OK, LOL - Cultural Relativity

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: OK, LOL - Cultural Relativity

Post by rozzieoz »

This post is just an invitation to be racist. No thanks.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I possibly didn't phrase it right Roz. I'll cop that.
I used a slightly provocative, open ended, opening just to get things rolling. It obviouslt fell flat.
I see lots of posts that i (personally) see as racist, and was just trying to get a serious discussion going to talk about this concept. But it seems that nobody is interested.
Fair enough, CEO really ain't a hot spot for serious discussion - but that ain't going to stop me trying every now and then.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 pm Fair enough, CEO really ain't a hot spot for serious discussion
Stop being so melodramatic..........jesus..........your fantastic thread is all of 4 hours old..............give it some time.......some of us are busy with real life stuff.......

.........I'm sure you'll get some takers as the day progresses.

No need to insult the forum membership at large. Bad form.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

That was not meant as an insult Brody, at all.
and i stand by it. A simple truth, imo.
Does not mean there is not a world of interesting views here, and entertaining.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:44 am FFS, Suddenly everybody is an academic. i just want a good blood and guts argument on the front pages - longstanding friendships wrecked, threats of personal violence, multiple banning orders - that kind of "discussion". lol

Looking at some topics recently the word "culture" and the concept of relativity have been thrown around like Frisbees.
I guess most people just want black and white, right or wrong, huh Bromide? (ps, that <<< is the definition of a bloviator)

try this
Cambodian culture is so primitive..
and ours is so superior - even our eating habits
Okay, I’ll bite:

Would common Cambodian attitudes towards traffic laws and safety, drinking and driving, domestic violence, women’s rights, child abuse, and food preparation (since you asked) be considered cultural? If so, then I expect that a lot of westerners, including many of the posters here, would consider our culture to be superior.

Not me though, I like Cambodia, and it’s culture(?) the way it is. If I didn’t, I’d stay home.

:stir: (I’ve been itching to use that one!)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic