Sweden Keeps Calm and Carries On As Usual

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sweden Keeps Calm and Carries On As Usual

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

'They are leading us to catastrophe': Sweden's coronavirus stoicism begins to jar
There’s a surreal calm in the last country in Europe to hold out against lockdown. But the death toll is rising and some are voicing dissent
Derek Robertson in Malmö

Mon 30 Mar 2020 18.38 BST
Last modified on Mon 30 Mar 2020 20.14 BST

The Øresund Bridge – yes, that bridge – is an engineering marvel linking the Swedish city of Malmö and Copenhagen that normally transports 70,000 people daily. It has fallen eerily silent. Denmark is under coronavirus lockdown, and the Danes have imposed strict border controls. On the Swedish side, the Øresund remains open, although, understandably not many are making that journey.

It feels surreal in Sweden just now. Working from my local cafe, I terror-scroll through Twitter seeing clips of deserted cities, or army trucks transporting the dead in Italy, surrounded by the usual groups of chatty teenagers, mothers with babies and the occasional freelancer.

Outdoors, couples stroll arm in arm in the spring sunshine; Malmö’s cafe terraces do a brisk trade. On the beach and surrounding parkland at Sibbarp there were picnics and barbecues this weekend; the adjoining skate park and playground were rammed. No one was wearing a mask.

The global pandemic has closed down Europe’s economies and confined millions of people across the continent to their homes. But here, schools, gyms, and (fully stocked) shops remain open, as do the borders. Bars and restaurants continue to serve, and trains and buses are still shuttling people all over the country. You can even, if you wish, go to the cinema (it smainly indie fare: The Peanut Butter Falcon and Mr Jones were on at my local arthouse over the weekend).

The precautions that Swedes have been advised to adopt – no gatherings of more than 50 people (revised down from 500 last Friday), avoid social contact if over 70 or ill, try to work from home, table service only in bars and restaurants – seem to have allayed public fears that the shocking images from hospitals in Italy and Spain could be repeated here.

The prime minister, Stefan Löfven, has urged Swedes to behave “as adults” and not to spread “panic or rumours”.

Panic, though, is exactly what many within Sweden’s scientific and medical community are starting to feel...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... own-europe
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Sweden Keeps Calm and Carries On As Usual

Post by Ghostwriter »

Iran has almost the name amount of infected people as my country. Although the quality of healthcare is very different, i guess this video gives a perspective of what it does represent as a result...

Better tightening stuff, Sweden

[media] [/media]
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Sweden Keeps Calm and Carries On As Usual

Post by pczz »

Iwonder how many of the Iranian disappeared and existing political prisoners will be disposed of in those graves
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic