Western Union problem

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Re: Western Union problem

Post by bossho »

Roz, I_'ll guarantee you its not confusing to the boss at the WU on Monivong and 154 or her staff.].....
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

bossho wrote:Roz, I_'ll guarantee you its not confusing to the boss at the WU on Monivong and 154 or her staff.].....
Yes but as I said before, I’m in Siem Reap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

sorry totally missed that, cannot imagine the pain of this on the province level, btw Moneygram would bring a grown and sturdy man to tears or worse - my current method of transfer is easy enuf - I just have it sent to my US bank acct and get it here but occasionally get WU's still and that one location is solid - i observe locals in positions of authority using it , often wifey attends too in the local case there which is entertaining
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 am
Ifrenchkiss wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:13 am Hi you could cancel the transfer from the senders end and resend, you will lose the commission only. If the receiver doesn't collect I think there is already a time limit when the transfer would be auto-cancelled and refunded (minus commission) anyway.
This is my plan of action if I can't get the money today.
Not sure you really need to cancel the transaction. Normally you would have the sender go back to the originator of the transaction and they could simply update the transfer. I've had to change receiver names on WU transactions before. It's not a serious problem.

Since you are the sender, I would simply call the Australia customer service number at +61 2923 19729 (easily obtainable from https://www.westernunion.com/au/en/home.html) and tell them you need to update the receiver name on a transfer you sent from Australia.

They should be able to correct any issue for you or at least explain what happened.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It’s all sorted thanks everyone.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:51 am It’s all sorted thanks everyone.
How did you sort it? By going to another branch where the clerk processed the transaction without a care in the world?
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 am Maybe try this one Roz - go back to WU branch
- tell them you have reported this problem to WU Central, and that they asked you for branch name and number, and personal details of staff and manager for a formal report/complaint proceedure
ask for their WU branch number
ask for managers name in full, and same for staff you spoke to
take photo's, formally - not as an angry reaction thing
Tell them WU have asked you specifically to do this as they are very concerned that local branch will not discuss a way to resolve this.
Be polite, organised and show that you are writing all this down for a report.

That may change things. They might suddenly fear they could loose their agency.
Good luck.
If they know they are following policy and they are doing things by the book, they won't budge. When it comes to banking and money transactions, employees here are similar to those in Thailand, stone-faced, stubborn, cold and immovable. Overt threats are rebutted with increasing defiance. The more you push them, the lower the freezing point. They are immune to sob stories and crisis tales. "cannot!" is their favorite response to any plea for flexibility.

Although almost always doomed to fail, I suggest remedying the situation by first checking with the sending entity if the name could be edited.

Another way is, as already suggested by another member, to shop for WU agents, although I read somewhere that multiple queries at different locations might lead to the system flagging or blocking the transaction.

It's really important to ensure that name on passport or ID perfectly matches the receiver's name. It doesn't end here. WU here is known to "interrogate" the receiver about the source and nature of sent funds, sometimes even questioning how sender and receiver are related etc. Thanks to all those Nigerian princes for this increased scrutiny.

Edit--
In the future, to ensure minimal mental trauma from all the "cannots", I suggest using Moneygram. Install the Wing app. Go to Wing and apply for a Wing account. The Wing account I have doesn't have my middle name on it. When done with the account set up, you will be given a Wing card (with which you can withdraw money at any Wing agent later). Now, go to the Wing app and click on the "transfer" icon. You will see the option "Code to Wing". Tap on it, then select "Moneygram". Enter the Moneygram reference number and complete the rest of the steps. If the receiver's name perfectly matches the name on the Wing account, the app will now transfer the money from moneygram to your Wing account. It's a seamless and automated experience. You can then take the money out of your Wing app at any Wing location. The advantage here is you show your passport (KYC) just once at the Wing office during the account set up process.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

numacsys wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:51 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 am Maybe try this one Roz - go back to WU branch
- tell them you have reported this problem to WU Central, and that they asked you for branch name and number, and personal details of staff and manager for a formal report/complaint proceedure
ask for their WU branch number
ask for managers name in full, and same for staff you spoke to
take photo's, formally - not as an angry reaction thing
Tell them WU have asked you specifically to do this as they are very concerned that local branch will not discuss a way to resolve this.
Be polite, organised and show that you are writing all this down for a report.

That may change things. They might suddenly fear they could loose their agency.
Good luck.
If they know they are following policy and they are doing things by the book, they won't budge. When it comes to banking and money transactions, employees here are similar to those in Thailand, stone-faced, stubborn, cold and immovable. Overt threats are rebutted with increasing defiance. The more you push them, the lower the freezing point. They are immune to sob stories and crisis tales. "cannot!" is their favorite response to any plea for flexibility.

Although almost always doomed to fail, I suggest remedying the situation by first checking with the sending entity if the name could be edited.

Another way is, as already suggested by another member, to shop for WU agents, although I read somewhere that multiple queries at different locations might lead to the system flagging or blocking the transaction.

It's really important to ensure that name on passport or ID perfectly matches the receiver's name. It doesn't end here. WU here is known to "interrogate" the receiver about the source and nature of sent funds, sometimes even questioning how sender and receiver are related etc. Thanks to all those Nigerian princes for this increased scrutiny.

Edit--
In the future, to ensure minimal mental trauma from all the "cannots", I suggest using Moneygram. Install the Wing app. Go to Wing and apply for a Wing account. The Wing account I have doesn't have my middle name on it. When done with the account set up, you will be given a Wing card (with which you can withdraw money at any Wing agent later). Now, go to the Wing app and click on the "transfer" icon. You will see the option "Code to Wing". Tap on it, then select "Moneygram". Enter the Moneygram reference number and complete the rest of the steps. If the receiver's name perfectly matches the name on the Wing account, the app will now transfer the money from moneygram to your Wing account. It's a seamless and automated experience. You can then take the money out of your Wing app at any Wing location. The advantage here is you show your passport (KYC) just once at the Wing office during the account set up process.
The Wing site says they cannot send USA $$$ only KHR . The lousy exchange rate means you dont need to take a wheelbarrow to collect $10,000 in Riel.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Western Union problem

Post by bossho »

Gentle Readers and lovers of the Coin,
I have never had this issue of the sender getting interrogated as to the why send the money part. WU is a bit low tech and old school but as the sender and receiver for 2 decades on occasion from a dozen different countries I have not had a hiccup with WU but for the times here in PP that I went to places that advertised WU but they were as clueless as cats on a skateboard as to how to get it done after 30 minutes. Minus the branch on Monivong and St. 154 which follows the simple rules - you do need to know where your sender is sending from and the exact amt sent and the receiver name has to be as in passport along with your address and phone and reason/use of money sent.

I don't want to further the prick Westerner approach to "overly bureaucratic less than helpful can't wait to screw you" regional approach to foreigner transactions at times but as someone who worked with banks here once long ago to address the use of the English language and dealing with Foreign customers in English I have been shocked a lot about the way I have been treated in some banks here recently. As late as 2010 banks addressed this issue very seriously and now they do not care it appears. The mgr. at my favored WU flip flopped on the use of my middle name once, saying that it was required bc it was in my passport and then a minute later was re pitching this matter, saying that no middle name would be accepted bc their system did not have it that way, thus the Asian mind game; heat up the barang with confusion and rhetoric and watch him blow his top off and then blame him for verbally lighting you up with your displeasure at said game,

The Moneygram Wing combination is good to hear, I have had some horrendous experiences trying to use Moneygram here and won't use it - their corporate office could care less that I went to 7 or 8 Moneygram locations and could not receive money due to the games played by those engaged to release that money at well known places like ABA bank on Mao Tse Tung where after 30 minutes I was passed over to a manager who had the gall to tell me I had to open an account there to get the moneygram money. The other 6 places just gave me that all too lovely Khmer computer down no work f off face which was the case actually, the whole Moneygram system did not work at those smaller agents that day. I ended up going to an ABA near O'russey mkt and began our transaction with "Do I have to open an account here to receive money" and I waited for an answer. I got my money 20 minutes later which is fine by me time wise given I was out for a few hours attempting to receive all over town.

As per Wing sent from US or Europe they use World Remit to get it to Wing here. I love Wing here but World Remit appears to favor the anti business interrogation system and has failed me far too many times. Crazy. I did not know about Moneygram/Wing thing but would concur again Wing is awesome to receive or send money.

Best of the best to send receive by far head and shoulders above all others in my experience is to have the money sent via pay.google.com ( if you have gmail you use the same login creds to enter, if you dont have gmail and find that too challenging chill out and sign up - abt 4 minutes to do) No fees with google pay and it connects to your bank and deposits directly, you can even invoice from it.

Paypal is also good but be sure to not mess with the business to consumer side of that platform if possible to avoid 21 day delays, their charges are nominal and is almost as good as google pay.

For larger amounts wires have worked well for over a century.

Cheers all
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Western Union problem

Post by bossho »

Gentle Readers and lovers of the Coin,
I have never had this issue of the sender getting interrogated as to the why send the money part. WU is a bit low tech and old school but as the sender and receiver for 2 decades on occasion from a dozen different countries I have not had a hiccup with WU but for the times here in PP that I went to places that advertised WU but they were as clueless as cats on a skateboard as to how to get it done after 30 minutes. Minus the branch on Monivong and St. 154 which follows the simple rules - you do need to know where your sender is sending from and the exact amt sent and the receiver name has to be as in passport along with your address and phone and reason/use of money sent.

I don't want to further the prick Westerner approach to "overly bureaucratic less than helpful can't wait to screw you" regional approach to foreigner transactions at times but as someone who worked with banks here once long ago to address the use of the English language and dealing with Foreign customers in English I have been shocked a lot about the way I have been treated in some banks here recently. As late as 2010 banks addressed this issue very seriously and now they do not care it appears. The mgr. at my favored WU flip flopped on the use of my middle name once, saying that it was required bc it was in my passport and then a minute later was re pitching this matter, saying that no middle name would be accepted bc their system did not have it that way, thus the Asian mind game; heat up the barang with confusion and rhetoric and watch him blow his top off and then blame him for verbally lighting you up with your displeasure at said game,

The Moneygram Wing combination is good to hear, I have had some horrendous experiences trying to use Moneygram here and won't use it - their corporate office could care less that I went to 7 or 8 Moneygram locations and could not receive money due to the games played by those engaged to release that money at well known places like ABA bank on Mao Tse Tung where after 30 minutes I was passed over to a manager who had the gall to tell me I had to open an account there to get the moneygram money. The other 6 places just gave me that all too lovely Khmer computer down no work f off face which was the case actually, the whole Moneygram system did not work at those smaller agents that day. I ended up going to an ABA near O'russey mkt and began our transaction with "Do I have to open an account here to receive money" and I waited for an answer. I got my money 20 minutes later which is fine by me time wise given I was out for a few hours attempting to receive all over town.

As per Wing sent from US or Europe they use World Remit to get it to Wing here. I love Wing here but World Remit appears to favor the anti business interrogation system and has failed me far too many times. Crazy. I did not know about Moneygram/Wing thing but would concur again Wing is awesome to receive or send money.

Best of the best to send receive by far head and shoulders above all others in my experience is to have the money sent via pay.google.com ( if you have gmail you use the same login creds to enter, if you dont have gmail and find that too challenging chill out and sign up - abt 4 minutes to do) No fees with google pay and it connects to your bank and deposits directly, you can even invoice from it.

Paypal is also good but be sure to not mess with the business to consumer side of that platform if possible to avoid 21 day delays, their charges are nominal and is almost as good as google pay.

For larger amounts wires have worked well for over a century.

Cheers all
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic