Land of Smiles

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Land of Smiles

Post by yong »

Having breakfast - leftover fried noodle from yesterday

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

More people are bringing home prepared food to work as there's no sit-in dining at any stall or restaurant. I asked around most street stalls said business dropped 40%.

Went to buy noodle, signs said cannot dine in

My lunch in plastic bags

My $1.60 lunch in office
Last edited by yong on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote - My $1.60 lunch in office, signs said cannot dine in.

So it maybe! I would have no problem having a take away at that price. Going back a few posts I pay more then that for a tin of soup, and then it costs me to heat it up before eating. SternAAlbifrons would save more by eating cold due to him having no microwave. This country is a scandal for price of food.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I recall the price you pay for cream of mushroom.. condensed.
May I suggest making a cream of mushroom soup.
Buy several kinds of fresh mushrooms and make it from scratch...You can make a pot and freeze what you don't eat...you will have a wonderful product for less than a can that you still have to add milk to.
Cambodia and Thailand have great mushroom selections.
it is a very simple soup to make...
you just sweat the shroom with shallots and a bit of garlic in butter....add flour and stir it to make a roux with the shrooms and add chicken stock..a little at a time until you get the consistency you want..finish it with a touch of full fat milk..or cream ...
you can add a touch of brandy to finish..salt and pepper ...chopped parsley...keep as simple as you want or jazz it up.
I would have to cost it out...but, I suspect you could make it for about $1/bowl...no more than $2 for something incredible...
I know how you feel about food cost...
I used to spend a lot in Kampot and Sihanoukville.
I started making just about everything from scratch.
If you get stuck at home it is a good thing to know and it is a positive way to spend your time..
I ate a lot of soups in Thailand...at night after my friend got off work..She would buy them on her way home ...I think it is best to make them at home if possible.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 pm Quote - My $1.60 lunch in office, signs said cannot dine in.

So it maybe! I would have no problem having a take away at that price. Going back a few posts I pay more then that for a tin of soup, and then it costs me to heat it up before eating. SternAAlbifrons would save more by eating cold due to him having no microwave. This country is a scandal for price of food.
As a visitor to Phnom Penh thrice, I found beer is extremely cheap however eating out for a simple noodle meal can be very expensive compared to Thailand.

Breakfast this morning another can of Campbell's
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Thanks Yong, i'll pass.
but Andy will be arriving in 5 mins - i promise
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

yong wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 am
AndyKK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 pm Quote - My $1.60 lunch in office, signs said cannot dine in.

As a visitor to Phnom Penh thrice, I found beer is extremely cheap however eating out for a simple noodle meal can be very expensive compared to Thailand.

Given my tooth extraction problems at the moment your post inspired me to purchase 4 cans of Campbell's the other day for ease of digestion. Years since I've had one, I had a spell working for them in their UK operation in King's Lynn, Norfolk many years ago, soup and Fray Bentos pies were the main factory production lines. A can is lasting me 2 meals dunking a soft roll, sweet corn for lunch today. :D :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

j57 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:40 pm I recall the price you pay for cream of mushroom.. condensed.
May I suggest making a cream of mushroom soup.
Buy several kinds of fresh mushrooms and make it from scratch...You can make a pot and freeze what you don't eat...you will have a wonderful product for less than a can that you still have to add milk to.
Cambodia and Thailand have great mushroom selections.
it is a very simple soup to make...
you just sweat the shroom with shallots and a bit of garlic in butter....add flour and stir it to make a roux with the shrooms and add chicken stock..a little at a time until you get the consistency you want..finish it with a touch of full fat milk..or cream ...
you can add a touch of brandy to finish..salt and pepper ...chopped parsley...keep as simple as you want or jazz it up.
I would have to cost it out...but, I suspect you could make it for about $1/bowl...no more than $2 for something incredible...
I know how you feel about food cost...
I used to spend a lot in Kampot and Sihanoukville.
I started making just about everything from scratch.
If you get stuck at home it is a good thing to know and it is a positive way to spend your time..
I ate a lot of soups in Thailand...at night after my friend got off work..She would buy them on her way home ...I think it is best to make them at home if possible.
Well I started by wanting to leave you a point for that answer of a post, but I could not because it says you are banned. Never the less it deserved a good mark and a reply, being it was a better than your normal dick talk replies.
I am in total agreement with you their, cannot beat homemade soups, also the selection of fresh mushrooms being first class.
The lady of the house makes a good home made soup.
With the tinned one we talk I have just for convenience mainly if get peckish at any time, also I add it too pasta and ham.
This is interesting -

https://www.campbells.com/kitchen/recip ... soup-uses/
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 am
yong wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 am

Given my tooth extraction problems at the moment your post inspired me to purchase 4 cans of Campbell's the other day for ease of digestion. Years since I've had one, I had a spell working for them in their UK operation in King's Lynn, Norfolk many years ago, soup and Fray Bentos pies were the main factory production lines. A can is lasting me 2 meals dunking a soft roll, sweet corn for lunch today. :D :thumb:
Fray Bentos pies now your talking. but last in Norfolk I was to eat pheasant.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:54 pm Fray Bentos pies now your talking. but last in Norfolk I was to eat pheasant.
Out of curiosity just checked Tesco's online, £2 to £2.50 for their pies and pudds, not bad for a bit of Covid doomsday prepping if you were in the UK. If they were 80 to 100 baht here I'd be in for the nostalgia. :voilent4:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic