The Inevitable and forthcoming Lock-Down

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Inevitable and forthcoming Lock-Down

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

@clutchcargo

Got it, thanks for the warning, I didn't mean to disrespect CEO laws, that's why I asked to stop me in case it didn't fit, thanks for doing so.
GreatGrizzlyTed
Tourist

Post by GreatGrizzlyTed »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:21 pm
404FreedomNotFound wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:43 pm anyone knows of any loophole that can be exploited or has any advice on how to best deal with a potential lockdown in phnom penh?
Again, finding ways to get around laws is not condoned here.

I don't know whether you are a troll or a sock or otherwise but take this as a warning that if you continue with this line, you will not last in this community.

Wait a minute. The world loophole means he's asking how to COMPLY with the law but in a way that is least disruptive to his personal interests. That's perfectly legal.

Let's drop this over-modding, sanctimonious nonsense that "finding ways to get around laws is not condoned here." This forum is full of advice on how to skirt Cambodian law.

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:21 pm
There are still plenty of dodgy agents who will create a fake employment letter in order to illegally obtain a 1 yr EB EOS for you though.
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 am just forge some shit with photoshop.
that is what most do.
they will be baffled and not want to lose face- they will want the money- no worries.
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 am
As you say, the odds are perhaps low that you won't get pulled over by the cops, and even if you do, then tea money is the fixer.
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:25 pm I'm not 100% sure but I seem remember Sharky was giving out empty beer cans to smokers instead of ashtrays a few years ago? Supposedly to satisfy the new law...
Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 am You don't need a degree to teach in Cambodia or Laos. While some schools may ask for a degree it is simply a matter of presenting them with a piece of paper - no checks. So it could be fake.
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am Yes, you are correct, but as anyone who knows what Sangkat level bureacracy is like, a little tea money makes most things possible.

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:38 am
Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:18 am
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:58 am I just don't know what level risk there is if I attempt to bring too much in my checked baggage and whether it's wise to declare it or not. And if I do declare it what happens?
Why don't you research the relevant Cambodian law? :hattip:
(and I don't mean on CEO)
Yeah thanks..I did have a quick look earlier and according to the customs declaration form, you don't have to declare personal use items but you do commercial goods. I'll have to have another look but I think a limit of $300 was mentioned elsewhere.

So technically I would be pushing explaining its for personal use if I bring too much. I could say that they are gifts for friends I suppose.. but they might not believe. The form says there are fines for false declarations etc.
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Post by Ricky Shaw »

My guess low number of infected is low number of people being tested.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Ricky Shaw wrote:My guess low number of infected is low number of people being tested.
Possibly. But that doesn’t explain why we aren’t hearing about large numbers of seriously sick people going to the hospitals, which we would have if the infection has been spreading rapidly over the last few weeks. It seems eerily quiet on the medical front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:15 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:27 pm Head for the provinces.
whities showing up unannounced might find get more of a welcome than they expected
i'm guessing a lot of cambodians have already left the city for the province, so things will be stretched there
and any govt efforts to keep things on the rails will probably be focused on phnom penh
or somewhere around takmao
I live in the boonies, and you're
guessing
and writing
might

Nothing is stretched here now. Prices are on the rise abit, but that's it. If you need 150 kg of rice it's delivered to your door tomorrow. Haven't experience any racism so far, but I've been here for ten years now, so that might weigh in.
There was one photo of a villagers putting up a sigh 'No foreigner', but what they actually meant is 'no strangers' AFAIK.

Where I live it's life like normal, people simply don't get aroused too much by it, because there's nothing to be aroused of as per now. Visited both the provincial hospital and the health center yesterday and business as usual.

If you want to go to to the boonies, I know a (kind of) nice house close to mine for about 100$ a month. Power and water available. Better place to sit it out than Phnom Penh if shit hits the fan in my opinion, if you can live with the remoteness.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 pm
Kammekor wrote:Head for the provinces. The power of the central government isn't as strong there, and life in the outskirts of Cambodia is slow and boring as always. If Phnom Penh goes in lock down it will probably be a real enforced lock down.

Not sure rural Cambodia will suit adventurous loophole searchers like you, it's not for everyone.
Locals in the provinces aren’t taking any chances.

Foreigner means anyone who isn’t a villager. And yes, that’s a bamboo stick gate to enforce it.

Of course not every village is like that.

Good luck and stay safe out there.
Social media doesn't show large movements, it shows the exceptions.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

frizzie77 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm
God'sGift wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:18 pm Is there a curfew or any official banning of going out etc., for foreigners in Phnom Penh right now? thanks
No, not yet anyway. Not for Cambodians, not for foreigners. Why do you ask?
just the usual expat-in-Cambodia, internet rumour mill said so.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

God'sGift wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:26 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm
God'sGift wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:18 pm Is there a curfew or any official banning of going out etc., for foreigners in Phnom Penh right now? thanks
No, not yet anyway. Not for Cambodians, not for foreigners. Why do you ask?
just the usual expat-in-Cambodia, internet rumour mill said so.
A Scots guy who lives here did send out a poorly thought out April fools prank announcement to the effect that forigeners were to respect a curfew of 4pm until 11am.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

jah steu wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:07 am
Ricky Shaw wrote:My guess low number of infected is low number of people being tested.
Possibly. But that doesn’t explain why we aren’t hearing about large numbers of seriously sick people going to the hospitals, which we would have if the infection has been spreading rapidly over the last few weeks.
Exactly what I'm saying to people claiming "the Cambodian numbers cannot be right, they're waaaay too low!"
In fact, I think Cambodia is doing quite alright, compared to some other countries in the region (Malaysia and Thailand).

And that's why I think the lock-down might not be so inevitable as the thread title suggests. Of course everything depends on the number of new cases, but so far the rise is not that dramatic. Remember, the first case was already here late January.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic