What is in a name..........

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: What is in a name..........

Post by Anchor Moy »

Brody wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:20 pm I assumed that the perceived offense was due to the illustration resembling a sideways vagina.

....zoom in and check it out....looks like one to me.

Lol, trust you to see it like that.
Or maybe it's a piece of the lower intestine ? :dragonchase:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:42 am
pczz wrote:
Arget wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:03 pm good to see a lot of positive excuses but in reality they fucked up and then had to rip it off after two days. There was no "Pub" on the signs.
I am obviouisly thick but what is wrong with "130 gastro" as a name?
Gastro is Australian for having the runs.
So funny.
gatro is english for a pub that serves overpriced food. Obviously a culture specific joke
Gastro just means related to the stomach. So gastro in Australia is gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines) while in the UK gastro in gastro pub is gastronomic meaning fine eating.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:15 pm
pczz wrote:
Arget wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:03 pm good to see a lot of positive excuses but in reality they fucked up and then had to rip it off after two days. There was no "Pub" on the signs.
So funny.
Rubbish. Never heard of anyone with the runs referring to it as gastro.

See Arget's post above ^^ for an education on gastro. There's more to gastro than just the runs.
Same shit different day..........................
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:35 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 am
pczz wrote:
So funny.
gatro is english for a pub that serves overpriced food. Obviously a culture specific joke
Gastro just means related to the stomach. So gastro in Australia is gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines) while in the UK gastro in gastro pub is gastronomic meaning fine eating.
in uk ( and most of europe i guess) gastro stands for gastronomy which is "fine dining". You often hear foodies going on about the gastronomic delight of eating something or other, or that the menu was a gastronomic tour de force etc. We call an upset stomach "the shits" :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic