minister of Cambodia during the COVID-19 crisis. Those four words summarise exactly my feelings about Cambodia & I wanted to do a little post explaining why there is no where I would rather be.

As the world as we know temporary takes a break, the true colors of countries & there people continue to shine around the globe. New videos surface daily of Australians displaying acts of racism towards Asians for “bringing COVID to Australia” despite those ‘Asians’ being Aussie themselves. We see countries around the world urging foreigners visitors or students to leave as soon as possible. Australia again leading the narrow mindedness on this topic asking tourists & international students to get out of the country immediately - with the chances of desperate campaigns for their return after this crisis a given.

Let me turn the spotlight to Cambodia. From the moment the crisis developed in Cambodia (and globally) the Cambodian government made it clear that all foreigners would be treated for free & in the same way as what is extended to any local Cambodia. In addition to that the government has recently removed all overstay charges for tourist visas ensuring that those ‘stuck’ or wishing to stay in Cambodia can do so without any legal of financial penalty until commercial flights resume.

Turning to the sore point for me - treatment of foreigners. As global fear turns sour and Asians face more and more stigma and abuse. Cambodians continue to welcome foreigners with open arms, despite as many as 75% of local cases being foreigners or caused by direct contact with a foreigner. Yes there is some increased anxiety about foreigners not wearing masks (rightfully so), but we as foreigners to this land continue to be able to enjoy the freedom of living here without fear or judgement.

Is Cambodia a perfect country, of course not. But which country is?

For me & Charles right now, there is no where we would rather be. We can hold hands. We can be here legally. And we can continue to enjoy the hospitality of the incredible Cambodian people.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: A personal thank you to Cambodia & it’s people

Post by Username Taken »

Really??? Where are these videos that surface daily of racist Australians?
Bloody idiot!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic