We're moving to Cambodia ... now what?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: We're moving to Cambodia ... now what?

Post by Anchor Moy »

@PR. OP said they like an urban lifestyle, and that is definitely not Kep. They want citylife.
We like the urban lifestyle, but she will come visit ahead of time for a week to see the schools and housing options as well as get the lay of the land.
programmer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by programmer »

Apollo91881 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:27 pm Hello,

I accepted a US expat role in Cambodia and expect to be in country within a month.
If you don't mind me asking about your work, I'm curious if the employer gave you a US wage or a Cambodian expat wage for deciding to move out there.

In my industry there are remote work opportunities so this affects me less. But there are also some expat/relocation specific opportunities as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:41 pm @PR. OP said they like an urban lifestyle, and that is definitely not Kep. They want citylife.
We like the urban lifestyle, but she will come visit ahead of time for a week to see the schools and housing options as well as get the lay of the land.
:thumb: my bad LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

WildA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:35 am Open an account with RIA while you are in the States so you can transfer into your ABA account fromthe uS. Only way to get money there other than the ATM.
Whenever i sent money to cambodia, i used Western Union but a friend told me about RIA.. has anyone used and is it ok?? any issues?? I never heard of RIA before.. was googling but asking here as well

Someone i know specifically asked for RIA..which threw me off
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I been here 9 years , after hearing of everybody sending theirself money , I checked around and. ...
The cheapest way to get money here is $14 per $1000 —- *$9 for ABA and $5 for Bank of America .
Wire costs a lot more on both ends .. .. western union has to be the most exorbitant .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Since this thread has been bumped up... Did you move to Cambodia OP ?
OP said in March that he expected to move to Cambodia with his family within a month, but the situation has changed a lot since then.

Just curious to know what happened. Any follow-up ?
Cheers :popcorn:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

WildA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:35 am Open an account with RIA while you are in the States so you can transfer into your ABA account fromthe uS. Only way to get money there other than the ATM.
Not correct. You can use transferwise. Although Cambodia is not listed on their website it is available, i phoned ans checked.
Also you should be able to send directly from US banks. Cambodia is on a greylist for money laundering and some banks may be blacklisted so check eith your us bank. I have multipls bank accountin Uk and about half will send and recieve to cambodia and half will not. Personally i prefer ACLEDA over ABA, but there is not much in it.
Also put your money in microfinance like Prasac and get 8% interest. banks will susullay do up to 4 %.
As for doctors, I use central hospital on st 54 near Golden Sorya Mall . They also have a good french trained paediatrician. Avoif the young khmer doctor, he is useless.
Dentist I always useelegance dental clinic 012686 000. Owner is a foreign trained professor at the university. clean and cheap and good quality
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Reading this bumped thread from just a month ago is like looking back at a different era. Talk of moving to Cambodia like it's as easy as hopping on a plane. Asking about schools like they're actually open. Asking about freely wandering around looking at apartments with not even a hint of an impending lock-down.

It really does bring home to you just how much the world has changed in just one single, solitary month.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

pczz wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:15 pm
Not correct. You can use transferwise. Although Cambodia is not listed on their website it is available, i phoned ans checked.
Also you should be able to send directly from US banks. Cambodia is on a greylist for money laundering and some banks may be blacklisted so check eith your us bank. I have multipls bank accountin Uk and about half will send and recieve to cambodia and half will not. Personally i prefer ACLEDA over ABA, but there is not much in it.
Also put your money in microfinance like Prasac and get 8% interest. banks will susullay do up to 4 %.
As for doctors, I use central hospital on st 54 near Golden Sorya Mall . They also have a good french trained paediatrician. Avoif the young khmer doctor, he is useless.
Dentist I always useelegance dental clinic 012686 000. Owner is a foreign trained professor at the university. clean and cheap and good quality
Transferwise wont do dollar to dollar transfers. I phoned and checked. My banks will do wire transfers but I have to be there in the USA to initiate. WU sucks so I eat an extra $30 month or so in ATM fees over what I would pay to RIA. Its more of the principle than anyhting else so Im not going to jump through hoops to save $30.

What helps is getting your ATM limits increased, I think I did 5K per day on my overseas withdrawel card. Less trips to the bank

8% sounds great, but Im surely not going to put 100 large in any foreign bank outside Switz, Panama, the US or the Caymans.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

xandreu wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pm Reading this bumped thread from just a month ago is like looking back at a different era. Talk of moving to Cambodia like it's as easy as hopping on a plane. Asking about schools like they're actually open. Asking about freely wandering around looking at apartments with not even a hint of an impending lock-down.

It really does bring home to you just how much the world has changed in just one single, solitary month.
Life goes on, tomorrow will be different.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic