Vietnam; No penalties for overstaying during national social distancing

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Vietnam; No penalties for overstaying during national social distancing

Post by phuketrichard »

the first country to get it right!!! good on ya Vietnam
HÀ NỘI — The Department of Immigration is shutting offices for the foreseeable future, but foreigners needing visa renewals should not be overly concerned.

As the nation ‘stays at home’ to avoid the spread of COVID-19, the department office will close from April 2 until further notice, a source from the department told Việt Nam News.

However, if a visa belonging to any foreigner staying in Việt Nam right now expires while their offices are closed, the holder will not be penalised.

Instead, visas can be renewed when the office reopens.
https://vietnamnews.vn/society/674512/n ... ncing.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Vietnam; No penalties for overstaying during national social distancing

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Okay I've never been to Vietnam, my trip this month was obviously cancelled, however providing I like the place on first inspection I'm coming round to the idea of not renewing my Annual Non O extension in 2021 in favour of 2 Thai tourist visas + extensions a year, with time spent in Vietnam during each trip.

This crisis demonstrates Vietnam is far more forward thinking and dare I say it welcoming than the incompetent unwelcoming/ungrateful dinasaurs running the show in Thailand.

Your never too old for a change.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:26 am Okay I've never been to Vietnam, my trip this month was obviously cancelled, however providing I like the place on first inspection I'm coming round to the idea of not renewing my Annual Non O extension in 2021 in favour of 2 Thai tourist visas + extensions a year, with time spent in Vietnam during each trip.

This crisis demonstrates Vietnam is far more forward thinking and dare I say it welcoming than the incompetent unwelcoming/ungrateful dinasaurs running the show in Thailand.

Your never too old for a change.

I will say, first, I like the Thai people, a lot. I would prefer to stay in Thailand. I will end up visiting quite a bit. But you've reached my stage of disgust. I can kiss ass, put on the klieg light smile and kao-tow to immigration officers with the best of them. But I can't take the constant disrespect any more.

Simply put, they don't want us westerners any more. As two friends said separately in recent discussions, they want us out and to let the Chinese roll in and take over the slaves. I will feel sorry for the poor Thai folks who have nothing to look forward to, unless they take the next dangerous step to change their lives.

Welcome to the disaffected.

As for Vietnam, I'm so impressed by what they've done to grapple with the virus infection. And I've always felt heartily welcomed in VN. I've also grown fonder of the place since I've been in air-polluted, high-priced, hassle-heavy Bangkok since last August. Anyway, Cowboy, give it a test. Most people like it on first visit. Living there has its ups and downs, but nothing like the current Thailand where I feel like I am wearing a tightening harness, just like the old working life. No thanks. I'm old and suppose to be enjoying a fairly stress-free life.

Last, I haven't ruled out Cambodia but that's for later, maybe.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

cambodia and vietnam are smart

thailand is arrogant

boycott them

i sent to over 300 FB groups about the hatred of foreigners
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

fazur wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:22 pm cambodia and vietnam are smart

thailand is arrogant

boycott them
I've never had any problems with regular Thai people, but Thai officials and politicians are pond scum plain and simple. Arrogant, as you say, and neither brains nor sense. That was my impression when I first came to Thailand and hasn't changed over 15+ years of first visiting and then living in Thailand.

The COVID-19 crisis hasn't changed that either. As with any crisis, it brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.

I'd never boycott Thailand, I simply like the country and its people more than I despise its "elites". With a little bit of luck, the economic fallout from this crisis will finally be enough for the Thais to revolt. Fingers crossed.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

yeah sorry i meant officials wrt this an dother paperwork for falang

pity because beautiful country and mostly cool people
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic